TravelTalkOnline

We have arrived!

Posted By: GaKaye

We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 12:01 PM

Ok, not yet on SXM, but since we're spending three nights on Anguilla on our way there, I think it's OK to post a little here. Our flights were completely uneventful; we were among the first off the plane and through immigration and customs in no time. Got the first taxi in line, and they give you the cost in writing right then, so there are no surprises. Our driver was quite friendly, and we had a nice conversation on the way to Turtle's Nest. Our studio has a tiny balcony with a partial view of the ocean, but that's fine for three days.

Went to Straw Hat for dinner last night, which was excellent and within walking distance of our resort. It's safe to walk on the beach at night here, which is great, since we didn't rent a car for our short stay.

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 12:14 PM

I tried to attach pictures to this post, but they aren't here, for some reason 😕

Oh wait, yes they are!

Attached picture 20221116_141707.jpg
Attached picture 20221116_160732.jpg
Attached picture 20221116_141221.jpg
Posted By: snuba

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 12:21 PM

Place looks very cute, nice diversion, enjoy your time there. See you when you guys get to SXM, will do dinner together.
Luda

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by snuba
Place looks very cute, nice diversion, enjoy your time there. See you when you guys get to SXM, will do dinner together.
Luda

Sounds great!
Posted By: jomarc

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 12:38 PM

Have a wonderful time in AXA and SXM!
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 12:54 PM

Enjoy and glad you had an uneventful trip. At some time in my life, I want to spend a few days on AXA as well.
Posted By: Jaybird

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 12:57 PM

Please tell us about your flights. On our late October SXM trip AA was over booked and offering money to take a flight to AXA. We did not take the offer but it was substantial. Might consider it if offered again. Will you fly to SXM or go by boat?
Posted By: lhbsurf

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 01:22 PM

Thanks for the post!! We are considering doing this soon and I appreciate getting to see some pictures and hear some experiences!!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 01:51 PM

Thanks for the post and the pictures. The place and the beach look lovely! Enjoy!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 04:03 PM

Enjoy your 3 days there. Looks like a nice setting.
Posted By: mahokid

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 04:37 PM

We absolutely enjoyed our short stay at the Turtle's Nest.
Meads Bay is my favorite over Shoal Bay.

Just a short walk down the beach is Blanchards Beach shack for lunch.
The supermarket just up the hill has good local take away lunches.
We have talked to Diane Keaton shopping there.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 05:16 PM

We usually stay at Turtle's Nest if we don't get a villa. Just an FYI, Rainbow Beach Club in Cupecoy is their sister property. When we stayed there two weeks ago, the condo's layout is the same.

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 05:27 PM

We flew RDU/MIA/AXA, and both flights were on time. We're taking the GB Express from here to SXM.

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 05:51 PM

Georgia and others--are cars really expensive there, or you do plan on walking everywhere?

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by GaKaye
We flew RDU/MIA/AXA, and both flights were on time. We're taking the GB Express from here to SXM.

That was a rather small plane if I am looking at the AA schedule. Embraer 175? How was the flight?

Enjoy!

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Georgia and others--are cars really expensive there, or you do plan on walking everywhere?

We're walking, so I don't know. I do know you have to get an Anguilla driver's license. Todd rented a car, so maybe he'll chime in.

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier

That was a rather small plane if I am looking at the AA schedule. Embraer 175? How was the flight?

Enjoy!

JD, it's a small plane, but was quite comfortable in first class. A few bumpy times, as you'd expect on a smaller plane in the tropics.

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 09:26 PM

Good deal.

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 09:42 PM

OK thanks.
Posted By: tnw2007

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 09:51 PM

Have a great time, we will be down in SXM in 11 days.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 10:00 PM

We're walking, so I don't know. I do know you have to get an Anguilla driver's license. Todd rented a car, so maybe he'll chime in.

Along with driving on the left side of road too.

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 10:06 PM

When we went with Junior and rented a car, which has been a long time ago, it was 50% more to double the cost on SXM, along with the AXA driver's license and gas about 50% more also. Not at all cheap.

Re: We have arrived! - 11/17/2022 11:42 PM

OK thanks. It's been a while since we've been there.
Posted By: WayneB

Re: We have arrived! - 11/18/2022 02:29 AM

I don't think that rental cars are that bad on Anguilla, even compared to SXM. We were on Anguilla 4 weeks in February/March, and the cost was reasonable:

Rental cost: $1,080 including insurance (at an overall rental rate of $270 weekly/$50 daily).

There was the additional coast of a license: $25 governmental fee for each temporary driver’s license.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: We have arrived! - 11/18/2022 01:34 PM

Enjoy your down time! See you soon!
Posted By: Ellen777

Re: We have arrived! - 11/19/2022 06:00 PM

Georgia, you picked a great spot to stay, within walking distance to several beach bars and restaurants. Carol, cars are 40-45 per day, and you have to buy a license, around 15.00 for 3 days, or 25.00 for 3 months. Driving on the left is confusing at first but we got used to it. Taxi's are very expensive.

Re: We have arrived! - 11/19/2022 06:38 PM

OK, thanks. The driving on the left might be the worst thing.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: We have arrived! - 11/19/2022 06:43 PM

Sounds wonderful--we always planned on doing that--
but it never happened.

Enjoy!!!
Posted By: Todd

Re: We have arrived! - 11/19/2022 09:01 PM

We rented what Andy's Car Rental refers to as a luxury car, which is a large Toyota Crown sedan. The rates seem to run for any car from $35 per day to I think we are at $50 per day, drivers license was about $20 give or go $5. Basically not enough money that I paid attention to it.

Food and drink are a bit more here, lodging in general and other cost are higher in my opinion than SXM but all good. Guessing gas is in the $6.50 range per gallon here.

As for this being a sister property of Rainbow, it sure doesn't seem to me to even have a similar layout let alone same. Are you sure Rainbow?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: We have arrived! - 11/20/2022 12:13 AM

Same developer.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline