TravelTalkOnline

Rod Holders

Posted By: Schwendy

Rod Holders - 07/02/2018 04:16 PM

Anybody know if there are rod holders on any of Mooring's 433 power cats? I don't remember seeing them last time but it may be a newer boat this trip. Thinking maybe they might put them in? If not, what do you fishermen do? I have a clamp on tube but it's stainless steel and heavy. My luggage is at max weight.
Posted By: cwoody

Re: Rod Holders - 07/02/2018 06:45 PM

You can rent them.

laststopsports
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Rod Holders - 07/02/2018 06:46 PM

I sailed with a delivery captain that simply brought along a reel and attached it to a railing using 2 hose clamps...and I saw him catch fish with it. Just set the drag a bit looser.
Posted By: Catmandu

Re: Rod Holders - 07/13/2018 12:44 PM

Just got back on a Moorings 433 PC, 2 rod holders on fly bridge.
Posted By: Schwendy

Re: Rod Holders - 07/13/2018 01:28 PM

Great! Thanks! Hope mine has them too. Bag is at max weight and mine is stainless steel so it will put me over. Hope you had a great trip! Did you catch anything?
Posted By: Catmandu

Re: Rod Holders - 07/13/2018 05:32 PM

To be honest I was ill prepared for fishing. We rented poles and tackle with the tackle not being very good. We trolled from Anegada and had one hit. It was interesting to see all the tarpon cruising under the boat with the blue lights on. Must of been at least 25 up to 4ft long. Tried everything to catch one, shrimp, hot dog, bacon, chicken. No interest from the fish. Finally googled and found this:

https://h2otrips.com/resources/tarpon-fishing-in-the-virgin-islands/

They will be a blast to catch although not good eating as I understand. Just an FYI our boat was the exclusive, less than 1 year old, not sure older models have the holders.

Next time I go I will be prepared. I will be on a mission to catch a tarpon. Trip was awesome. Good luck.
Posted By: Crown31

Re: Rod Holders - 09/10/2018 01:44 AM

I thought they stopped allowing fishing on bare boat cruisers? Did that change?
Posted By: warren460

Re: Rod Holders - 09/10/2018 02:16 AM

In order to fish, both the boat and the individual need to be licensed. In the case of TMM, it is my understanding that all of the boats are licensed.
Posted By: hallucination

Re: Rod Holders - 09/10/2018 12:06 PM

If you notice no rod holders, ask the guys for a 2 foot plastic tube or semi-ridged (UN-used septic hose) and some hose clamps

As for bait, I have a fish story about catching a Tarpon with duct tape and cellophane cigarette wrappers. fashioned it to look like the little fish they were eating.

The hit HARD!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline