TravelTalkOnline

Narrow Gauge Train in Colorado

Posted By: o2bnsxm

Narrow Gauge Train in Colorado - 06/03/2021 07:44 PM

We are interested in riding the narrow gauge railroad train in Northern New Mexico/Southern Colorado. It's called the Cumbres & Toltec Narrow Gauge railroad. It starts in Antonito Colorado and takes about 8 hours to make it through the Mountains to Chama NM. Has anyone done the trip? Any suggestions? Best time of year to go? It seems to stop around mid-October due to the snow making the mountain passes impassable.
Posted By: Riverfrontbrewer

Re: Narrow Gauge Train in Colorado - 06/14/2021 03:55 PM

o2 -

I've heard of that line but never done it, we've done the Durango to Silverton line when we lived in Durango. If it's anything similar, dress in layers as the mornings and evenings can get cool even in the summer.

Re: Narrow Gauge Train in Colorado - 06/14/2021 04:42 PM

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. I guess it isn't that popular for the members here on the forum since you are the only reply I received in the 10 days since I posted. I will try other searches elsewhere. Thanks again
Posted By: Kirk

Re: Narrow Gauge Train in Colorado - 06/18/2021 02:28 PM

I've seen a few Youtubes of that rail trip recently.

Re: Narrow Gauge Train in Colorado - 06/18/2021 03:12 PM

Yes, I saw a few also. Usually they show the best of the trip, and very little of the bad experiences, or what to avoid or look out for. I was hoping someone who actually rode on it could relate their experiences. Thanks for your reply Kirk, much appreciated. It has been running a long time, and haven't read anything negative about it. Prices are a little steep at around $200 per person, but it is a whole entire day experience that includes lunch and transportation to/from the train. Thanks again
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline