TravelTalkOnline

Key West to the Dry Tortugas - Sailing Route

Posted By: Matt W

Key West to the Dry Tortugas - Sailing Route - 08/17/2021 03:11 PM

Recently returned from a quick bareboat trip from Key West to the Dry Tortugas. We had some boat trouble, but overall it was a great trip. I'll throw together a more detailed trip report sometime.

Wanted to ask - we spent nearly the whole time dodging lobster trap buoys - was pretty frustrating at times. Is there a preferred route to the Dry Tortugas that avoids most of these? Here's the route we took, and a bonus shot of Ft Jefferson.

Attached picture Screenshot_20210817-100554_Boating (1).jpg
Attached picture Photo_1080295513_DJI_89_jpg_6694546_0_20218720178_photo_original.jpg

Re: Key West to the Dry Tortugas - Sailing Route - 08/19/2021 06:32 PM

Put out some more info about the trip here if anyone's interested.

https://yachtwarriors.com/bareboat-charter-key-west/

Re: Key West to the Dry Tortugas - Sailing Route - 09/01/2021 07:30 PM

For those curious, I actually put this lobster trap buoy question to the operators of the Yankee Freedom, the high-speed catamaran that takes tourists daily to the Dry Tortugas. They said there is no better route than the one we took.
Posted By: dayhiker

Re: Key West to the Dry Tortugas - Sailing Route - 09/23/2021 08:06 PM

Thanks for all of the info. I've been thinking about doing this trip in the future.
Posted By: TRIM

Re: Key West to the Dry Tortugas - Sailing Route - 09/29/2021 02:50 AM

We didn’t get to make the run out to the Dry Tortugas due to a weather system coming in, so we only sailed as far as Marquesas. Then we sailed around Key West area. The lobster traps in the entire Key West area are just too much, dodging the traps all day. The area is great, but the lobster traps are enough to make it a one and done for me. I was told they were just as bad all the way to Dry Tortugas and you are confirming that for me. Great trip report. Will read your fishing tips later. Wanting to do more fishing on future charters.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline