TravelTalkOnline

Another Newbie Itinerary!! Please Help!!! Anegada or not??

Posted By: drcabral

Another Newbie Itinerary!! Please Help!!! Anegada or not?? - 07/01/2018 12:10 AM

Well, we will be heading to the BVI this Weds for our adventure!! The boat, provisions are all set. Now where the heck do we go?! This is my loose itinerary, we have a preference for secluded beaches more than bar and night life. Hence the desire to visit Anegada, just don’t know if our sail times will wear on the crew. Trying my best not to go into overdrive and relax to enjoy the vacation. argue Considering motor sailing if things take too long.

Day

1-Cooper Island

2-Baths/North Sound

3-Anegada

4-Marina Cay

5-Cane Garden Bay

6-White Bay-JVD

7-Norman Island/Caves

8-Return

I used BVImariner and Sail-Orion the male sail plans. If there other apps or websites that others use let me know. All thoughts and perspectives are appreciated.

Signed,

BVI Newbie
Posted By: alex_sauvage

Re: Another Newbie Itinerary!! Please Help!!! Anegada or not?? - 07/01/2018 12:18 AM

It is a good plan even if a bit ambitious..I would recommend Scrub island instead of Marina Cay and White bay, Guana island instead of Cane Garden. Make sure White bay JVD is not red-lined by charter company: you might have to pick up a ball in Great Harbour and get to White bay by cab or walking
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: Another Newbie Itinerary!! Please Help!!! Anegada or not?? - 07/01/2018 01:27 AM

I agree with the changes proposed by alex_sauvage.

However.... I'm not sure you will enjoy the trip more by going more places. It's ok to see less and enjoy more. Take the pulse of your crew and make adjustments as needed.
Posted By: steve74

Re: Another Newbie Itinerary!! Please Help!!! Anegada or not?? - 07/01/2018 11:39 AM

We just returned on Friday and I think Alex's changes are good ones. However, I would watch the wind. For us, we enjoy a calm anchorage and more of a SE wind can affect several of your overnight spots. I also 100% agree with agrimsrud regarding enjoying versus checking off islands. On our latest trip, we were down for 13 nights, and I still pushed things too much in the early part of the trip. In the second week, we dropped the agenda and rushing around and had a much better time. With a week, I recognize that it is hard. I would just check in with the group regularly and be willing to slow down if necessary.
Posted By: xrayman67

Re: Another Newbie Itinerary!! Please Help!!! Anegada or not?? - 07/01/2018 12:07 PM

Two nights at Anegada and drop one of the others.
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Another Newbie Itinerary!! Please Help!!! Anegada or not?? - 07/01/2018 01:51 PM

I concur with xrayman67. Anegada has a lot to offer right now. Especially if you are looking for seclusion.
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Another Newbie Itinerary!! Please Help!!! Anegada or not?? - 07/01/2018 04:58 PM

I agree with planning to drop 1 or 2 stops... Don't hesitate to spend 2 days in North Sound or 2 days in Anegada...
I would suggest early departure from North sSound (7-8am is not too early) which would essentially give you a full day at Anegada beaches... Call Dean W and reserve a vehicle... Eat at LobLoly of Cow Wreck. Make dinner reservations as you arrive at Anegada.

Come back NEXT year and visit some of the places you wish you had gone(but not enough time) and revisit selected places that you enjoyed this trip.
Posted By: Will_L

Re: Another Newbie Itinerary!! Please Help!!! Anegada or not?? - 07/01/2018 06:02 PM

Now I haven’t been down since the storm, we preferred marina cay on ball or anchor for a nights stop over Scrub. Since getting a smaller personal dayboat we stop at each somewhat often on way back from Jost. It’s different vibes for sure but I always liked a stop at Marina cay on the boat we had in charter. Had several kids get enthusiastic about snorkeling at the submerged old concrete dock in front restaurant where there was always a school of blue tang. Could enjoy the calm water on the small beach, read that book in the shade and enjoy a painkiller or three.

Personally given your penchant for beaches and quieter places I would substitute a night at diamond cay on jost. Good snorkeling, usually turtles around ..often tarpon boat side at night. Again I’ve not been there since the disaster and understand taboo has not rebuilt, though a favorite of ours, it will still be fun to go ashore and enjoy the beach. Need a drink there is a bar open out on point on litt”e just.

I would take a ball or anchor in great harbor and not spend the night in white bay. A squall can turn it into a very bad night in white bay.

You will have plenty of places to try on your return.
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Another Newbie Itinerary!! Please Help!!! Anegada or not?? - 07/01/2018 06:08 PM

I agree with the above that your itinerary doesn’t make sense.
Think about this
-Cooper
-marina cay
-Leverick then taxi to the Baths
-Anegada two days
-JVD
-Great Harbour Peter Island (Willie T)
Posted By: Steve27

Re: Another Newbie Itinerary!! Please Help!!! Anegada or not?? - 07/01/2018 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by NCSailor
I agree with the above that your itinerary doesn’t make sense.
Think about this
-Cooper
-marina cay
-Leverick then taxi to the Baths
-Anegada two days
-JVD
-Great Harbour Peter Island (Willie T)

Not sure what doesn't make sense? It goes around in a circle in order. Pretty straight forward and simple. May need to tweak it some but its places he wants to see.
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Another Newbie Itinerary!! Please Help!!! Anegada or not?? - 07/01/2018 11:51 PM

Only thing that stands out as not making a lot of sense is White bay.. Doesn't fit the prefer secluded beaches to bar/night life. Maybe white bay is quieter since the hurricanes but anytime we've gone it's been a zoo.
Posted By: Travel09

Re: Another Newbie Itinerary!! Please Help!!! Anegada or not?? - 07/02/2018 02:55 PM

To me Anegada is a highlight. Because of the boat/travel time I would recommend 2 days there. The beaches on the north side are amazing and the snorkeling was good as well. More seaweed at Loblolly/Big Bamboo but it was a little better snorkeling than ABC area. ABC and Cow Wreck beaches are phenomenal.
I would recommend:
Cooper
Baths/North Sound
2x Anegada
Great Harbour JVD(dinghy to White Bay)- possible 2 days here
Norman
Peter/Willy T

Depending on the conditions it can take some time to get from JVD back to Normal/Peter. We had Indians/Peter at the front of our trip and the followed the above minus Norman. We didn’t really see the point of going that far south.
Posted By: vytis104

Re: Another Newbie Itinerary!! Please Help!!! Anegada or not?? - 07/02/2018 05:05 PM

I definitely echo the sentiment of dont over plan. Its like people who go to Europe and do Madrid, Paris and London in the same trip. It isnt a list of must do's, its a list of where can I go when the wind is out of (X) direction from where I am today.

Every island is beautiful. Every beach bar has cold beer/painkillers/bushwhackers. Every beach is pristine. Every snorkel spot is awesome.

We like to wake up on departure day, check out of the marina and see where the wind takes us comfortably so as not to spill onboard cocktails.

Its all about chilling. But, alas; I had to do it the wrong way before I figured it out on subsequent trips. Beating up the SFD Channel to get to the Baths in the order of my itinerary planned from my computer in Chicago.

Have fun!
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Another Newbie Itinerary!! Please Help!!! Anegada or not?? - 07/02/2018 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by drcabral
[size:14pt]Well, we will be heading to the BVI this Weds for our adventure!! The boat, provisions are all set. Now where the heck do we go?! This is my loose itinerary, we have a preference for secluded beaches more than bar and night life. Hence the desire to visit Anegada, just don’t know if our sail times will wear on the crew. Trying my best not to go into overdrive and relax to enjoy the vacation. argue Considering motor sailing if things take too long.

Day
1-Cooper Island
2-Baths/North Sound
3-Anegada
4-Marina Cay
5-Cane Garden Bay
6-White Bay-JVD
7-Norman Island/Caves
8-Return

Nothing wrong with these destinations. Personally, I would skip Marina Cay. With Wednesday arrival, I'm assuming your Day 1 is Thursday - correct? Are you also starting from Roadtown, and on what type/size boat?

Day 1 - Perhaps the crowds are diminished this week, but Cooper Island looked pretty crowded each time I sailed past it a week ago. I hate having to arrive by early-afternoon to secure a mooring ball. Cooper Island is usually an upwind motor from Roadtown or at best a close-hauled sail. I prefer to ease the crew into the first sail. How about a pleasant broad reach to Norman Island on Day 1? If you depart by Noon, you'll have plenty of time to snorkel the Indians and Caves, if desired.

Day 2 - From The Bight it's still only ~13nm to The Baths. Depart latest by 7 am to arrive by 9 am, and you'll still beat the crowds (except for the boats that spent the night on an NPS mooring).

Day 3 - Take a close look at the wind forecast. I like to use WindFinder. It shows East 17~18 kts (gusting to 20 kts) on Saturday - plan for a 1st reef if heading to Anegada.

Day 4 - Sunday looks to be the strongest winds with E23 in the morning (gusting to 27kts). Skip Marina Cay. If you spend a 2nd day at Anegada, might want to stick to the west shore beaches to avoid blowing sand. Alternatively, you could sail (double-reefed) back to North Sound in the early morning and book a day (in advance) at Oil Nut Bay resort. If your charter company allows it, you can dock for the day at their marina. Alternatively, get the launch service from Gun Creek (I know they also do pickups at Leverick Bay, but this might be special order).

Day 5 - Cane Garden Bay

Day 6 - Jost Van Dyke. If your first time here, then I recommend grabbing a mooring at Great Harbour, then dinghy or taxi to White Bay instead of bringing your boat there. Too many accidents waiting to happen. Two weeks ago I watched a power cat come in towards the Ivan's side of the beach (in the midst of a squall) at full speed up over the reef at least 200 feet outside the buoyed passage. Dumb luck he didn't rip off the keels.

Day 7 - Cooper Island (~2.5 hr motorsail from JVD), or if you prefer some isolation, anchor instead at Deadman's Bay, Peter Island (2hr from JVD, and about 15 minutes closer to Roadtown on the Day 8 return)

Day 8 - return

Re: Another Newbie Itinerary!! Please Help!!! Anegada or not?? - 07/03/2018 01:20 PM

Thanks for everyones advice it is very very helpful. My only question is where to pick up a ball in North Sound. I was leaning toward Saba Rock as I have three kids who would get a kick out of the fish feeding frenzie at 5p. Still open to other mooring locations such Leverick Bay, Prickly Pear , BEYC, Long Bay etc.. It's just difficult for me to understand which offer more traunquility/seclusion and which offer more activity (such as water sports).
Posted By: Prospector

Re: Another Newbie Itinerary!! Please Help!!! Anegada or not?? - 07/03/2018 02:22 PM

The North Sound was very hurt by the storms and Saba Rock and the Bitter End are no longer open. There was work being done at both spots but it will be a while before you will be enjoying the Tarpon feeding at Saba. We were there in May and enjoyed Leverick Bay the most. We are partial as we love the Upstairs Restaurant there and the Friday night BBQ's/Jumbies Party too. We usually get a slip and enjoy the ability to break away on our own after a few days of close quarters. Leverick is also a great place to get a taxi or rental car from to seethe Baths and the rest of the island.
As to other parts of your itinerary I will also recommend White Bay on Guana as a great deserted beach type spot where you can also get the benefit of being really close to Monkey Point for some great snorkeling. I too am a huge planner and have a full blown itinerary done for each trip we have taken there. But in the 7 trips to the BVI's we have not followed it to a T...ever. We use it as a travel guide and a wish list and once there we go with the flow, follow the wind and enjoy ourselves even if we do not get to every spot on the list. There has been a lot of damage all over but if you use the internet to your advantage and go to the places that have had a well established recovery you will be just fine. Can't wait to hear how you make out!
Posted By: rfrimmel

Re: Another Newbie Itinerary!! Please Help!!! Anegada or not?? - 07/03/2018 03:26 PM

We were at Leverick Bay Marine last week. Great time. Took taxi to Hog Heaven for lunch....great views, great food. Nice to get off the boat for a bit and enjoy the area.

Re: Another Newbie Itinerary!! Please Help!!! Anegada or not?? - 07/08/2018 12:50 AM

Well, we made it to Anegada (2 hours flat from North Sound). Hurricane Beryl was down graded to tropical storm and we pray the wind and seas stay calm. We are debating our next move as Sunday calls for showers and Monday winds are East winds 20 to 25 knots. Seas 8 to 10 feet with occasional seas up to 11 feet.

Is the there rolling at Mooring/Anchorage at Guana Island in these conditions?

Thinking we may just go to Scrub Island dock and use the amenities of the resort while we ride out the rain and winds.

Other option is Marina Key.

What are your thoughts?
Posted By: louismcc

Re: Another Newbie Itinerary!! Please Help!!! Anegada or not?? - 07/08/2018 01:21 AM

We're planning on Anegada on Tuesday (currently at Cooper) and hope all has calmed down by then. Heading up to Leverick for 2 days tomorrow where I hope to have a slip for anything that may be heading this way. I'll probably motor sail so that we can take a direct course and avoid long tacks through bumpy seas.

Scrub Island sounds like the calmer alternative.

Re: Another Newbie Itinerary!! Please Help!!! Anegada or not?? - 07/08/2018 09:30 AM

We motor sailed as well, was able to average 8.6 knots, which really made for a quick passage and was less taxing on the crew. Great thing is with the East winds you won’t need to tack as you will be broad or close reach way through.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline