TravelTalkOnline

STT to Ferry Connections

Posted By: SeeDiver

STT to Ferry Connections - 08/15/2018 04:30 PM

We're looking at several routings from ORD-STT, and need to connect to a Tortola-bound ferry.

The best price (using AA) arrives STT via CLT at 3:15.

My best interpretation of the ferry schedules (www.roadtownfastferry.com) shows the last departure CA to RT at 4:15

Is there a later ferry, or is there good confidence of making the connection?

There is a routing through MIA which arrives earlier, but it's a few $100's more.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: STT to Ferry Connections - 08/15/2018 04:39 PM

If your flight is on time, you should have no issue making the 4:15 ferry.

When are you traveling? Currently, there is a 4:30 ferry but only on Sundays. If you're trip is more than a month away, the schedules are likely to change but you're safe assuming there will be a ferry around 4:15.
Posted By: SeeDiver

Re: STT to Ferry Connections - 08/15/2018 04:52 PM

Our arrival will be on a Friday.
Posted By: tpcook

Re: STT to Ferry Connections - 08/15/2018 10:39 PM

I think you will be ok. If your flight is late, I would ask for a private taxi. Will get you to the dock a little faster
Posted By: Head Hippocampus

Re: STT to Ferry Connections - 08/28/2018 01:38 PM

While this is an old thread, I thought this would be some valuable information.

Since the hurricanes in 2017 some of the ferry schedule has been discontinued and not resumed yet. The Virgin Islands have also had a dip in tourism, which also means that the ferry schedule needed to be reduced.

I run SeaHorse Land & Water Taxi out of St. Thomas, www.seahorsevi.com. We provide private transportation services for people that need to get to their destination within USVI or BVI. We have drivers on St. Thomas, St. John, and Tortola. Our boats can cross international boarders.

The biggest problem also is time the customs office closes. According to the website the hours are open later, some until 9:00 PM http://www.bvitourism.com/arriving-by-sea, but I am not certain the website is up to date. I am double checking to see if this accurate, I think they may be closing at 5:00 in West End and Road Town. They reduced their hours because of Hurricane Irma and Maria damage and reduced tourism demand.

I met with the owner of Road Town Fast Ferry a few weeks ago and it is not running the full schedule they used to either. This will likely rebound, hopefully during this tourism season.
Posted By: Head Hippocampus

Re: STT to Ferry Connections - 08/28/2018 01:43 PM

Just a quick update.

Custom's House Hours
West End is running 8 AM - 5 PM
Road Town 7 AM - 6 PM
Jost Van Dyke 8:30 AM....but it is usually a slow morning so more like 9:00 or 9:30 AM
Posted By: tpcook

Re: STT to Ferry Connections - 08/28/2018 08:04 PM

RTFF also does not government approval for the 3 new ferries they have so no STT for these ferries righ now.
Posted By: wandawoman80

Re: STT to Ferry Connections - 09/02/2018 01:25 PM

We were there (BVI) Aug 22 - Aug 27th. On the 24th the Ferry schedule was not good from STT to Road Town. They were having problems with the Ferries breakdown, therefore delaying departure time.

We were scheduled for a 4:00 Ferry (Aug 22), they finally got us on something that looked like a ferry/boat about 5pm.

On departure back to STT (Aug 27), we were originally scheduled for a 10am Ferry.

All the locals advise us to catch the 7am Ferry, due to the issues they were having with the Ferry schedules and if something was to happen, we would have buffer time for the operators to get another Ferry. Fortunately the 7am Ferry left on time,with no delays. That was a real true Ferry.

This is all due to post Irma and Maria.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: STT to Ferry Connections - 09/02/2018 02:11 PM

The ferry companies were screwed up well before Irma and Maria.
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: STT to Ferry Connections - 09/04/2018 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by tradewinds

100% agree
Posted By: denverd0n

Re: STT to Ferry Connections - 09/05/2018 03:38 PM

Sadly, all too true. They do seem to find Irma and Maria to be very convenient excuses, though.
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: STT to Ferry Connections - 09/05/2018 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by denverd0n

Sadly, all too true. They do seem to find Irma and Maria to be very convenient excuses, though.

I do feel that those of us who live in the Virgin Islands rarely consider the personal,financial and emotional effects of those storms as convenient excuses.
Posted By: andreapal51

Re: STT to Ferry Connections - 09/14/2018 06:42 PM

Are the ferries now running from STT to West End?
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: STT to Ferry Connections - 09/14/2018 07:51 PM

Nope
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline