TravelTalkOnline

Trip Report - On the road again in AZ

Posted By: TomB

Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/10/2021 08:21 PM

Well… I have been a little slow getting this travel blog uploaded, and I still have two days to complete.

Much like our trip in 2019 my dermatologist cut a spot off me before we just before we departed on vacation. While in Arizona we learned that melanoma had returned. The first round was in my arm in 2019, this spot was on my chest. So, upon our return our time was taken up with medical appointments, farm stuff, surgery and recovery.

I am happy to report after 2 ½ hour surgery, leaving me with six-inch slice in my chest, and loosing 4 nodes under my arm, I am once again cancer free and all nodes are clean. The good news between the two scars I now can be a mean looking pirate at Halloween pirate. The bad news is that the Chippendales dancers dance are no longer interested in me joining their touring dance troupe.

Such is life. doh

We had a fabulous time in Arizona and it was great to travel once again.

Here is the link to Day 1: On the Road Again - Day 1
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/11/2021 12:20 PM

Tom--sorry to hear about the cancer, but glad to hear that you are clear at the moment.

Not sure why, the report is not fitting on my screen, from side to side...

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/11/2021 02:22 PM

Thanks Carol.

Not sure why report is displaying differently. Same format I have always used.
Report is 1280 pix wide and the pictures are 1150 pix wide.

What zoom factor are you using are your display?
Let me know and I will double check at my end.

T

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/11/2021 03:09 PM

Tom--Dunno why there is an issue. I was at 125%, took it down to 100%, and it still didn't fit....

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/11/2021 06:42 PM

Carol - try this one
It is the same template as this trip report and I have posted this report on TTOL a while back.

http://tbjbexpnorth.blogspot.com/

Same issue?

Sorry
Posted By: BEERMAN

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/11/2021 07:14 PM

Tom, from one John Prine fan to another, congrats on healing and getting back out there! Looking forward to reading the remaining reports!

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/11/2021 09:29 PM

Tom--yes.. Same issue.

Beerman--are you having a problem with this report or not? If not, perhaps it's my computer somehow..

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/11/2021 09:37 PM

I see his page aligned correctly

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/11/2021 11:45 PM

Beerman--huh. OK. Will check it from the office tomorrow.

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/12/2021 03:07 AM

Carol I tried to use a resolution that will work for everybody.
I have used a android tablet, my phone, and two different computers and the 100% of the blog is readable.

I want to makes sure all can enjoy... please let me know what you find.

T
Posted By: Fran

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/12/2021 11:58 AM

Carol, it show just fine on my computer as well.

Tom, Looking forward to the rest of your report. We were in AZ at the beginning of June. Landed at Phoenix but stayed a bit further north though, had a cabin just north of Williams. We also were fascinated by the wide open spaces. and the Grand Canyon was WOW!

Fran

Re: Trip Report - Day 2 - Jerome - 07/12/2021 12:58 PM

I am glad the blog is displaying properly
Carol, I hope you can figure out what is going on with your computer.

Today we go to a place that was known as the "Wickedest town in the West" - Jerome, Az

Day 2 Link: There be copper in those mountains!

[Linked Image]

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/12/2021 01:13 PM

Tom--I'm on a different computer this morning, but I can say that it is working perfectly this morning!! clapping

Read both days and enjoyed it thoroughly! I went to the Grand Canyon when I was a teenager. Wouldn't mind returning some day..

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/12/2021 03:04 PM

Tom,
I highly recommend the helicopter tour of the canyon. We used Papillon but there is also another company.

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/12/2021 03:25 PM

Grand Canyon is day 3, but I can say it did not include a helicopter tour.
I flew in helicopters for a living in the USCG, and I do not think a private tour or private shuttle service helicopter would ever be on my agenda.
I am sure it offered great views! I love for you to post a few photos if you got any.

Carol - I am glad you have the full screen again!
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/12/2021 03:31 PM

"I do not think a private tour or private shuttle service helicopter would ever be on my agenda."

Why Tom?

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/12/2021 04:09 PM

I would be interested in the answer to that question also. I suspect the answer is that he does not feel it would be safe??

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/12/2021 04:42 PM

The day we were at the Canyon there were extremely high winds so there was not going to be any sightseeing runs that day anyway, but to answer your question.

A helicopter is an extremely complicated tool. The old sane about a helo was "50,000 Spare Parts flying in close proximity" Unlike other a aircraft, a helicopter has to be forced to fly. If I remember correctly, it was not until the late 60s early 70s when they actually proved scientifically that a helicopter could fly. We knew it could - just did not know why. By design they require A Lot of upkeep in maintenance. The helicopters I flew in had maintenance requirements every 10 hours of flight. So when one uses this tool for commercial profit - the required maintenance is costly and takes time out of when they can be making money. There are regulations that govern commercial aviation and most operators are extremely good about meeting the requirements. But once again a helo in not an airplane when it comes to love and care.

While I was flying in the USCG part of every crewman's duties was pre-flighting the aircraft. So I had more confidence of the air worthiness of the aircraft that my butt was going to be sitting in. Especially considering that many times we were operating in less than desirable weather conditions. During my time in the CG, I was aware of multiple accidents involving sightseeing accidents in Hawaii and Alaska as well a helos and shuttling passengers out to oil rigs, and in fact worked on one of the cases.

My last flight in a helo was on a commercial one. One of my collateral duties of my job was to photograph a ship that I had worked on while it was on sea trials. I got some great shots and I love flying and was so excited to be in the air again until the door popped on at 2000 feet over the gulf. In my headset I hear the pilot say "that damn door keeps popping open" It is safe to say my heart did beat a couple times faster than normal as he turned the aircraft so I could close the door, which I accomplished with a few four letter words and a couple prayers.

So for me flying in commercial helos is like elective surgery - are the gains worth the risk? For me - No.

I will also confirm that I will never be a passenger in Bezos or Branson's new ride to space for profit aircraft. smile

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/12/2021 04:50 PM

Tom--thanks for the perspective. I think I have only taken three heli flights. All were totally memorable, from a sightseeing perspective. One was in St. Lucia--magnificent flight over/around the Titons. The second was to land on a glacier in Alaska. Totally amazing! The third was in Botswana, flying over the plains, over top of elephants, etc. A flight of a lifetime. Perhaps those three will have to do me.
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/12/2021 04:51 PM

I was afraid that would be your answer. I am not a fan either. Although, I once landed on a beach on Anegada. Certainly my most favorite way we arrived.

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/12/2021 06:00 PM

One cannot be the view from helicopter - that is for sure!
Ironically, I do not like heights at all! Although flying (plane or helo) does not bother me.
I LOVE TO FLY!

I am the crazy one that loves to fly to Europe. 8 Hours in the air - Yippe!
I once got to fly from Cherry Point, NC to Ramstein, Germany in a KC-130
24.1 hours without stopping - and I loved it.
A C-130 does not fly that fast and with a 50-70 mph head wind we were pretty slow.
Lucky it was KC-130. The "K" stands for a Tanker capable of Aerial Refueling.
We had plenty of gas smile

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/12/2021 07:00 PM

Tom last helo flight I took was with a buddy, retired Army, who worked on STT , forget helo tour company name, he took us to STJ Magnum PI style just off the water, climbed above Peter Bay and fell abruptly back to the water line, he was laughing saying “that doesn’t sound right, does it?!” Flap, Flap, Flap! I hated 130’s seats, preferred C5A!!

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/12/2021 08:09 PM

Flap, Flap, Flap! is much better than grinding metal follow by silence!

When I got transferred to Puerto Rico I had to complete an HH-3F syllabus before the move.
I had been flying in HU-16Es old sea planes for most of my time in Mobile.

First syllabus ride... Taxi out - Brought it up to 100% check - left ground to a hover - heard a grinding noise - returned to ground - back of helo had hydraulic fluid everywhere - rotor blades not going around anymore.

Walked back to Avionics Shop but syllabus book on my Chief's Desk and told him the detailer would have to find me a new duty station without a rotor aircraft. I did complete the syllabus and our two years in Puerto Rico were the best! I had a couple other scary things happen in a helo, but only once did the rotor stop turning and 5 feet off the ground is not that far to fall

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/12/2021 09:14 PM

Tom, your feelings are certainly understandable. I'm not the photog you are but here are a few from the chopper.
I love to fly as well and had the opportunity to fly in A WWII trainer (T6 Texan/SNJ) when I was a volunteer at the warbird museum in Kissimmee knowing full well the dangers of metal fatigue and stress. (they still owe me a flight in a B-25 I worked on). Sadly the pilot I went with died about a year later when a wing came off, but that's another story.

Attached picture DSCF9064.JPG
Attached picture DSCF9072.JPG
Attached picture DSCF9079.JPG

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/12/2021 09:50 PM

Great shots! Taking pictures from a moving plane is not easy.
You really did capture the grandeur of the canyon.

hope you do not mind... downloaded one and used haze removal function of photoshop...

Attached picture DSCF9064-edit.jpg

Re: Trip Report - Day 3 - Grand Canyon - 07/13/2021 01:44 PM

Today is Day 3 and the blog takes us to the Grand Canyon.
Absolutely Beautiful!

Blog Link: Day 3 - A Beautiful Hole!

[Linked Image]

Re: Trip Report - Day 3 - Grand Canyon - 07/13/2021 01:54 PM

Tom--I had to laugh out loud at the 'parking lot bitch'. laugh And just seeing the PICTURE of those folks walking on those rocks up there makes me nervous!! I definitely am afraid of heights also. The worst 30 minutes of my life were in a gondola going up to a ski area in Germany. Lovely once we got there, until it was time to come down again!! hangover

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/13/2021 02:22 PM

Loving this blog Tom. Makes me feel like we're back there all over again. When you were driving up rt64 you went past the cabin where we stayed.

I thought 89A was a super fun drive, would like to do it again someday. jester

Oh yeah, those folks on the rocks...in someone else's photos that could have been me getting over the edge shots... laugh

Attached picture DSCF9220.JPG
Attached picture DSCF9221.JPG

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/13/2021 02:44 PM

Fran--you are a wild man!! grin

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/13/2021 03:16 PM

I would love to do that 89A trip again, but not in 4 runner.
We used to own a Mercedes 320 SLK hardtop convertible and that would have been real fun!

Standing on the side of a mountain looking over is just plain UNGOOD. smile

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/13/2021 04:01 PM

Great reports, great pics!

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/13/2021 05:25 PM

I know what you mean Tom, we were in an Armada, a big boat for that road. 89A would have been a real blast in my old Miata. groovin

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/15/2021 01:30 AM

So.... You go for nice hike in 90+ heat and the walk is beautiful.
But halfway through you are surrounded by pink jeeps!
Have you drank enough water?

Take a walk with us! Link Day 4: Time to take a Hike!

[Linked Image]

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/15/2021 01:14 PM

Tom--I missed an installment yesterday. You were slacking off! grin

I'm afraid if I would see those sites, I would have to be in the pink jeep! smile I have learned something from your trip though--did not know that there were wineries in Arizona. I don't understand how there is enough water?

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/15/2021 05:25 PM

Water is important to vineyards, but the best vineyards in the world the vines have to struggle to create the great wines. Many vineyards in the old world can be found in rocky, barren looking or remote regions. For example Ribera del Duero located on the northern part of the Meseta in Spain. The joke is they have 9 months of winter and 3 months of hell. This is not to say irrigation is not required, but you may find it is not as important as one thinks.

The primary Arizona wine region is near Willcox close to New Mexico. (East of Tucson). The wineries where we were primarily get there grapes from Willcox and truck them (Refrigerated Trucks) to Sedona area. There are wineries in Cornville/Cottonwood area that grow their own grapes, but the lion share appeared to come from SE Arizona.

Not sure I will get a chance to upload Day 5 today, but I will try.

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/15/2021 05:32 PM

Thanks. I learned something today!

Re: Trip Report - Day 5 - Venture into the Past - 07/19/2021 01:31 PM

Today we turn back the hands of time! Years before Columbus sailed the ocean blue, the Verde Valley of Arizona was a happening place!
Enjoy!

Link: Day 5 - A Venture into the Past

[Linked Image]

Re: Trip Report - Day 5 - Venture into the Past - 07/19/2021 02:03 PM

Thanks for a very interesting section of the report!

Re: Trip Report - Day 5 - Venture into the Past - 07/19/2021 07:57 PM

Enjoying the reports and pics!!

Re: Trip Report - Day 5 - Venture into the Past - 07/19/2021 09:26 PM

Loving it Tom, makes me wish we were back in the area again! Excellent commentary and photos.

Re: Trip Report - Day 5 - Venture into the Past - 07/27/2021 11:32 PM

Hey Tom, we have been incredibly patient, but want some more report!!! impatient

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/28/2021 01:40 PM

In the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC on a family getaway.
A little rain yesterday allowed me time to get another day done.
Grandchildren can keep you pretty busy.

Day 6 Link: All Aboard!

BTW - working on my fear of heights smile

Attached picture BR-01C.jpg

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/28/2021 02:18 PM

Gee, Tom, how dare you interrupt our trip with another one of your own!! grin Sounds like another trip report you owe us! grin

Having never been on a train in all my _____ years (WON'T fill in that number!! grin, I definitely wouldn't mind taking that train trip myself!

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/28/2021 06:30 PM

working on my fear of heights again today.

Attached picture IMG_0683.jpg

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/28/2021 06:33 PM

As usual, loving the photos and the story. Where in the Blue Ridge were you? The NC mountains are the one thing we will miss moving back to FL but I'm sure there will be trips back in the future. Also, congrats on working on that fear of heights. Little by little. clapping

OK, the Grandfather mountain came up after I wrote my post. duh

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/28/2021 06:36 PM

Tom--Oh H*LL no!!! Not me, buddy!!!

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/28/2021 06:50 PM

But Carol the reward is great!

Grandfather Mountain Winery 🍷 sitting next to the Watauga Rive watching my grandson having a blast!

I walked quick - drinking slow smile

Attached picture 649188969.jpg
Attached picture 20210728_144634.jpg

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/28/2021 07:04 PM

No, sorry, Tom. No can do. Some day I should tell you the story about my trip to the top of a ski mountain Germany by cable car. NOT a pretty tale!!

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/28/2021 07:08 PM

Ah,,com'on Carol...pray tell. Tom's working on his issue (apparently quite well I might add).

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/28/2021 07:13 PM

Fran--not so much to tell, other than being literally FROZEN in terror in the cable car, holding on to the pole, hiding my face against Eric as the death machine climbed up to the mountain summit. When I finally reached the top, thank god, I thought about walking back down, since I can't ski... Eventually took the death machine back down and vowed I would never see the inside of a cable car again.. That's 'only' been about thirty years ago and so far, I have kept that promise..

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/28/2021 07:24 PM

Haha, not laughing at you, honest. I can fully understand fear like that and feel your pain. That's how I feel when I get into water over my head without flotation aids. Love being on the water and I love snorkeling but I will never be a free swimmer and you'll never climb mountains. We're all different. Maybe get to see you and Eric again sometime when we're back down there. Someday a TTOL party like we used to see.

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/28/2021 07:26 PM

Yeah, Fran, when the world calms down again, that sounds good. I really thought we were going in a very good direction, until real recently.

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/28/2021 07:32 PM

Carol

If you made it to the top and bottom with dry pants and a beating heart all is well.

I must admit I did step on some small kids screwing around to their mother's dismay and waited until less than 20 on the bridge.

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/28/2021 07:38 PM

Hey Tom, at least you are working on it, good on ya'. I tried working on my fear but gave up a long time ago.

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/28/2021 07:40 PM

Tom--I was too scared to pee! laugh Good for you, working on it, but I will pass..

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/28/2021 09:41 PM

Not sure I am working on it - I am more trying to ignore it so my grandson will not have the same fear.
He was the one behind me.
Janet snapped the pic and then grabbed his hand to cross. Me... it was eyes straight do not stop and pass anyone who is stopped looking over the side.

Check - the mile high bridge has been done and I am pretty sure it will not ever happen again.

Enough on blue ridge and fears....

It was a really cool train ride. smile through the Verde Valley

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 07/31/2021 11:51 AM

Hey Tom, we were there a couple years ago, love that area. Need more info on "stepping" on those kids....my guess is that they were trying to make it bounce?! :-)

Attached picture Grandfather Mtn.JPG

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 08/02/2021 12:46 AM

Beerman - You would be correct! A mother was trying to heard 3 boys (my guess 8-10) at the 1 mile high mark on the bridge for a picture.

They wanted to jump and not stand still. I waited for about 3 seconds for mom to get control of the situation. She was unsuccessful - so I put on my Jim Brown mantra and just ran them over.

Never mess with someone who is motivated by fear. When mom says stop - you stop - if not - big Tom will step on you. smile

And I crossed the bridge.

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 08/04/2021 02:08 PM

Well it is time to go hiking once again!

[Linked Image]

Today is our last full day in Arizona - And a memorable one at that!

Link: A wind down day!

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 08/04/2021 03:29 PM

Tom--Now, it sure looks like "Tom's Trail" would be more my style! Looks lovely! Sorry about the camera. Hope it's OK!!!!

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 08/05/2021 01:27 PM

Well done Tom! It's been a fun read.

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 08/05/2021 02:33 PM

One more to get us home.
Some more adventures from Cornville to Phoenix
Thanks for following along

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 08/05/2021 02:46 PM

Tom--looking forward to the rest of the story--And perhaps another report from the more recent adventures??? thinks grin

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 08/11/2021 04:42 PM

Hey Tom, where's the rest of the story????? impatient

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 08/12/2021 02:22 PM

On my computer with no pictures yet...
Promise today or tomorrow...
I have when life gets in the way.
Hottest day of the year and 2 to 3 hours of grass cutting.
So glad I got half of it done yesterday

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 08/12/2021 02:26 PM

OK, looking forward to it!!

Re: Trip Report - Happy Trails... The End - 08/13/2021 02:12 PM

Ok... those who are still following along let's Belly Up to Bar and bring this rodeo to an end.
Thank you for being patient as I struggle to find the time to end this.
Who said when you retire you have lots of free time.

The final link: Happy Trails to you...

[Linked Image]

Re: Trip Report - Happy Trails... The End - 08/13/2021 02:30 PM

Wow, that is some bar!! toast Thanks for taking us along, great pictures as always!!!

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 08/13/2021 03:09 PM

Carol,

Thanks for hanging tuff!

I did a wrap up page in case you want to post to the historical Trip Report threads. All you will need is this post to consolidate all the days.

Link: At Last - Trip Report Arizona

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 08/13/2021 03:26 PM

Tom--I am embarrassed to report that I haven't been keeping the trip report archives updated. Maybe I should just start from here and not try to go back, as it's been way too long, I haven't done them.

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 08/13/2021 04:46 PM

Tom,
It's been a fun journey following your trip report, thanks for that. I wish I had your abilities in both photography and writing. Looking forward to your next trip.

PS, Carol, I agree, that bar is fantastic.

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 08/13/2021 04:54 PM

Tom, Excellent! The baby pic is priceless!!

Re: Trip Report - On the road again in AZ - 08/13/2021 05:25 PM

I probably should note that Janet went for the Whiskey... Once again I stuck with a cold beer... frown
I hate being the designated driver. Janet was not driving in the mountains.
I did taste her cocktail and it was extremely well done.

The baby episode was so surreal and happen so fast. I cannot believe I got the shot.
On the good news side of things - the children were excellent on the flight.

Once again thanks to all for following on - always enjoy comments and questions.

© 2024 TravelTalkOnline