TravelTalkOnline

Wed., 11/10/2021

Posted By: pat

Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/10/2021 07:52 PM

Wednesday, Nov 10, 2021

And another island day dawns. Too bad I didn’t get up to witness it’s arrival.

The beach staff has already raked and disposed of the small amount of seaweed that accumulated overnight and Saba has left for wherever it is she goes so frequently. But in the words of my oldest granddaughter when she was about two, “it’s okay, Nana. She be back.” One cruise ship passed by that I saw earlier and another passing by right now, and there’s at least one large yacht awaiting entrance to the lagoon so far. And so begins another day in paradise……..and here comes the rain! No coffee on the balcony this morning?

Lunch was at Marks Place with a long-time island friend. Disappointed there were no PEI mussels but we will definitely return for them later in our trip. In the meantime DH had a salad and I had a bacon Gouda burger that was out of this world. I don’t often eat burgers but this was delicious and huge so sadly about a third of it was left on the plate. Good thing we didn’t do breakfast this morning or there would have been more.

A few observations along the way:

Tomorrow is a huge island holiday and I think everyone was out stocking up their kitchens in anticipation - kind of like some New Englanders do when the weatherman mentions snow. Traffic was huge and the parking lot by Carrefour was packed. Trying to park near Marks was interesting.

Going through The Sunset Beach (Maho Beach) road you couldn’t help but notice there’s not much beach and lots of boulders and a gazillion people walking on the sea wall and blocking the road. I doubt you could squeeze a chaise between the boulders and the waters’ edge. But maybe……

We haven’t seen but a very small amount of “St. Maarten snowflakes” up till today but going ‘over the hill’ there seemed to be a major blizzard taking place.

And tonight, thanks to the invitation of friends, is dinner at Gutside! It’s been ages since we were last there and I can’t wait…….😊😊
Posted By: fabila

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/10/2021 07:58 PM

Pat I had Marks kettle of mussels for the first time last week. They were outstanding. I’m sorry it took me so long to order them.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/10/2021 08:02 PM

I've never had the mussels at Marks, but will have to make sure to do that this trip, based on numerous reviews! I hope your drive over to Gutside is uneventful!!

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/10/2021 08:08 PM

We have had them several times. The kettle is large, the broth they’re served in is delicious and they give you all the bread you might want to do dunky-dunky. And I think they are well under $25.00 per order. 🙂🙂
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/10/2021 08:42 PM

Thanks for another update. I think Mark's Place has one of the better burgers on the island, along with an overall great menu that is one of my all-time favorites. The mussels are a great deal as well, when you can get them.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/10/2021 08:53 PM

Other than traffic, you should have no problem getting to Gutside. I had lunch in Grand Case today. No barriers, but very heavy traffic.
Posted By: M>F

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/10/2021 09:55 PM

HI Pat, I've been to the island 7 times and not heard the term 'St. Martin Snowflakes' . what is that?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/10/2021 10:03 PM

Pat, fresh mussels every Friday at Mark's Place
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/10/2021 10:38 PM

M/F--Snowflakes are white butterflies.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/10/2021 10:41 PM

Pat--right now, Tuesday and Wednesday are about the only days with cruise ship passengers in, so those days are a PITA by Sunset, but hopefully not a problem otherwise. Sure sounds like your weather has been less than optimal so far. Hopefully it will improve.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/10/2021 11:35 PM

Bon appettite
Posted By: jeepers

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/11/2021 01:01 AM

what did u have at gutside? We should go there. It's just before where we stay at monreve. We drive by a couple of times a day but it's hardly open.

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/11/2021 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by M&GTF
HI Pat, I've been to the island 7 times and not heard the term 'St. Martin Snowflakes' . what is that?

It’s a term used to discuss the little white butterflies (moths?) that seem to appear at certain times of the year. It’s not at all unusual to see the occasional butterfly flitting about - hence snowflake - but today we saw hundreds and hundreds of them - ergo my use of the word blizzard.

Elaine,

We will definitely return for the mussels.

Carol,

Quite honestly, the rain hasn’t been a big deal except for the puddles on White Sands Rd…. I am a firm believer in worse case scenario - make lemonade.

Jeepers,

Gutside is a good place to go in a group situation. To go as a couple you will probably be the only ones there. They are open for lunch only on Sunday and close at three and closed on Mondays. Do make a reservation because rumor has it - no reservations - they don’t open at all.

DH had garlic shrimp and I had a seafood platter and they were very good. The other couple had a snapper plate and the garlic shrimp and were also pleased with their meals. I think the dinner checks were both about $50.00 per couple with wine plus a generous tip. Not fancy but a pleasant evening in an out of the way space.
Posted By: fabila

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/11/2021 01:31 AM

Yes, mussel’s kettle was $24.95 last week.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/11/2021 03:21 AM

I've said it before. Sub the fries for pasta. So good.

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/11/2021 10:08 AM

Who has room for either one, Scuba? Between the mussels and the broth soaked bread we couldn’t quite finish all the mussels, never mind adding pasta or fries. So very good……
Posted By: crsxm

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/11/2021 11:16 AM

Enjoying your daily updates -- never thought of those butterflies as snowflakes. You so are right, sometimes the hillside is just filled with them and it is like "island snow".

We've never been to Gutside? or at least I don't think we have --where's it located?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/11/2021 12:07 PM

Forget the fries AND pasta. Get the garlic bread! LOL

St. Maarten snow! Gotta love it
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/11/2021 12:22 PM

Gutside was great!
Once again I neglected to take pictures.
Richard and Lourdes were perfect hosts.
It’s been years of trying to get there, but my husband
stopped during our 2 1/2 traffic jam
and woke Richard up! 😂🤣
Our reservations were made!!

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/11/2021 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by crsxm
Enjoying your daily updates -- never thought of those butterflies as snowflakes. You so are right, sometimes the hillside is just filled with them and it is like "island snow".

We've never been to Gutside? or at least I don't think we have --where's it located?

We were fascinated by Gutside as we would drive by it enroute to Friars Baie so finally, quite a few years back, we stopped in on our way to the beach and made a reservation. It’s on the main road going to Friars on the right just after you turn to go to the beach. We hadn’t been back for years but when the invitation to join the Anzalones was offered we jumped at the opportunity to go and not to have to drive.

Thank you, Terry and Rit. We thoroughly enjoyed the ride, the meal and the company. 🙂🙂

I would love to take credit for the terminology but it was coined long before I ever thought of it. But it does seem so appropriate, doesn’t it?!
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/11/2021 07:06 PM

We have also driven by Gutside a gazillion times but never stopped.....we WILL stop during our next visit

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/11/2021 09:14 PM

It’s island food cooked in the island way. And they don’t peel the shrimp in their cooked shrimp dishes so be forewarned! 😊😊
Posted By: RM5 LI

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/13/2021 01:55 PM

Pat, I’ve been enjoying your trip reports. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. I was going to ask about “St. Maarten Snowflakes” but it was answered. Wow! That must be some sight. smile. I look forward to your next report. Thanks! Enjoy!
Posted By: blackmercedes

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/13/2021 02:30 PM

Hi Pat!!! We were headed to Gutside on Monday but saw Richard in Marigot when we stopped for a beer and he said he was closed. It was a WONDERFUL and huge shocking surprise to see him. He was behind me and covered my eyes! Too funny. We did not go back over to the French side this year so we were not able to see Lourdes. They are wonderful people and friends through the years. We LOVE visiting with them. Gutside Rocks!

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/13/2021 02:36 PM

Thank you, LI.

We’ve been coming to the island for almost fifty years and for the most part we’ve pretty much binderrdunndat and have no great inclination to do much of it again. But that doesn’t stop us from loving all that is SXM - the people, the beaches and most of all, beyond the friends we’ve made over the years, the sounds and sights that are St. Maarten. The surf, the snowflakes, and the list does go on and on. Just not liking so many of the new building projects and the traffic but it is what it is, right?

And rd tge trip reports I hope I’m not boring people to tears……..
Posted By: blackmercedes

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/13/2021 02:39 PM

Your reports are always so pleasant and witty. I enjoy reading all of them!!!

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/13/2021 02:39 PM

Sue,

I’m sure Gutside isn’t for everyone and while I can’t claim a personal relationship there they make you feel very comfortable and the island style cooking is refreshing from all the high end fancy foods we tend to eat.

Again, sorry we missed you.

And thank you ……..
Posted By: RM5 LI

Re: Wed., 11/10/2021 - 11/14/2021 03:57 AM

Pat, wow, 50 years! That’s fantastic. I’m sure you have some wonderful stories of all your adventures on the island over the years. St. Maarten is very beautiful indeed. The hi-risers and the traffic are not my cup of tea, but you’re right, it is what it is. Looking forward to getting back there soon.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline