TravelTalkOnline

Florida to SXM

Posted By: doctorj

Florida to SXM - 11/09/2021 11:40 PM

We will be new residents of Daytona the first of the year. I would like to ask for airport/airline recommendations to SXM.

REALLY APPRECIATE your input.

carib cheers,
doctorj
Posted By: pat

Re: Florida to SXM - 11/09/2021 11:47 PM

Jet Blue out of Fort Lauderdale to PJIA?

Re: Florida to SXM - 11/10/2021 12:50 AM

Thanks Pat!
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Florida to SXM - 11/10/2021 02:25 AM

Might also look at Frontier out of Orlando.
Posted By: TravelHat

Re: Florida to SXM - 11/10/2021 02:30 AM

Did you buy a place at Margaritaville?
Posted By: moontide

Re: Florida to SXM - 11/10/2021 02:44 AM

Jet Blue is my first choice. Just very comfortable overall with them.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Florida to SXM - 11/10/2021 01:59 PM

doctorj--Nonstops from Florida are as follows: (Delta has NO non-stops from Florida--only way to get there is a connection through Atlanta)

Closest to you would be Frontier from Orlando--Saturdays ONLY as of now. Only about an hour drive from Daytona. They have been having some STUPID cheap prices, (like $220 rountrip) especially if you join their discount club, which costs money. I have flown Frontier before, but never to SXM. They charge for EVERYTHING.

There are several nonstops from south Florida, which would involve EITHER a connection or an approximate 3.5 to 4 hour drive each way, depending on where you are in Daytona.
AA goes from Miami, every day.
Jet Blue goes from FLL, every day during high season, usually about 4-5 days per week during low season.
Spirit goes from FLL, only on Saturdays. Discount carrier, they charge for everything. Haven't looked at their prices recently. I have flown Spirit several times in the US, maybe once or twice to SXM. VERY uncomfortable seats.
Frontier flies from Miami, again, only Saturdays AND some STUPID cheap lights, like $160 round trip!!!!! Yikes. Again, they charge for EVERYTHING.

I really don't know what the connections are from Daytona to anywhere else, so don't know what to tell you about connections. For US, we live 1.5 hours from Tampa, 1.5 hours from Orlando, and 3.5 hours from Miami/FLL. The way that the connections work here, it takes us LESS overall time to just drive the 3.5 hours to Miami, versus driving to Tampa or Orlando and connecting to Miami. Your flight connections may work better than that. And it depends on where you are, versus the airport.

Usually we prefer to just do the schlep to Miami/FLL for the non-stop, as connections can always be problematic. I do like Delta overall, but we rarely do them, because of the connection. If you can stomach Frontier and only on Saturday, that might be a good option.

Re: Florida to SXM - 11/10/2021 04:06 PM

Thank you, Thank you. Thank you.
Very informative.
Thanks for the breakdown Carol.
TravelHat,
We will be newbies to Margaritaville Daytona.
We were lucky to buy a resale.

carib cheers all.
doctorj

Re: Florida to SXM - 11/10/2021 04:52 PM

doctorj--You're welcome.
Posted By: EdB

Re: Florida to SXM - 11/11/2021 02:31 AM

Carol.....Doesn't Spirit fly from FLL...not Miami??
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Florida to SXM - 11/11/2021 03:22 AM

I couldn't imagine flying Spirit domestic let alone international.

Re: Florida to SXM - 11/11/2021 01:56 PM

Ed--sorry, yes, you're right. I will fix it.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline