TravelTalkOnline

Help with exploring in Antigua

Posted By: biglar

Help with exploring in Antigua - 09/13/2019 12:51 AM

My wife and I along with friends are traveling to Antigua in the near future. We have been there once before and had a great time. I'm sure we didn't get to see the entire island in our past trip, but we did take an island tour with a taxi driver whom everyone called GG. Fantastic day that we have never duplicated on any other island. But, I'm also sure that we must have missed something or somewhere on the island. Can you give me some ideas as to what you may have done or what you may want to do on the island. We are staying in the Dickenson Bay Area. Thanks.
Posted By: Carib_Ian

Re: Help with exploring in Antigua - 09/14/2019 06:10 PM

I have been to Antigua a few times and I think it’s a great place. Some my favourite spots are on the south side like Darkwood Beach where they’re a few great beach bars like Turner’s and OJs. I love English Harbour and Nelson’s Dockyards. Those are about a 45 - 1 hour drive minute drive from Dickenson Bay.
Posted By: yanque6

Re: Help with exploring in Antigua - 09/24/2019 11:15 PM

Antigua is a great place to rent a car and explore the island , many great places. Try to hit Devils bridge, a drive across
Fig Tree drive,Wallings Reservoir, Betty's Hope, English Harbor, and definitely the sunday BBQ with a steel band and spectacular sunset
at Shirley heights.

Re: Help with exploring in Antigua - 09/25/2019 05:41 PM

Thanks to both of you for the info. May give some of the ideas a try. Will follow up here with what we did.
Posted By: pat

Re: Help with exploring in Antigua - 10/02/2019 03:44 PM

Hi, Larry,

I know you've seen a lot of Antigua already but if you haven't seen Devil's Bridge, it really is worth the effort. It's a beautiful and most picturesque location and if you have a driver that takes the time to tell the story, it's also a very interesting spot.

Wishing you a wonderful trip......assuming it hasn't already happened.

Re: Help with exploring in Antigua - 10/05/2019 10:05 PM

Pat, We took a trip around the island a few days ago. Our driver seemed to know everyone on the island and he had a tale to tell about everyone and everyplace. Didn't care much for the Chinese "invading" his homeland just so the his Government would vote to allow China to kill whales. We went to Devil's Bridge and he told the story of the death of many slaves there at one time. When we went back to his van, a tire was flat. I had to help him change the tire and then wait at a service location while he had the tire fixed and put back on the van. Never a dull moment! He blamed it all on Devil's Bridge. Said he always has a problem when he goes there. We did get to meet a few more locals due to stopping at the service station. Everyone was just so accommodating.
Posted By: kneafseym

Re: Help with exploring in Antigua - 10/06/2019 04:01 AM

It has actually been the Japanese throwing a lot of money into Caribbean fishing operations in the islands to support their votes in whaling. I don't think the Chinese are doing it. On many islands it was the nicest facilities. Can't blame the Japanese, each county invests to suit their needs/agenda.
Posted By: pat

Re: Help with exploring in Antigua - 10/06/2019 05:08 PM

Larry,

Glad you guys got to see the natural bridge. As beautiful as all the island sites are, I thought this one was spectacular, maybe because it was alive with foam, surf and spray and the history just added to the view.

Hope your trip continues to go well.

Re: Help with exploring in Antigua - 10/14/2019 08:49 PM

I posted the first of eight days of stories on my blog telling of our vacation to Antigua this year. You can read about them at www.lifewithldub.blogspot.com.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline