TravelTalkOnline

Food on the French side of Oyster Pond

Posted By: PrairieGirl

Food on the French side of Oyster Pond - 12/24/2021 02:37 AM

We dined at L’Oasis and BZH, both in Oyster Pond Village. Both meals were fabulous, the epitome of why I love to eat at a French restaurant. The attention to small details and the sensation that can only be described as a flavor explosion in your mouth!

Sure the spots here are more casual than Grand Case, but the quality is on par and the price is far less. Coupled with less than a 10 minute drive and no parking issues, we haven’t bothered to go back to Grand Case at night for several years now.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Food on the French side of Oyster Pond - 12/24/2021 03:23 AM

Good to know.
Posted By: TravelHat

Re: Food on the French side of Oyster Pond - 12/24/2021 03:24 AM

I feel the same way about Orient Village
Posted By: mahokid

Re: Food on the French side of Oyster Pond - 12/24/2021 03:46 AM

Big Fish is also in the area and used to be a nice evening out.
We haven't been there for a few years since Michael & Theresa sold and the chef took ownership.
Food should still be good but Michael & Theresa were the great team out front.
Posted By: MotownTim

Re: Food on the French side of Oyster Pond - 12/24/2021 08:58 AM

Not bad for a gal from Edam, Saskatchewan.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Food on the French side of Oyster Pond - 12/24/2021 09:58 AM

I'm with you on this, that whole vibe is so cool!!!
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: Food on the French side of Oyster Pond - 12/24/2021 04:36 PM

I'll attest to the quality at those 2 restaurants, whether for fine dining or casual meals. And nearby is Mama Pizza.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Food on the French side of Oyster Pond - 12/24/2021 06:34 PM

Not on the Frenchside but close enough is https://www.oysterbaybeachresort.com/oyster-bays-new-veranda-market-bistro/

Veranda, OBBR and another place which I am not sure is still open was the place uphill from Captain Oliver’s which last I remember was Quai Ouest.
Posted By: ChiTownHarry

Re: Food on the French side of Oyster Pond - 12/24/2021 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by sxmmartini
I am not sure is still open was the place uphill from Captain Oliver’s which last I remember was Quai Ouest.

Quai Quest was closed when we were on the island in October. BZH and l'Oasis are two of our favorites.
Posted By: jeepers

Re: Food on the French side of Oyster Pond - 12/24/2021 08:16 PM

FYI Mike & Theresa own a restaurant called cucina Urbana great italian food in Cobourg ON Canada on our lake Ontario waterfront. Great couple excellent food!
Not sure how well you knew them but her Mom just passed away. They do well!
Posted By: PrairieGirl

Re: Food on the French side of Oyster Pond - 12/25/2021 03:56 PM

Sxm martini - alas Quai Ouest appears to be no more. It was one of our favorites.

Our first day we went over there to make a reservation and the amount of deterioration in the Captain Oliver complex since our last visit two years ago was heartbreaking. Nadia had her restaurant survive the hurricane only to have all paths into her establishment eventually make the derelict buildings at Mullett look like palaces in comparison.

The closest parking lot was always relatively secluded and dark at night, but we never felt unsafe. Now even in broad daylight this was an area that it was clear we didn’t belong. So sad.
Posted By: Bonifnaf

Re: Food on the French side of Oyster Pond - 12/26/2021 05:31 PM

Big Fish is one of my favorite places to eat on the island since it reopened after Irma. Chef Lesley does a magnificent job and Donna is charming handling everything out front. The service is always excellent and many of the cocktail choices from Michael the bartender are unique and habit-forming. Parking is easy and safe. I strongly recommend it.
Posted By: 320sycamore

Re: Food on the French side of Oyster Pond - 12/27/2021 01:26 AM

Not sure what the name of the restaurant is on the French side of Oyster Bay at the bottom of the little hill but it used to be Tabby Cat back in the day, but the point is they have a great charcuterie board app if you're on the way back from the beach looking for a good snack.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline