TravelTalkOnline

Conch mounds in Anegada

Posted By: kimberly2

Conch mounds in Anegada - 03/19/2019 05:54 PM

Are these visible or accessible from land? We are going to anegada via ferry and really want to see them. Wondering if only available to visit by boat. Please let me know if you have insight. Thanks!
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Conch mounds in Anegada - 03/19/2019 05:58 PM

only by boat
Posted By: Christo

Re: Conch mounds in Anegada - 03/19/2019 06:21 PM

If it helps...cut and paste the below coordinates into google maps, that shows you exactly where they are...which alas is far from road access.

18.687653, -64.277218
Posted By: bailau

Re: Conch mounds in Anegada - 03/19/2019 06:33 PM

If you have time for a boat trip Captain Kelly can take you out to see the pile and other cool stuff (flamingoes and great snorkeling)

Face book Anegada Kelly land and sea tour...we have done 4 tours with him

Although I would make a strong case for going over to Loblolly (good snorkeling here) or Cow Wreck and enjoying the beach since you have limited time
Posted By: warren460

Re: Conch mounds in Anegada - 03/19/2019 11:32 PM

Sherwin of team works charters can take you. He is a great host you won’t be disappointed.

You can find him on Facebook.
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Conch mounds in Anegada - 03/20/2019 12:05 PM

We have used Sherwin as well. Great day with him on the water.
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: Conch mounds in Anegada - 03/21/2019 12:20 PM

We were just there a few weeks ago. As others said - only by boat. We took Sherwin’s tour and highly recommend it. Four hours, $100 pp, and only your group. He runs 2 trips a day.
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Conch mounds in Anegada - 03/21/2019 12:53 PM

Has anyone used Kelly's Land and Sea Tours?

Re: Conch mounds in Anegada - 03/21/2019 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Orange_Burst
Has anyone used Kelly's Land and Sea Tours?

If you don't get a specific answer, check on BVIPirate.
Posted By: 706jim

Re: Conch mounds in Anegada - 03/21/2019 04:11 PM

I never heard of conch mounds. However there is a road accessible pile of conch shells that we saw a few years ago where fishing boats land. At this same location, there are a number of abandoned outboard motors and a few decrepit boats with vegetation growing through the hulls. Sorry can't recall the name of the road.

Re: Conch mounds in Anegada - 03/21/2019 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by 706jim
I never heard of conch mounds. However there is a road accessible pile of conch shells that we saw a few years ago where fishing boats land. At this same location, there are a number of abandoned outboard motors and a few decrepit boats with vegetation growing through the hulls. Sorry can't recall the name of the road.

This is the fisherman's dock and different than the conch mounds. I doubt the road has a name.

Re: Conch mounds in Anegada - 03/21/2019 05:35 PM

Here is pic of mound (if I figured out how to do this correctly)

Attached picture P2190869.JPG
Posted By: cwoody

Re: Conch mounds in Anegada - 03/21/2019 05:58 PM

If you zoom in using Google Maps sat view think you can see mounds off East Pt Anegada.

Anegada Conch Mounds
Posted By: denverd0n

Re: Conch mounds in Anegada - 03/22/2019 01:49 PM

What are the water depths like around there? Can you anchor near enough to easily dinghy over to them? Looks like it's about 7.5 miles from Setting Point.

Re: Conch mounds in Anegada - 03/22/2019 01:52 PM

I wouldn't go very far east of setting point. Not sure about you, but it's farther than I trust a charter dinghy and if you don't know the waters, there are lots of coral heads to avoid.
Posted By: Christo

Re: Conch mounds in Anegada - 03/22/2019 01:52 PM

Nearest you can anchor is the main anchorage/mooring field.

...suppose you could dinghy round! Long trip though, depends on the dinghy!

Re: Conch mounds in Anegada - 03/22/2019 06:04 PM

I echo Jason and Christo...too many coral heads and i imagine it is a redlined area for many charter companies. Just get someone to take you and enjoy

In October we did see a lone dinghy out by Conch Island from setting point. This last February we saw 2 power cats rafted and anchored East of Conch Island.
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: Conch mounds in Anegada - 03/25/2019 01:09 PM

Colleen - we were signed up for a tour with Kelly 2 years ago. It was a mess - he was off island, couldn’t get I touch with him, directions he gave us to find his replacement were wrong. Lost our deposit and no tour. A big mess. “Word” on the island (from our trip last month) is that he’s a bit of a shady character.
We loved our trip with Sherwin last month (he’s Ann’s (from Cow Wreck) brother in law)
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Conch mounds in Anegada - 03/25/2019 01:47 PM

Thank you for the information. Sherwin it is!

Re: Conch mounds in Anegada - 03/25/2019 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by CottageGirl
Colleen - we were signed up for a tour with Kelly 2 years ago. It was a mess - he was off island, couldn’t get I touch with him, directions he gave us to find his replacement were wrong. Lost our deposit and no tour. A big mess. “Word” on the island (from our trip last month) is that he’s a bit of a shady character.
We loved our trip with Sherwin last month (he’s Ann’s (from Cow Wreck) brother in law)

We have done 4 trips with Kelly over the last 2 years (and #5 in May) and had no issues...and haven't heard "shady" mentioned about him with the local people we have discussed him with on Anegada. You can also check out his reviews on Trip Advisor. I think just find someone you like and go with them.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline