TravelTalkOnline

St. Martin, Part 2

Posted By: lhbsurf

St. Martin, Part 2 - 12/15/2021 01:35 PM

After a bit of worrying about the protests on the French side, we have arrived and things are lovely. The Winair Flight to St. Eustatius (where we were visiting with my cousin) was a little late arriving so I thought we'd be delayed, but no, they landed at noon, we took back off for SXM at 12:07 so we only arrived 5 minutes late. There were 4 of us on the flight, by the time we cleared customs and immigrations, our bags were waiting for us - whole process from stepping off the plane maybe 15 minutes.

We were pretty early, so some other car rental guys called Lesley for us and he was right there in a few minutes. He advised we might want to stay away from Sandy Ground, but otherwise we should be fine. We did and so far things seem quite normal.

Yesterday we went down to Happy Bay and had a chicken lunch with Dany and enjoyed talking with him. The gendarmes had a boat and about 50 people... we were curious... Dany said a ceremony and pictures... some of them have been there for 5 years and such. It was quite interesting to watch the fanfare. Monday evening we went to Le Bistronome in Grand Case and I must say we both thought it was the best meal we've had since we've been on the islands (we've been here about 14 days at this point). He had the scallops and I had the lobster and we shared a lovely chocolate dessert. We each had a glass of French chardonnay and the bill was less than $100.... we highly recommend... and might go again haha!! (sorry, I'm terrible at remembering to take photos of my food - I'm so excited to dig in!). There were several tables full, but still plenty empty. We haven't found any restaurants to be overflowing except Big C's one night. Tonight we are going to Bistro Caraibes and trying to decide on where else to try for our last few nights here.

A few pics.... first look at SXM, Sunset from the Villa, and Rainbow over Anguilla this morning. The wind was blowing so it never rained on me... pushed it down more towards the other end of the island! I never get tired of this view!

Attached picture IMG_4510.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_4541.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_4571.jpeg
Posted By: bostonbob

Re: St. Martin, Part 2 - 12/15/2021 05:03 PM

Enjoying your reports. Glad you were able to make plan work out. I would have to add Spiga to my must visit restaurants. Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: St. Martin, Part 2 - 12/15/2021 05:29 PM

OK, well, I think I recognize where you are staying! smile I thought you were staying at Orient area? Perhaps I got you confused with another poster? Anyway, that is a lovely view. Jules is pretty clued in with French side goings' on, so hopefully he or his daughter will let you know if something is up.
Posted By: pointofview

Re: St. Martin, Part 2 - 12/16/2021 12:18 AM

I too would give an evening to Spiga for very delicious Italian in a relaxed setting. I agree with you about Bistronome being great.

Re: St. Martin, Part 2 - 12/16/2021 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
OK, well, I think I recognize where you are staying! smile I thought you were staying at Orient area? Perhaps I got you confused with another poster? Anyway, that is a lovely view. Jules is pretty clued in with French side goings' on, so hopefully he or his daughter will let you know if something is up.

Ha! I'd say you probably do..... I found it from reading reviews on here! I was a little concerned because I booked with Verne, then he retired before we got here. But Jules' daughter Cindy seems to have taken over and has been wonderful and very helpful to us so far.

It appears I need to add Spiga to my short list! I don't think we've had Italian since we've been down here, so that might be a great choice! Thanks for the recommendations.

One other question.... Dany mentioned a "festival" happening in Grand Case, we thought on Sunday evening. But now, we're wondering if it is Saturday evening. Does anyone know anything about an event happening in Grand Case this weekend? We can't find any information on it, but are thinking we don't want to be stuck in Grand Case or in traffic.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: St. Martin, Part 2 - 12/16/2021 12:18 PM

Glad you're having great time. Where is Bistronome in Grand Case?

Re: St. Martin, Part 2 - 12/16/2021 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by RonDon
Glad you're having great time. Where is Bistronome in Grand Case?

It's right across from the big public parking lot. Near Le Pressoir.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: St. Martin, Part 2 - 12/16/2021 12:30 PM

Is this where a restaurant named NICE was located? Or is NICE still there?

Re: St. Martin, Part 2 - 12/16/2021 01:39 PM

You must have booked quite a while ago, if you booked with Verne, as I think he has been retired for a while. So, Jules' daughter is handling everything now? Jules is really quite a lovely man and an interesting person. Hope you get to meet him. Presuming you have an email address for his daughter? Perhaps she knows about the festival in Grande Case.

Enjoy!
Posted By: mahokid

Re: St. Martin, Part 2 - 12/16/2021 09:54 PM

Although we had a great meal at Spiga this past August / September our best meal of out two weeks was at Le Pressoir.
Excellent refined service. creative menu on the more expensive side but worth the culinary experience.
They make their own butter which is special as I usually don't eat the bread to refrain from filling up
Usually other kitchen techniques, not used by most other restaurants
Had their sous vide chicken at lunch and was incredible

Enjoy the remaining time

Re: St. Martin, Part 2 - 12/18/2021 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by RonDon
Is this where a restaurant named NICE was located? Or is NICE still there?

I'm not sure, idk where NICE was located.... we have been to Le Bistronome earlier and Le Pressoir last night (it was excellent) they are right together. I didn't notice a restaurant called NICE, but wasn't looking for it.

And I checked with Cindy on the "festival" and she didn't know. A shop owner told us she thought they were having a Christmas parade on Sunday, so that sounds like what he must have been talking about.
Posted By: indi

Re: St. Martin, Part 2 - 12/18/2021 03:09 PM

May I ask the name of the villa? Wonderful view!

Re: St. Martin, Part 2 - 12/18/2021 05:44 PM

indi--since she's still there, she may not want to post the name. Sending you a PM.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: St. Martin, Part 2 - 12/18/2021 06:22 PM

Carol, I would be interested as well.

Re: St. Martin, Part 2 - 12/18/2021 08:08 PM

Georgia--I responded on your thread.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline