TravelTalkOnline

Freelance Chef

Posted By: captbob

Freelance Chef - 09/04/2019 01:52 AM

Searching for a good freelance chef for charter in late December out of Tortola.
Posted By: ligot

Re: Freelance Chef - 09/04/2019 11:37 AM

I can't help you with the chef question but I love the idea. How would that work though? Would he/she stay on the boat and take up a cabin or hop off every night and ferry/dinghy home and have to come back in the morning? Or picked up at lunch time? I'm just curious how it would work.
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: Freelance Chef - 09/04/2019 03:55 PM

Most charter companies can hook you up with a chef. They need a cabin to sleep as they’ll be with you the whole charter.

Re: Freelance Chef - 09/04/2019 04:01 PM

ligot.....Chef will have, at minimum, the crew berth in fore peak on a Lagoon 45 and stay aboard for a ten day charter. I bareboat and captain for a group of six....this time around on owner's time but often
directly through charter company.
Posted By: kneafseym

Re: Freelance Chef - 09/04/2019 05:27 PM

Some of those crew berths are not really habitable. They sure look like it on paper, but often they are wet soggy mildew holes. When I was running charters I made that mistake 2x and never again.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Freelance Chef - 09/04/2019 07:36 PM

Must say...I have slept in those "coffins" several times and found them quite comfy...

Re: Freelance Chef - 09/04/2019 10:05 PM

I have too but don't do it anymore. A big issue is no direct access to a head but in this scenario chef can pop up thru the hatch and right down into and thru my cabin to my ensuite head.
I certainly have no problem in sharing cabin with her but find that many women just feel more comfy having their own berth.
Posted By: kneafseym

Re: Freelance Chef - 09/07/2019 03:34 AM

But Mal, you are short and your standards are much lower than a paid crew. It is hit and miss, some forward berths are great, others suck, so I just say no as i don't want to show up and find out. No access to a Loo is a deal breaker for me.
Posted By: sailbynight

Re: Freelance Chef - 09/08/2019 09:23 PM

There are several websites for actual crew that may provide a more appropriate cast of candidates.
Here are just a couple

https://www.crewseekers.net
https://www.findacrew.net
Posted By: DuxDweller

Re: Freelance Chef - 09/09/2019 01:17 PM

So now I'm a little curious about this! Anyone ever hire a chef on their own? Is there an advantage to having your charter co get one? Cost?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline