TravelTalkOnline

Sailing in the Med

Posted By: PonyOnABoat

Sailing in the Med - 05/24/2021 07:55 PM

My husband and I have sailed for many years in BVI, but we are looking to do our first Mediterranean sail trip late this summer. This board has been a wealth of information for us on our BVI trips (thanks everyone!), so I wanted to see if anyone had tips or recommendations for the best location for a first bareboat Med sail.

I am a qualified RYA Day Skipper, and my husband is a qualified RYA Coastal Skipper. We both are US citizens currently living in Dubai and are fully Pfizer vaccinated, so travel options are opening up for us. We had planned to do this trip last year, but that didn't happen for obvious reasons.

We have a lot of research left to do, but our top choices at the moment are somewhere in Italy or Greece. If anyone has Med sailing experience, we would very much appreciate your insight and expertise!
Posted By: TomB

Re: Sailing in the Med - 05/26/2021 04:50 AM

We have chartered in the Greek Isles and the winds can be pretty erratic and strong. Definitely do your research. You also may want to throw Croatia and the Baleric Islands in the barrel for consideration.

Keep us in the loop on what you decide.
Posted By: jphart

Re: Sailing in the Med - 05/28/2021 12:51 AM

Loved Greece 2X (Leftus - Westcoast, and from Athens/Pireas Sardonic Gulf. Pulling up med moor to local small ports just steps to tavernas is fantastic! We also did Croatia two years ago, and that was equally fantastic! You’ll love either as a first Med sail.
Posted By: jphart

Re: Sailing in the Med - 06/10/2021 04:25 PM

Just booked a sail trip from Prosida Italy for this September. We’re not waiting till next year!
Looks like Italy is opening up, and we’ll be spending time in Italy pre and post sail.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline