TravelTalkOnline

French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28

Posted By: Zanshin

French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 07/29/2021 10:17 AM

The statement is
L'État d'urgence sanitaire est décrété sur les territoires de la Guadeloupe, de Saint-Martin et de Saint-Barthélemy. Il entre en vigueur ce mercredi 28 juillet 2021 à minuit. Par ailleurs, il est déjà en vigueur en Martinique, en Guyane et à La Réunion.
(A health emergency state is declared for the territories of Guadeloupe, Saint-Martin and Saint-Barthélemy. It comes into force on Wednesday July 28, 2021 at midnight. In addition, it is already in force in Martinique, Guyana and Reunion). This would seem to have no immediate major change, but allows for other measures to be enacted quickly.

French Government Announcement Link
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 07/29/2021 12:56 PM

I'm not sure what it means, other than I found this under restaurants "Restaurants can continue to welcome customers without exceeding the number of 6 people per table and have a distance of 2 meters between each group, the wearing of masks is mandatory for staff and customers who move and all customers must be seated.
Bars and restaurants close at 23:00, in Saint-Martin, and at 1:00 in Saint-Barthélemy."

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 07/29/2021 01:07 PM

Daily Herald story

Over 1000 active cases on French St. Martin right now!!!!!!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 07/29/2021 02:26 PM

Link doesn't work.

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 07/29/2021 02:33 PM

SXMScubaman - worked for me an hour ago, but the server at the Daily Herald seems to be having problems now.

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 07/29/2021 03:10 PM

Yes, DH having issues with the website
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 07/29/2021 04:35 PM

DH website working again and the link is working.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 07/29/2021 04:55 PM

Error writing file '/tmp/MYNkNBmg' (Errcode: 28 - No space left on device)

Not for me

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 07/29/2021 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by bdeeley
DH website working again and the link is working.

Not for me either.

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 07/29/2021 05:59 PM

I hate it when /tmp fills up!

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 07/29/2021 06:19 PM

I got it to come up just this minute. Hopefully it's fixed now.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 07/29/2021 06:21 PM

If I were in the contract tracing business, I have some guesses as to big transmission sites on the island.

That said, cases are one metric, serious symptoms, hospitalizations, and ICU metrics are the more important metrics.

Hate to say it, but I think recovered cases is equivalent to vaccinations given in desired goodness.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 07/29/2021 06:23 PM

Link worked for me...

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islan...rmits-curfews-and-lockdowns-if-necessary
Posted By: Bahston

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 07/30/2021 11:01 AM

I don't believe the active cases number of 1044 for St Martin, or the number of 542 for St Barth. Looking at the ultimate source data, they're simply not believable.

The Daily Herald cites their source as worldometers.com . Worldometers cites their source as a link to FB posts by ARS Guadeloupe, the French Regional Health Agency. When I follow the link, it brings me to the most recent FB report from ARS. Those numbers appear nowhere in the linked report.

The most recent report shows a cumulative total of 2579 cases for St Martin since March of 2020. It's unlikely that 40% of them are active cases.
The most recent report shows a cumulative total of 1195 cases for St Barth since March of 2020. It's unlikely that almost half of them are active cases.

Over the last 8 weeks, looking at the cited FB page and others, there have been a cumulative 499 new cases reported in St Martin, and a cumulative 195 new cases reported for St Barth, I don't see how 499 and 195 new cases, and 1044 and 542 active cases, can possibly relate to each other, unless there are really loooong COVID cases on both islands.

One more thought - two countries, one island, no border control between the two, and people pass back and forth all day long. How is it possible for St Martin to have 1044 active cases, while on the same day Sint Maarten has 78?

It looks like worldometers.com is scraping data off of other web pages. Their data scraper for St Martin and St Barth is broken, and I think that it has been for months.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 07/30/2021 12:26 PM

Very good points.

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 07/30/2021 02:35 PM

If I'm not mistaken but the vaccination rate is much higher on the Dutch side than the French side. That could factor in.

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 07/30/2021 02:38 PM

The vaccination rate is much higher on the Dutch side, correct. But those numbers, as between the two countries, do not appear that both of them could be correct. It is odd that there is no official count for the French side..
Posted By: dvesc

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 07/30/2021 06:30 PM

This report shows the vaccinations in St. Martin at 27.8 percent with one shot and 21.1 percent fully vaccinated. The numbers are from July 21. The percentages are in the PDF at the end.

https://www.santepubliquefrance.fr/...rtin-saint-barthelemy-du-23-juillet-2021

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 07/30/2021 07:27 PM

Is there anywhere on that page where it shows the total number of active cases?
Posted By: dvesc

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 07/30/2021 08:19 PM

I don't see a total number of active cases, but it does say there were 56 new positive cases in this most recent week and 52 new cases the week before. Here's the chart from the report. The new cases are tracked in red and correspond with the numbers on the left.

Attached picture SM Cases.JPG

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 07/31/2021 10:07 PM

Carol, I’ve searched for, but never found, a report of the number of active cases. St Martin’s reports come out of Guadeloupe, and that does not appear to be a reported statistic either there or in St Maritin.

Dvresc, good link. Interesting.

As of the 7/29 ARS report, data through 7/25, 29.01% of the French-side population had received at least one dose of a COVID vaccination, and so had 36.89% of the over-18 population. That is 9833 people with a first dose, 7165 with a second.
Posted By: cruzer

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 08/01/2021 02:01 PM

I haven't used this site for a while, so don't know how accurate it is, but it shows the Dutch side at 81 and French side at 1142 active cases.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

eta: you can sort on a column by clicking the heading.

Re: French side declares a Health Emergency effective July 28 - 08/01/2021 05:06 PM

As noted above, IMHO Worldometers information is suspect for the French Caribbean islands. Their website data scraper looks to be broken.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline