TravelTalkOnline

The Palms

Posted By: PrairieGirl

The Palms - 12/14/2021 09:37 PM

In all our visits (over 20 now) we have primarily stayed in the Oyster Pond area. With a week at Simpson Bay this year, I was excited to go to restaurants that even though very good, just aren’t worth the drive over at night.

Based on the numerous positive reviews here, last night we dined at The Palms for the first time. Maurice had the drunken ribs and pronounced them the best ribs he had ever had on island. I tasted them and agreed. I did think that $35 was maybe a bit pricey for ribs, but we have noticed that ALL of the restaurant meals are more expensive this trip. I don’t know if it is Irma or COVID related, and I don’t care. The people here have to make a living and tourism $$ have been scant these last few years. Still a good value to me.

I had the shrimp curry and the chef was kind enough to make it mild for me. I love the flavor in curries and know that they don’t have to be hot to be delicious. Unfortunately, not every restaurant realizes that fact. Not a problem here, mild yet still packed with flavor.

We had great service and and an extremely pleasant evening. Loved the vibe, casual yet very attentive service. I understand now why it is on the list of favorites for so many TTOLers!
Posted By: Kennys

Re: The Palms - 12/14/2021 09:54 PM

Yes $ 35.00 for Ribs is a bit pricey but glad that all went well.
Do enjoy your rest of the vacation.
Posted By: Todd

Re: The Palms - 12/14/2021 10:15 PM

Great to hear to hear you got to enjoy The Palms. I haven't done a report yet but my other favorites in that area based on our last trip would also include Astra noting that we tend to just order appetizers which becomes plenty for a meal and we ate at Sale and Pepe this last trip and while in the past I have been happy but not exactly excited to eat there this last trip was awesome. Enjoy!

I do want to add, yes they are expensive but nobody does spare ribs as well as Greg. A lot of time goes into those ribs.
Posted By: kim

Re: The Palms - 12/14/2021 10:41 PM

I actually left Joans leftover ribs and the carrot cake in my freezer hoping to have it when we get back! She raved over the ribs!!!!!
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: The Palms - 12/14/2021 11:21 PM

Greg's Drunken Ribs are not your typical island ribs. I always get two meals out of one order, which makes them very economical, in addition to how delicious they are.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: The Palms - 12/15/2021 12:19 AM

Yes, that is a lot for ribs. What's the price for Mark's all you can eat ribs?? Something like $20?
Posted By: Kennys

Re: The Palms - 12/15/2021 12:53 AM

Yes Carol and not that I eat ribs but its too pricey for ribs .
Posted By: PrairieGirl

Re: The Palms - 12/15/2021 01:04 AM

But drop dead delicious!
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: The Palms - 12/15/2021 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by GaKaye
Greg's Drunken Ribs are not your typical island ribs. I always get two meals out of one order, which makes them very economical, in addition to how delicious they are.

Same for me. Not at all expensive when you can get two meals out of an order.
Posted By: bobbarb

Re: The Palms - 12/15/2021 03:32 AM

We went to palms for the first time in November and enjoyed it. I couldn't bring myself to pay $35 for ribs as I go to Marks twice a year and get the ribs which are very good and a full rack is under $20. In past years I would get all you can eat ribs for something like $25 and I would get 3 servings along with the great scalloped potatoes and salad. I enjoyed the spicy lasagna and my enjoyed her curry dish, she also asked for to have it mild. I am not nocking the palms but thought $35 for ribs was pricy. My wife tried to talk me in getting them as she knows I like ribs.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: The Palms - 12/15/2021 05:01 AM

I tried those drunken ribs once. To me they were just OK. Not worth 35.00 leftovers or not.
Posted By: snuba

Re: The Palms - 12/15/2021 02:34 PM

My son ordered them and I tried one, was good but not for $35, didn’t think they were that special. Now the lasagna and curried shrimp are a different story! Both are excellent and priced reasonably. Funny how people’s tastes vary.
Posted By: belair209

Re: The Palms - 12/15/2021 03:17 PM

$20 for all you can eat ribs sounds about right for Mark's. Can let you know for sure in about 2 weeks when we' return to SXM. After feeling like we had the island to ourselves last January due to fears of Covid and getting the proper island entry paperwork correct keeping so many regular visitors away in 2021, we're looking forward to seeing how SXM bounces back in 2022.
Posted By: Ritchard

Re: The Palms - 12/20/2021 05:43 PM

We eat at The Palms I would think more than half of our Friday nights. Greg and Jo have become like family. If you go, you'll want to try the signature cocktail: the Passionfruit Capirinha. Delicious and deceivingly POTENT.
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: The Palms - 12/20/2021 06:38 PM

We love The Palms. To us the it has gotten a bit more pricey but I guess everything has so we look for cheaper options more often.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline