TravelTalkOnline

Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation

Posted By: Lucky13

Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/18/2022 08:38 PM

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/federal-judge-blocks-mask-mandate-for-public-transportation

The ruling of a US District Judge is binding on the Federal Government unless stayed or reversed, and the government hasn't indicated whether it will appeal.

Finally some shreds of sanity returning!
Posted By: George1234

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/18/2022 09:45 PM

Not supposed to be political!!
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/18/2022 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by George1234
Not supposed to be political!!

And so far, it is not political that I can see.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/18/2022 10:26 PM

Not political in my book. Just reporting news most of us are waiting for. There has also been some talk about discontinuing the 24 hr requirement for testing for returning international flights to USA.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/18/2022 11:09 PM

We shall see what happens. I very much expected the US attorney to appeal the ruling, but maybe not.
Posted By: Jaybird

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 12:00 AM

I hope it holds up. We leave Friday. Submitting EHAS tomorrow. That's 3 days. Right?? Hoping for Verifly approval after receiving EHAS approval. Verifly has already approved our vaccination cards. Getting excited.

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 12:17 AM

TSA at Seattle International Airport announced they will not enforce mask mandate. Alaska Air just put Masks Optional on their website. Flight to and from Canada will still be required.

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 12:20 AM

Delta just announced the same for employees and passengers.
Posted By: pat

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 12:31 AM

Any word from Jet Blue yet?

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 12:47 AM

Looks like the White House cancelled the mask mandate extension and leaving it up to individuals to make own decisions. I doubt any airline will be mandating to wear masks now.
Posted By: Jaybird

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 01:08 AM

Friend that works for American just posted on Facebook that masks were optional on American now.
Posted By: FatCat04

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 01:12 AM

Online many people are reporting from flights that airplane captains are happily informing their passengers that they can take off their masks if they choose. The Points Guy is reporting "Tonight, United, Alaska, Delta, American and Southwest Airlines all announcing they would drop their mask requirements." I think it is finally over folks.

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 01:16 AM

👍👏👍Now let the powers get rid of the negative test to return to USA on international flights.🤞🙏
Posted By: George1234

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
[quote=George1234]Not supposed to be political!!

And so far, it is not political that I can see.[/quot

"Finally some shreds of sanity returning! " This smacks of anti masking jn my opinion, and shouldn't be accepted just because it is in your favor.
Posted By: FatCat04

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 02:44 AM

Regardless this is big news and news that impacts many of us here.

USA Today story lists the responses of all the major airlines as of 8:30ish tonight EDT.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...-mask-mandate-planes-flights/7362763001/
Posted By: badbenni

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 05:58 AM

This is Great news. I hope the ruling by this judge sticks so we can judge for ourselves whether want to wear a mask or not on a plane going forward.
Posted By: irina

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 06:27 AM

Not for me. I am immunocompromised so I will stil wear my mask. I don't understand the being happy thing.
i
Posted By: bizzottom

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 08:38 AM

jet Blue probably doesn't have enough available staff to respond
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 11:30 AM

This doesn’t pertain to international flights just Domestic flights in the USA
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by irina
Not for me. I am immunocompromised so I will stil wear my mask. I don't understand the being happy thing.
i

And that is your choice. The vast majority of us are not immunocompromised, and are therefore happy that we are not forced to wear them.

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by sxmmartini

Not entirely accurate; it depends on the requirements of the destination.
Posted By: Uksimonusa

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by GaKaye

So what are the requirements of SXM?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 11:52 AM

Flying today and tomorrow. We'll be the individuals making our own decisions to wear a mask.

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Uksimonusa
Originally Posted by GaKaye

So what are the requirements of SXM?

I can't answer that, but friends are flying there today, so I'll find out.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
Flying today and tomorrow. We'll be the individuals making our own decisions to wear a mask.

thumbsup
Posted By: CaribEagle

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine

Good for you, I am just happy that your decision does not dictate mine. When I fly next month I will not be wearing a mask. We can all get along and be respectful of the choices others make.

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 12:56 PM

Very nicely stated and I agree absolutely!

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 02:05 PM

I too will make my own decision. I will wear it boarding and on the plane until the plane is fully boarded as I'll be one of the first on sitting in FC and all the others will be walking past me without masks breathing down. One fully boarded my mask will come off.

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by bizzottom
jet Blue probably doesn't have enough available staff to respond

They are listed in this article.
LINK
Posted By: Jeff_C

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 03:07 PM

Hi Folks,
Leaving tomorrow out of EWR .
Now I can't wait till they let you smoke again on the plane !!!! JUST KIDDING !!!!!!

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/19/2022 03:30 PM

You had me until I got to the "JUST KIDDING !!!!!!" laugh
Posted By: Todd

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/20/2022 01:46 AM

Long long overdue. Looking forward to not wearing a mask and if there is an appeal which I fully expect there to be one then I hope they appeal the decision by the court but still end the mask mandate.

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/20/2022 12:59 PM

I am really surprised that the Justice Dept did not immediately file an appeal and ask for the mandate to remain in place. The standard for it remaining in place would be met fairly easily on appeal, so perhaps they are not going to appeal at all.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/20/2022 01:06 PM

I think the Gov was going to drop the mandate after the latest extension of a few weeks so probably no appeal. Now the return testing is more of an issue for me and I would REALLY like to see that dropped.

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/20/2022 01:12 PM

boucharda--I'm with you on that one. I will wear my mask on a plane for a while regardless, and ESPECIALLY at the airport, in those huge lines!!!! But I figure we will still have to test in June..
Posted By: bethandsteve

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/20/2022 01:47 PM

We flew yesterday from SXM to MIA and then on to STL on AA. As we got on the plane in St Martin the flight attendant who was not masked said masks were optional. Probably 70%-80% of the fliers did not wear a mask. The pilots and the flight attendants were not masked. Same on the flight from MIA to STL.
Posted By: Whale Tail

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/20/2022 01:47 PM

Carol we wore our mask on the flight home as required. except for eating and drinking. Our plane once landed was only allowed to release 75 passengers at a time because the terminal in Toronto was full we were in first class and were in the first group. The maze inside was huge and felt that definitely a mask was necessary and required. Now Canadians do not have to test to return but going through Customs my passport got a green dot and my wife got a pink dot which means she was picked for random testing which meant another huge line. She already got the results, negative. But now for the next 14 days we will get an e-mail asking if we have any symptoms BS. At least EHAS only requires a 5 day temperature check.
Posted By: Seaisle

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/21/2022 01:00 AM

Suggest those wearing mask use an N95. Little data supporting efficacy of cloth masks.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/21/2022 12:16 PM

Our experience past two days international travel. Tuesday GCM - MIA. This was the day the mandate was lifted. GCM terminal was fully masked as I expect most folks did not know or GCM mandated it. Once airborne the pilot announced the change and while there were a few woooo hoooo's most stayed masked. Arrival at MIA terminal and again probably 75 % masked.

Wednesday MIA to SXM again I would guess after bypassing a line a mile long at TSA about 2/3 to 3/4 were masked. On board cabin crew were masked while serving, unmasked the rest of the time. PJIA would not allow arriving passengers into terminal until they put on a mask.

We wore our n95's through it all. I expect masked numbers will go down fairly quickly

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/21/2022 02:29 PM

Good to know. I respect the personal choice for being masked or not.
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/21/2022 03:37 PM

A survey posted on the evening news found that 54% of Americans favor keeping the mask mandate on public transportation, 24% oppose and 20% were neutral. With over 30 states showing an uptick due to the subvariant, count me among the 54%.
Posted By: Todd

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/21/2022 06:13 PM

Count me on thinking that survey is flawed. Everyone has the right to wear a mask and here I am in Vegas and less than 5% are, and from all I have heard at the airports, which we will deal with tomorrow, a very minimal amount of people are wearing mask.

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/21/2022 06:57 PM

I’m all in on the order of to each his own…… I’m personally both vaxed and boosted and feel like there’s serious question as to whether or not the masks are even effective in the first place, but for me, the bottom line is I will comply with the rules even if I hate them. I won’t necessary like them but I will comply……🙂🙂
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/21/2022 07:23 PM

When one is wearing a "Made in China" mask and the box clearly marked "NOT for Medical Use", that should be a telling sign. IMHO, it is like taking a placebo in a drug study and thinking it cured you, when in fact it did nothing.

Any study/survey can be manipulated, especially when it involves $$, politicians and polling the right group.

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/21/2022 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
When one is wearing a "Made in China" mask and the box clearly marked "NOT for Medical Use", that should be a telling sign. IMHO, it is like taking a placebo in a drug study and thinking it cured you, when in fact it did nothing.

Any study/survey can be manipulated, especially when it involves $$, politicians and polling the right group.

True.
Posted By: bizzottom

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/22/2022 07:47 AM

Totally agree boucharda
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Federal judge blocks mask mandate for public transportation - 04/22/2022 11:13 AM

Well so much for that "Probably no appeal" theory. CDC still wants masks so "an appeal is likely" . Again...I have no issue with masks and wore them for 40-ish years while working BUT this has run its course and we can't be going back and forth. I think it's time to just let people decide what is proper for them. I will wear one when travelling but it's not worth the grief to berate those who don't
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline