TravelTalkOnline

Island tour?

Posted By: KGB

Island tour? - 01/05/2019 06:38 PM

Hi folks, we are going to be on a cruise stopping for a day in BVI. What should we see there? We don’t want to go with a huge bus full of people but rather hire a cab or a driver who can show us around and wait for us while we are enjoying the beach. Any recommendations?
Thank you in advance!
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Island tour? - 01/05/2019 09:56 PM

Number one choice..book AC who is a sponsor here..one day with him and you'll wonder why the heck you are getting back on the boat!

Re: Island tour? - 01/06/2019 02:55 AM

Thank you very much! Also, since you know this place better than I’m, could you advise me on the following: is it better to see the island via land tour or boat tour? My wife is thinking of a boat charter but what she found so far is too much$$$. Also I’m concerned with the possibility of the high seas since there are a few people in our group who are not immune to the sea sickness. What would be more practical for the first time visitors?
Any other points or ideas - please share!
Posted By: rhans

Re: Island tour? - 01/06/2019 03:33 AM

Take AC's cab and skip the boat tour. Before you go get a general idea of what would intrest you most about a new place and tell him. I've been around Tortola for 20+ years and I think I would like that tour.
Posted By: SurfandSail

Re: Island tour? - 01/06/2019 11:10 AM

Debs at Island Surf and Sail offers an amazing private snorkel day trip. You can check out all of her details at www.daytripsbvi.com and she is #1 in Tortola on Trip Advisor for outdoor activities. If you consider a day trip, you should consider Debs for a great day out on the water.
Posted By: crmoores

Re: Island tour? - 01/06/2019 04:07 PM

A cat sail is an amazing way to experience any port, if interested look at Aristocat, Kuralu, and Patouche to see if they are operating and what itineraries are offered. You can usually choose between a sail that is more snorkeling or one that is more beach bars. A great way to experience the Baths on Virgin Gorda minus the bigger crowds, or to snorkel the Indians and Norman Caves, or visit White Bay on Jost at an affordable price.

Having said that an island tour is highly recommended, Tortola is a gorgeous island with spectacular, panoramic views, beautiful beaches, and wonderful people. If you opt for an island tour contact Arnold immediately for availability as he is very popular.

[EDIT] Also, if you want to quickly learn what the most popular sights and beaches are, the Tortola forum on Cruise Critic is a great resource for day visitors, especially first-timers. Your port times may limit your options, not sure how long you have. But a tour is doable even for a short time in port.

Re: Island tour? - 01/06/2019 06:16 PM

Thank you everybody for the info! I sent an email to Arnold to see if he is available for our date. Will look into catamaran also but the only thing that worries me is the sea condition when we get there.
Posted By: crmoores

Re: Island tour? - 01/06/2019 07:55 PM

If AC doesn’t have availability you can hire a taxi for a similar hourly rate, but hopefully he can help you...
Posted By: kneafseym

Re: Island tour? - 01/06/2019 09:00 PM

If AC isn't available, Milt McClean of www.Mcleantours.com is great. He is former school teacher and speaks so everyone understands. Some visitors have a hard time with the local "accent" or "island Speak".
Posted By: warren460

Re: Island tour? - 01/06/2019 11:34 PM

AC will recommend a friend if he is not available. I spoke to AC last week about rides on new year's. He sent a friend

Re: Island tour? - 01/07/2019 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by kneafseym
If AC isn't available, Milt McClean of www.Mcleantours.com is great. He is former school teacher and speaks so everyone understands. Some visitors have a hard time with the local "accent" or "island Speak".

The link is dead. I tried searching but nothing.... maybe he is out of business?
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Island tour? - 01/07/2019 12:26 PM

AC is still in business...call him.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline