TravelTalkOnline

What do you look for in a charter boat?

Posted By: maytrix

What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/22/2019 08:24 PM

I was wondering what features (aside from Mono/Cat) that everyone looks for in a charter boat? Our boat is a 2011 and still in charter and I've been wondering what kinds of upgrades we might want to do that might make one choose our boat over another. We have no genset and are not adding that, but are looking at the other possible options beyond that. We also have it listed for sale so anything we do hopefully only makes it more attractive for sale as well.

So any must haves or things that one boat might have that another might not that might make you choose one over the other?

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: warren460

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/22/2019 09:25 PM

Where is the boat in charter?
Posted By: caribbeangirl13

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/22/2019 10:16 PM

What type of boat is it? I would say the #1 thing to have is a water maker although I do realize they can be persnickety and you might not want to have to deal with the teaching and maintenance of it. Also, depending on type of boat, comfy bean bag chairs or something similar for on deck or a cool floaty that you can tie behind the boat.
Posted By: warren460

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/23/2019 12:13 AM

I think that the boat is a a little bigger than a 40' monohull

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/23/2019 01:09 AM

Sorry, forgot 2 key details, although I figure one would be assumed given the forum smile Our boat will be in the BVI. She's been going between BVI and Jamestown RI but I think we're going to stick to the BVI year round moving forward.

She's a Beneteau Oceanis 43. 3 Cabins, 3 heads. Not sure we have the room for a water maker or how feasiblel that is without a genset. But we are replacing the bimini so I was looking at integrating solar panels to it and maybe adding an additional battery if we can which would give us more capacity at least.

Ideally, for those that charter mono's (which seem to be fewer and fewer these days), I'm wondering what would make you pick an older boat vs a newer boat. Price of course is one factor where we would be lower. Just wondering what a new boat might have that an older boat often doesn't and is enough to make paying more for the newer boat worthwhile. All the charters we've done, age really hasn't been a factor that made any difference - we had no issues on some of the older boats we were on and issues with some of the brand new boats we were on. I know not everyone thinks that way though. Off hand the few things I can think of are more up to date instruments, better audio system, solar and wifi? Wondering what I might be missing that makes a difference to some?

Thanks!

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/23/2019 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by caribbeangirl13
What type of boat is it? I would say the #1 thing to have is a water maker although I do realize they can be persnickety and you might not want to have to deal with the teaching and maintenance of it. Also, depending on type of boat, comfy bean bag chairs or something similar for on deck or a cool floaty that you can tie behind the boat.

I'd love custom cushions, I'm just not sure how feasible that is, but we'll have to look at it. Given that we're trying to sell it, that could make it more attractive for sale as well.
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/23/2019 07:13 AM

From my vast experience grin of owning one charter boat in the BVI I'd say forget about chartering an older boat. There are so many new and nearly new boats in the BVI that people just don't charter old boats unless the price is so low it is not worth your while.

My boat was far and away TMMs busiest boat in the first few years but had dropped down quite a way when we left charter at a bit over 6 years old. We then did crewed charter for a couple of years, which worked very well, then sailed around the world, then came back to the BVI and put the boat with what was then termed a 3rd tier charter company. Bookings were poor, costs were high, revenue was low so we left charter, went for one last long distance cruise and then sold.

So I think you should probably forget about charter in the BVI. Things are different -or were different - if you went to other locations, perhaps the Grenadines, although that may have changed now another 6 years down the line.

On doing upgrades to sell. You won't get your money back but they will make the boat easier to sell. You mention custom cushions. You can get these made in the BVI by Doyle Sails and probably others. We had a couple of sets made during our ownership and they excellent.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Posted By: ligot

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/23/2019 12:31 PM

Looking at Jeannius' comments, would it make some sense to talk to a charter company (or a broker who focuses there) in Exumas, Grand Bahama or Key West (Abaco will be a while in coming back) about features they would like to see in an older boat chartered there? The boats I saw seemed older and their feedback could be vital and more well informed? Good luck.

Dave
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/23/2019 01:12 PM

Not having a separate generator aboard will be the dividing line for a lot of your questions/answers.
More and more of the charterers now want *everything* on the boat for a week charter. The market for simpler vessels and charterers who want to sail on boats with fewer amenities is shrinking and almost only driven by cost not preference. For a week out these days, especially with guests newer to charter, the simpler boats are a tough sell. For a 20-30% bump in cost you get much easier power monitoring, AC,flat screen tv's, microwave oven etc.and will make the decision a simple cost comparison.

In your case I would concentrate on the best battery bank you can afford, high output engine charging system, certainly a dedicated isolated starting battery, efficient refrigeration, an inverter system with an easy to monitor panel, any solar assist you can add, well maintained sails and running rigging, top notch bedding, excellent hatches and ports, multiple awning options, comfortable cockpit seating, the best chart plotter you can find, perfectionist engine maintenance, a clean bottom and having a Bristol condition look to the whole vessel.
Nothing wrong with thoughtful upgraded Simple!
Posted By: Kirk

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/23/2019 01:30 PM

We pick when we want to charter, and then see what's available. Don't care about a generator...would prefer not to have AC any how when anchoring/mooring. We play music all the time, but don't need a super system...bluetooth would be nice I suppose. After we stopped using Sunsail, we've really only had one "new" boat. This year we're taking out Conch's Powercat just to see that they're like...amenities didn't play a part in the choice or we'd have probably gone with a different company. Guess we're not typical.
Posted By: wizoc

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/23/2019 01:57 PM

Two main factors when considering what boat to charter. First is simple- newer boats have less maintenance problems and more amenities. I deal with maintenance on my own boat and don't want to think about it on a charter. The second is the charter company. I want to feel comfortable with the people I deal with. Not all companies are the same and knowing who you are dealing with leads to piece of mind.
Posted By: captmoby

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/23/2019 05:27 PM

I cant understand why Charter companies don't put solar panels and wind generators on the boats. Newer wind generators are so quiet you can hardly hear them. We put solar on the boat that Irma destroyed and that was one of the first things we did to the new Moby II. Minimal maintenance and not a lot of cost all things considered. No longer do you need to run the engine to charge the batteries. No need for a generator unless you have AC. Batteries are better taken care of and will last much longer. Wake up in the morning after fans, stereo, fridge, freezer, etc. have run all night, and have a fully charged battery bank ready for coffee. microwave etc.

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/23/2019 06:02 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, appreciate it!
Posted By: jagmansr

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/23/2019 07:20 PM

Lots of thoughts and opinions out there regarding new, slightly new and older boats and the charter company themselves. One of the wonderful aspects of the Virgin Islands is that both before and after Irma, there's options for every sailing budget. Weekly rates can vary from around $3500 to $120000. Ye,s there are some nice large cats equipped with generators, water makes and ice makers, electric wenches and on and on. On the other end of the scales there are simple small monos for charter. Sailing is not a one size fits all. And it's great there are choices out there for those willing to spend top dollar and others that don't. One NEW major consideration now is that Irma did a serious job of leveling the playing field on the conditions of the majority of the boats that survived Irma. With such a disaster, replacement parts were both hard if not impossible to find. Many boats now have replacement Frankenstein parts thanks to other boats now on dry dock being used for replacement parts. That has put most of the BVI fleet into a more even playing field in regarding overall condition. Now, its more important than ever for the charter companies to provide 5 star maintenance. That said, an example of an older boat and in really new boat condition, is my Leopard 42, Island Fun, chartered in Captain's Compass. Brent had his fleet securely tied down for Irma. Island Fun only moved a foot during Irma. AS such, all we lost was our mast. Other than that, our boat survived nicely. For the 2019 sailing season, Brent secured new (not used) masts for all his cats. We also lost our wind gens but those are replaced with solar panels and work wonderfully. Fresh varnish, minor cosmetic work and she looks, feel and sails like a new boat but at a lower charter fee than the new larger cats. We do have air conditioning dock side, but in the 8 years we've been sailing the BVI, we have never needed or wanted air conditionings at night. Only reason I'd ever consider adding a water maker and ice machine would be if I decided to live full time on her. No big deal dealing with water jugs and our freezer keeps ice frozen so no issues there either. Captain's Compass may not have "new" boats but every last one of them is in the best of shape. I'd guess the vast majority of the sailors I meet are very content with older boats. The proof to that is the fact that Brent's boats were constantly out on charter last year while the many of other company fleets remained at dock week after week unused.. My advice is don't over look the smaller companies. There's much more value there than some people see. All with a great sailing experience. I love owning an older boat in the BVI. With Captain's Compass she stays in top condition and is enjoyed by many other sailors.
Posted By: caribbeangirl13

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/23/2019 11:35 PM

Although there are many people who have the money to pay the extra cost to have the fancy boat with all the upgrades, not everyone is like that. When I had to pay to charter a boat I looked at price as my #1 factor and then tried to get the nicest boat I could at the cheapest price, so I agree with jagmansr in saying that there is a pool of people who are looking to go on the cheap (inexpensive). Was thinking simply about luxury when I last posted but a would definitely get the best chart plotter you can buy. Appealing to a charterer and benefits you as well!
Posted By: fromaway3774

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/24/2019 12:58 AM

We are in the market for April 2020 and I have to admit that the number one feature we are looking for is two hulls. The #2 feature is a propane gas grill instead of charcoal. AC and Generators are default on the boats we are looking at so I didn't think to prioritize those. I consider a water maker to be a plus but not a requirement.
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/24/2019 01:42 AM

I would agree with "New upgrades" , but would by necessity have to make sure market recognizes they are indeed new. Having an updated (time-stamped) photos/videos showing the current status (ie great condition) with new chart plotter (or other items) would be helpful, but again this may be limited by the charter company "standardized" marketing. Unfortunately, I believe the market assumes boats beyond 5 years are 2nd tier and beyond 8 years is out of the question(Which I do not agree with, as the quality of boats really depends on ongoing maintenance).

Good luck.
Posted By: texsuns

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/24/2019 05:50 PM

We are mono sailors, charter as a couple, and go for the lower cost 38-40' monos. We sail a 'classic plastic' at home, so even a 10 year old mono is 'new' to us. Most important to us is a well maintained boat with sails in good condition, and a cold & well functioning refer. A big bimini, good chart plotter, and LED interior lights are next in importance. We are there to sail, and our hope is to get a vessel in good condition that performs well.
Posted By: Kegoangoango

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/24/2019 06:43 PM

When we charter we are looking for only a few things. We are two couples who travel together every year.

One of us requires AC even on a mooring ball, so genset/ac is required.

The second thing we look at is price. We'd rather charter an older boat that meets our needs and use the savings for marinas and dinners.

The next thing we look for is how well the boat is set up for single-handling or at least short-handling. Yes, I can sometimes get the others involved, but mostly they prefer to watch.

A good chart plotter that's easily read at the helm and in sunlight is important. Good depth/wind indicators at the helm is important. Autopilot is really nice, but not a requirement. A bimini that allows me to see the main sail is very nice.

Working fuel/water/battery/etc. gauges are important to us. We once had a boat where the fuel gauges didn't work - drove us crazy not knowing how much fuel we had.

We carry our own BT speakers, so sound system is not important. We also use our phones as hot spots, so wifi is not important. Water is easy to get in the BVIs and not that expensive in our minds, so a water maker is also not important.

Cushions, both inside and out, are very important and preferable lighter in color. Realizing that these are easier to stain, we prefer the lighter color because it feels more open.

If two comparable boats is size have these items and the older boat is $750 or more less than the new boat we'd go with the older boat. If the price of the newer boat is only $500 more, then when we calculate the price ($500/# of people/# of days), it's not enough difference for us.

Coffee maker, blender, grill with propane are all very nice.

I'm sure there are other things, but this is our starting point.
Posted By: xrayman67

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/24/2019 09:13 PM

We sail as a couple, so we look for a 38'-42' mono. I like dual helm stations, well maintained with a full swim platform for easy transfer to/from the dingy. The wife requires electric flush toilets. That is a deal breaker for her! Shore A\C is fine. We would not use A\C on a ball, as the breeze coming thru the cabin is one of the things we look forward to. Also prefer a shoal keel. Makes for less stress at Anegada.
Posted By: captdennyj

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/25/2019 10:33 AM

We have been bare boating the BVI for 35 years, and usually charter a bit older vessels. Mono hulls that are set up for sailing and
easy for two people to handle.

Our fairly easy requirements "

* 36 to 37 footers, Professional easy to reef the main sail system . Quality roller fuller for the jib sail . Sheet blocks that run easily on the tracks.

* Dinghy boarding ladder to make getting back on board the dinghy easy after snorkeling

* Stern swim step shower for a fresh water wash down of the body and snorkel gear.

* Ice box, or refer that actually will keep the ice and items cold .

* Comfortable, thick , new , cushions for sleeping up in the V-Berth

* Pull shade for the V-berth overhead hatch....

* Extra line, in good shape, not chaffed , for rigging double bridles when picking up a mooring. Extra dock lines , as well.

* Sails with decent shape..........for those of us who sail

* Accurate knot meter, depth sounder, and wind instruments

* A user friendly binnacle mounted GPS with moving map . Auto pilot that works is also good . But, we hand steer the vessel 90 % of the time.
We alternate helm watches on passages. We absolutely love sailing the vessel and not motoring.

And, I use paper charts , and my own nave tools, and hand bearing compass as well as the GPS.

* Good cockpit cushions, as well as matching small cushions for back rests.

* Accurate fresh water and fuel supply gauges, as well as volt meters for all batteries.

We do not need : A.C, , water maker, or gen set, or ice maker, or water toys , or giant bean bags. ,

^ Storage area for personal gear, and ships inventory. With just two people , we use the quarter berth, for fenders , seat cushions, companion way hatch cover , empty carry on size duffel bags ( 0ne each) and maybe the boat hook.. Extra hangers in the hanging lockers.

* All boat systems , up alpha, and operating

* Easy operation for marine head pump out, some are a beast to work with. Also, easy movement of marine head overboard thru hull.

These last few years we have been sailing the BVI, for our usual two weeks in May,(BVi trip # 17) and very happy with Conch ChartersJjeanneau 36i . For four people we would bounce up to 42 ft monohull. Need one berth area for storage .

Yep, now we prefer older vessels that are well maintained. And the charter company family owned, friendly, easy going, helpful , professional ,and knowledgeable.

Earlier years beginning 36 years ago we were with the moorings, when owned by the Carries.....Then came the merger with Sunsail, and then TUI, now, who knows.

About four or five years ago, after returning to the moorings docks post moorings charter, I had noted 16 descrepancies on an expensive moorings boat, When the staff came to check us in, I went over the squawks, The check- in person, did not understand a word of what I was saying and did not write a single one of them
down. After that, we switched to Sunsail, Eventually, we totally dropped the big corporate rip off, over charging, and indifferent attitude by the TUI staff.

Plus, we sail with just the two of us, not 8 to 12 people on a large catamaran. , Again, tho we have been told
that we are old school, We actually love sailing, and a mono hull fits the two of us just fine.

We also are not sure about investing tens of thousands of dollars for upgrades, A.C, gen sets, ice makers, and floating green dragons, but, that is us, and it is evident that we are a dying breed .. We have noted the definite change to large Catamarans, huge corporations, and large groups of people who want the comforts of a luxury hotel. The times are what they are, and fun can be had by all .

The OP wanted an opinion from monohull sailors as to what we would like to have on board for a bvi sailing vacation......there you go.

Posted By: texsuns

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/25/2019 05:06 PM

I forgot to mention Breeze Boosters. They make a huge difference when you're on the hook or moored without a/c.

Agree with the posts above regarding cushions.
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/25/2019 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by maytrix
Sorry, forgot 2 key details, although I figure one would be assumed given the forum smile Our boat will be in the BVI. She's been going between BVI and Jamestown RI but I think we're going to stick to the BVI year round moving forward.

She's a Beneteau Oceanis 43. 3 Cabins, 3 heads. Not sure we have the room for a water maker or how feasiblel that is without a genset. But we are replacing the bimini so I was looking at integrating solar panels to it and maybe adding an additional battery if we can which would give us more capacity at least.

Ideally, for those that charter mono's (which seem to be fewer and fewer these days), I'm wondering what would make you pick an older boat vs a newer boat. Price of course is one factor where we would be lower. Just wondering what a new boat might have that an older boat often doesn't and is enough to make paying more for the newer boat worthwhile. All the charters we've done, age really hasn't been a factor that made any difference - we had no issues on some of the older boats we were on and issues with some of the brand new boats we were on. I know not everyone thinks that way though. Off hand the few things I can think of are more up to date instruments, better audio system, solar and wifi? Wondering what I might be missing that makes a difference to some?

Thanks!

Matt - I'm curious how you are going to get the information into the hands of potential charter guests. I suppose it depends a bit on how you are going to charter the boat out, i.e., a charter company or some other (?) direct sale perhaps? But in the end the person who is trying to book a boat has to be able to find the information you want to make them aware of. You can have all the upgrades someone might really like but if they are not aware of that how is it a benefit for you in booking out the boat?
Posted By: captdennyj

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/26/2019 11:44 AM

ag,

you have a good point as to getting the word out to the charterers in the BVI....

We have found that there may be a certain vessel that we like, but to fit our use for two weeks into the schedule to get that particular boat really
involves a lot of factors. So far, we have not been able to do that.

Problems "

Other bare boaters schedules, and the vessel being out on charter , maintenance problems, different start dates and returns, owners taking their boats out of
charter, and different vessels coming into charter..

Also, after returning from the last BVI bare boat charter, listening to what the dock staff may have to say about a vessel that they really liked. Last trip, we were
talking strory and visitng with the Conch Staff, actually all of them from the office to the systems check out personnel to the dock staff. We learned that we may like their Beneteau 37, so we took a look at her. Very nice. We would not have had a clue, if we did not open up a conversation with the staff personnel.

In all of our bare boat charters, we never had the same vessel twice.....we get what they have available...in the length and type of boat for our desired start and stop dates.

You have a good point on getting info out on the owners upgrades. Maybe after the new additions, they could add those upgrades on the company's web site that describes the various vessels ammenities. . This would probably work with the smaller family owned charter outfits....doubt it would be feaseable with the large corporations due to the huge amount of vessels that they have in their fleets.
Posted By: RickG

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 09/26/2019 07:59 PM

As a liveaboard, I would look for solar and good batteries; 400AH of LiFePo4 would be great. With no generator, A 12VDC watermaker would be second. This is assuming that the boat is well maintained and has good sails. A/C on the dock is nice to have.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: Rhindley

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 10/01/2019 01:13 AM

Everybody has their own requirements. Mine are: does it float, and will it stay floating? I've never chartered with any fancy options and I'm sure I've have just as much fun as everybody else...or more because I paid less. smile

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 10/02/2019 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by agrimsrud

Thanks!

Matt - I'm curious how you are going to get the information into the hands of potential charter guests. I suppose it depends a bit on how you are going to charter the boat out, i.e., a charter company or some other (?) direct sale perhaps? But in the end the person who is trying to book a boat has to be able to find the information you want to make them aware of. You can have all the upgrades someone might really like but if they are not aware of that how is it a benefit for you in booking out the boat?

Yes, that is a good point. It is with a company now (Swain Sailing) so I'd make sure the site is updated as well as put together a personal site. I would want to make sure everything is listed. Right now we're taking care of some necessary updates (New Genoa and bimini and Dodger) so we'll see what else we might be able to get to.

Thanks to everyone for all the other info, it is very helpful!
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: What do you look for in a charter boat? - 10/02/2019 09:07 PM

Yes, that is a good point. It is with a company now (Swain Sailing) so I'd make sure the site is updated as well as put together a personal site. I would want to make sure everything is listed. Right now we're taking care of some necessary updates (New Genoa and bimini and Dodger) so we'll see what else we might be able to get to.

Thanks to everyone for all the other info, it is very helpful!

Matt - I think that's the right strategy. My boat is in charter with CYOA. They were not set up to deal with boat specific information. So they have a link to my boat web page which I own/manage/control (sv-dreammachine.com) which in turn has a link to the boat's facebook page. This has been relatively successful over the past three years. Though I just got on it for the first time in several weeks and looks like someone has managed to screw with it. Ugh... I'll have to look into it. But you get the idea.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline