TravelTalkOnline

bigger boat

Posted By: mg3355

bigger boat - 07/21/2018 04:01 PM

I'm planning our 4th charter for next year. Our group has grown. We need to either get 2 boats or a bigger boat like a lagoon 52. I'm a little nervous about going to a boat that size. Our biggest so far has been a 46. I'm wondering how much difference there really is. I'm not really worried about the sailing, but more about docking. Does anyone have any experience moving up to a cat that size? Did you find it to be no big deal or quite a difference? Thank you!
Posted By: warren460

Re: bigger boat - 07/21/2018 05:15 PM

Contact TMM. They have some larger cats and discuss it with them.
Posted By: Catmandu

Re: bigger boat - 07/21/2018 06:23 PM

I watched a 50+ cat dock at Leverick. The dock hands actually used a dinghy as a tug boat to help dock the boat as winds were whipping. Most dock hands will actually tell you what to do ie “reverse port”.
Posted By: b6fischer

Re: bigger boat - 07/21/2018 06:47 PM

Boats vary but two differences as you move up in class are often visibility docking and response to throttle controls. If you were very confident on the 47' then moving to the 52' should be no issue. If you were nervous on the 47' then it is cause for concern.
Posted By: mg3355

Re: bigger boat - 07/21/2018 07:07 PM

The dock hands at leverick are amazing. I didn't have a problem on the 46.
Posted By: Steve27

Re: bigger boat - 07/22/2018 12:36 PM

Have chartered the 514PC and docking was a breeze. I don't think you will have any issues going from a 46 to a 52. AS you know wind will mess with you when docking but if your going from a 46 Cat to a 52 Cat the profiles are pretty close and will behave the same. Have fun!
Posted By: Catmandu

Re: bigger boat - 07/22/2018 04:11 PM

I am admittedly a rookie at docking so I am very apprehensive about it. I have yet to back into a slip. My last trip to Leverick marina it was quite windy and choppy and I wasn’t even sure my reservation was confirmed so I decided to grab a mooring ball and dinghy to dock. This way I could see where they were putting me and access the conditions and decide to go for it or stay on the ball keeping in mind vacations should not be stressful. It turns out they put me at the end of the T so it was a breeze. Slow is your friend. I also would have an extra fender held in hand by one of my mates in case of a miscue. The dock hands are also more than helpful. It’s difficult to master docking when I only charter once year and have no boat at home. I’m planning on chartering the 514 next year as well. Good luck!
Posted By: maytrix

Re: bigger boat - 07/22/2018 05:14 PM

I think as already stated your confidence in your ability is key. Were you confident in past trips?

Largest I had chartered was a 46 and then we took out the Moorings 5800. Big difference in size, but I had no issues with it. But I was very confident in my ability. Any time I haven't been confident maneuvering somewhere, I went with plan B.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline