Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/07/2019 11:00 PM

Bankruptcy? Sale? WTF?!?!?!

Someone please fill us in!
Posted By: jphart

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/07/2019 11:02 PM

Source?
Posted By: Aries4

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/07/2019 11:04 PM

Life long resident friend on the island, post on Tripadvisor, and a relative of Foxy.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/07/2019 11:38 PM

If he’s bankrupt he can open again...it’s not like he has to start all over, he’s got a captive audience.
Posted By: Aries4

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/08/2019 12:19 AM

From what I'm hearing, he's not running what's happening now.
Posted By: RacerRon

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/08/2019 10:38 AM

I sure didn’t see this one coming!
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/08/2019 12:00 PM

I don't know what his cost structure is but how do you go bankrupt selling overpriced drinks, sandwiches & BBQ in a thatch hut on the beach?
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/08/2019 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by NCSailor
I don't know what his cost structure is but how do you go bankrupt selling overpriced drinks, sandwiches & BBQ in a thatch hut on the beach?

I totally agree. I can only imagine the money he made pre Irma/Maria easily got him through the down time. I find this hard to believe and sincerely hope it is not true.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/08/2019 01:17 PM

My thoughts exactly. But it only gets you through the down times if you put money aside. A lot of BVI businesses weren’t particularly good at that.
Posted By: bailau

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/08/2019 01:42 PM

I saw him Saturday and spoke to him and he didn't mention anything...he did lose his marijuana field behinds Foxys so maybe that dented profits...they didnt seem to be serving but we thought they hadnt opened up yet and it was just a hit and run visit for some people who went there on their honeymoon 30 years ago

IMHO it has continued to go down hill for years...and your reputation can only take you so far. I am hoping Corsairs can fill the gap or Great Harbour wont be the stop it used to be especially with White Bay coming back stronger than before

link to OP?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...ost_Van_Dyke_British_Virgin_Islands.html
Posted By: SusanZ

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/08/2019 02:12 PM

Ok.. they say bad news travels faster than good news... but it also leads to rumors. For the comment about Fox 'losing his marijuana fields" you may refer to this

https://bvinews.com/police-discover-over-20-marijuana-plants-at-foxys/

When it says plants, we're talking numerous seedlings in pots. There were no marijuana fields behind foxy's generating profit for Foxy's. Foxy's makes its money through legal drug sales (alcohol), food and merchandise.

I am sure the rumors will fly on this one, but I'd suggest waiting on an official release from Foxy's.
Posted By: ligot

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/08/2019 02:32 PM

Wow, I thought Pusser's pulling out of Marina Cay was bad. Like you guys I can't wrap my head around the shear #'s of people who flock there daily, the big events etc like Old Year's Night that draw so many. How the heck to you get that under water with debt? Hope it's not true.
Posted By: ugo

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/08/2019 03:28 PM

saw this on trip advisor....

Reviewed 3 days ago
Heard Foxy's is Permanently Closing

We were on Jost yesterday, 10/4 - many of the local cab drivers and even Foxy's son said Foxy's is filing for brankruptcy and shutting down for good. We went there in the morning, the manager said that it was their first day open and they were just setting up. So we went to Soggy Dollar for the day and came back later. It looked like they were packing things up and we heard some chatter about being paid and what to tell customers. I hope this is not true but thought I would review to inform. It is certainly an incredibly unique place.

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/08/2019 03:29 PM

sorry, forgot to add the link...

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/08/2019 03:36 PM

let's try that again....it didn't copy right

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/08/2019 03:45 PM

last try....for some reason it is omitting the middle part, maybe we can fix that with this....maybe not. I'm not too clever with the computer.

so this gets inserted after Attract making that word Attraction and obviously ends with the J for Jost

ion_Review-g580449-d149419-Reviews-Foxy_s_Bar-J
Posted By: Kirk

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/08/2019 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by ugo
last try....for some reason it is omitting the middle part, maybe we can fix that with this....maybe not. I'm not too clever with the computer.

so this gets inserted after Attract making that word Attraction and obviously ends with the J for Jost

ion_Review-g580449-d149419-Reviews-Foxy_s_Bar-J

The link was already posted.....

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/08/2019 04:27 PM

sorry. I couldn't get the link to work before. Now it's working okay. Must be me.
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/08/2019 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ugo
sorry. I couldn't get the link to work before. Now it's working okay. Must be me.

The middle is removed just to shorten the text..
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/08/2019 08:16 PM

As we are all preparing for Foxy's Catfight any accurate info would be much appreciated. Anyone from the "Loyal" West End Yacht Club have info? I will be on Tortola Thursday and will report what I can find out then. Cannot imagine bankrupcy..or the fact of the many kids would not take it over. Dont think " Corsair's" could fill the void...
Posted By: sleepychef

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/08/2019 09:39 PM

Well tomorrow everyone can get a proper answer as Interline rock up for their party.

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/09/2019 12:39 AM

okay...totally different account here. I hope this is the right version.

This was posted on facebook about an hour ago:

Foxy's Tamarind Bar

Foxy says hi! 🦊 We are getting ready for another awesome season full of good friends and parties at Foxy’s Tamarind Bar, we are opening very soon, stay tuned! 🏝 But stop by and say hi! Our beautiful shop is wide open, Annie or one of the other amazing staff will be there to greet you with a smile upon your arrival and Foxy is here most days, as usual he is always ready to greet guests with a Smile and a Song!
Posted By: Spirit2015

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/10/2019 09:00 PM

WEYC will be holding the Catfight as always!
We are looking forward to the start of a great new Regatta season. See you soon!
Kelly
Posted By: jphart

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/10/2019 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by sleepychef
Well tomorrow everyone can get a proper answer as Interline rock up for their party.

Tomorrow has come and gone. Has Foxy's as well?

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/11/2019 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by jphart
Originally Posted by sleepychef

Tomorrow has come and gone. Has Foxy's as well?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Posted By: capndar

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/11/2019 01:19 PM

Foxy's FB page seems to indicate all is well...

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/11/2019 02:02 PM

The question was answered by stating that INTERLINE was having their party there, sorry if it wasn't spelled out clearly enough

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/13/2019 09:02 PM

So Foxy's is open???No one on Tortola seems to know for sure.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/13/2019 09:10 PM

Dean posted what was going on on his Facebook page.
Posted By: captmoby

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/13/2019 09:26 PM

Any truth to the roomers?
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/13/2019 09:54 PM

Very bizarre.
Posted By: Cleobeach

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/13/2019 10:10 PM

Anyone else read the Facebook post?

It reads that Foxy adopted a 50+ year old man (David Deitrich) and signed over the land to him. Am I missing something? This sounds too bizarre.
Posted By: RacerRon

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/13/2019 10:26 PM

I can't find the post! Is there a link?

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/13/2019 10:31 PM

I barely know how to use Facebook. Search for Dean Callwood and you will see his page and a post about what happened.

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/14/2019 12:01 AM

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10220601306728404&id=1406569350
Posted By: SusanZ

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/14/2019 02:04 AM

Hi Guys, Foxy's is trying to open on Tuesday. Fingers crossed! Looking forward to seeing some of you for the Cat Fight. I know there's a lot of confusion out there. I will post back to confirm opening.
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/14/2019 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cleobeach

It reads that Foxy adopted a 50+ year old man (David Deitrich) and signed over the land to him. Am I missing something? This sounds too bizarre.

David that is one of his boat captains?

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/14/2019 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Orange_Burst
Originally Posted by Cleobeach

David that is one of his boat captains?

That is what I thought when I read it. Seems we met him a few years back while trying to coordinate a snorkel trip with him while staying on Jost. This is all truly bizarre if what Dean says is true.
Posted By: EllenS

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/14/2019 06:57 PM

Yes we used Foxy's Water Taxi several times and he (David) runs it I believe (at least he always was the one that answered my emails and made arrangements.
Posted By: Tortolian

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/14/2019 09:17 PM

There was just a press conference on this on JTV with Foxy and David.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/jtv55/posts/?ref=page_internal
Posted By: Dreamer

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/14/2019 10:22 PM

Hard to understand with no sound. His actions speak volumes.

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/14/2019 10:37 PM

Sound is there...click the unmute button on the facebook video itself

That is really sad to listen to and watch.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/14/2019 10:38 PM

It sure looks like something very evil is happening.
Posted By: Schwendy

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/14/2019 11:29 PM

Sounds like this David guy doesn't have any money to invest but he's been talking to Kenny Chesney's people and they are the investors? I still love the BVI but things have been heading downhill now for 5 years. I liked Kenny Chesney, thought he actually cared but he is the main reason things started to change on Jost. I was never even much of a fan of Foxy's bar but if Chesney turns it into a Margaritaville type tourist rip off then I guess Anegada it will be for now on. Until that changes too.

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/15/2019 01:16 AM

Talk about a ball of confusion...
Posted By: DanS

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/15/2019 03:04 AM

Talk about a ball of confusion...

That's what the world is today (hey hey)
Posted By: Sunnykm

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/15/2019 06:55 AM

Mal I am hoping your journalism expertise will pick this apart for all of us who tried to watch and understand the videos posted to FB.

It was difficult to watch. Is Foxy concerned about the intentions of his family? Has there been financial issues with them? Has David Detrich been a loyal employee who has now found funding to buy out Foxy? I am still not clear at all.

A lot to ask of you but you have the experience and wisdom to sort this out for me and many of us on TTOL.

Karen
Posted By: toast

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/15/2019 11:19 AM

Holy Moly............... I am sure alot more will come out before this is over....

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/15/2019 11:36 AM

https://bvinews.com/health-departme...director-accused-of-sabotaging-business/

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/15/2019 12:10 PM

This is getting weird.

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/15/2019 12:26 PM

Not sure where to even start on this..would be interesting to dig into this guys background and see if there is a pattern. It reminds me of someone who took over another famous BVI bar and ran it right into the ground..found out he had done it in a couple of other countries..grab the incoming cash til the place is a wreck and run. Not saying that is what this guy is all about but I would love to be working on " American Greed" right now to dig into this! For the moment it sounds like Tessa and Justine have righted the ship..

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/15/2019 01:52 PM

Anybody who watches that video will be cautious of David...appears to be an expert on "gaslighting" and doesn't come across as genuine. Having talked to Foxy multiple times in the last decade and very recently and hearing and watching him in the video he seems to be losing his faculties which you could expect from any 82 year old....

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/15/2019 02:09 PM

I thought the same thing watching the FB video this morning. My father passed away at 80 and months before he was spouting some odd stuff. Hopefully the Callwood's will come out of this okay.
Posted By: mriley4955

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/15/2019 05:09 PM

I just watched the entire video and it is so sad to see that family being ripped apart by money.

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/15/2019 08:34 PM

Just watched the other video before the news conference. Very different story from Foxy in regard to just the shop alone, a payment of $12,500 from profit off a years sales of $2million, and 20% of the till from Foxy's going elsewhere every time also leaves more questions than answers.

It needs to come out of the public and go back to lawyers to settle without this guy David whatever his second name is pushing everyone against Foxy.

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/15/2019 10:49 PM

what I said earlier. holy moly......
Posted By: sail445

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/16/2019 12:09 AM

It’s amazing Foxy is 82, always thought he was early 70’s
Posted By: Dlucerne

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/17/2019 08:07 PM

We have been to Foxy's several times in past 10 yrs where his son would start of being friendly and telling jokes only to later tell us not so nice stories about Foxy. I wonder if there was enough dissension amoung the family that he felt he simply could not entrust the business to be run in a sustainable manor by his direct kin.

Im interested to hear if anyone else experienced this behavior from one of Foxy's adult sons
Posted By: YachtReprise

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/18/2019 04:16 AM

This is so complicated, and sad, all at once. In the beginning there was just Foxy, playing his guitar in nothing but a shack on the beach. He sang his songs of protest, and had the knack of customizing them to his audience. Tess comes along. She's a really pretty Brit with a sense of adventure, and they 'fall in love'. Foxy just wants to play his guitar and enjoy his new love.

But Tess is bored and ambitious. She builds the Foxy's brand to an iconic state - expanding the bar, establishing the gift shop, establishing relationships with other organizations, like the West End Yacht Club. Foxy becomes THE place to be on NYE. Foxy's becomes a cash cow.

Meanwhile....it's the same Foxy. He believes that his sons should work hard, just like he did when he was their age(s). He has no clue of the tremendous cash that his (Tessa's) entities were generating.(And as an aside.....Foxy vacillated between drugs of choice, and also total abstinence, depending upon his most recent spiritual calling.)

So Tessa maintained the ever-burgeoning business, including the establishment of Foxy's Taboo at the East End, run by their only biological daughter, Justine. Justine was educated in the States, and always identified with her Mom.

Tessa invested in other entities....clubs and bars in Tortola and St Thomas....apparently not successfully. But I know nothing of that. Foxy's sons worked at the bar, just like they were expected to. And they feel left out.

So now, David steps in, initially to establish Foxy's Charters, but then becomes Foxy's new best friend. The jury remains out as to his motivations, but it appears, that although he's kind of an arrogant jerk, he's sincere in his efforts to protect Foxy's interests.Again, the jury is still out.

So.....Foxy is apparently broke. But with an incredibly valuable 36acres of beachfront property, and still, at 81, an iconic brand with a whole lot of earning potential.

Tess and Foxy have grown apart... for obvious reasons. Foxy proffers a quite lude reason in his press confrence just recently. Whatever.

What to expect from Foxy's in the upcoming season? I think it will be business as usual. Tess won't let the bar fail.....again the cash cow.

Foxy will continue to play his guitar. He can't help himself.

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/18/2019 11:51 AM

There has been a lot of mention of the 36 acres of beachfront property. Where exactly is this property?

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/18/2019 03:10 PM

"He believes that his sons should work hard, just like he did when he was their age(s)"

"Foxy's sons worked at the bar, just like they were expected to. And they feel left out."

Every family business has the same story. Different businesses, different locations but all have the same dysfunction when the next generation grow up and out of their parent's shadow. Speaking from experience.
Posted By: casailor53

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/18/2019 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by YachtReprise
Tess comes along. She's a really pretty Brit with a sense of adventure, and they 'fall in love'. Foxy just wants to play his guitar and enjoy his new love.

Not to quibble, but pretty sure Tessa is from Australia. Otherwise, what I know from living in the BVI, and from what I've heard recently, you are absolutely correct.

Personally, I always thought Dean was an "alfa hotel."
Posted By: YachtReprise

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/19/2019 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by casailor53
Originally Posted by YachtReprise
Tess comes along. She's a really pretty Brit with a sense of adventure, and they 'fall in love'. Foxy just wants to play his guitar and enjoy his new love.

Not to quibble, but pretty sure Tessa is from Australia. Otherwise, what I know from living in the BVI, and from what I've heard recently, you are absolutely correct.

Personally, I always thought Dean was an "alfa hotel."

Yup, you're right. Tessa is an Aussie. Forgot that. Thanks.

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/19/2019 11:55 AM

I never heard the expression 'alpha hotel' before.. Seems urban dictionary gives about 8 words to define it...none of which would be acceptable language on TTOL.
Posted By: Breeze

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/19/2019 05:36 PM

Don't over think it, Ugo. Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel...

A--
H---.
Posted By: denverd0n

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/31/2019 01:51 PM

In some ways reminds me of the tug-of-war and legal battles after Bob Marley died! Except, of course, Foxy is still alive and kicking.

I guess money will do that, sometimes.

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/31/2019 03:02 PM

We were there this past weekend for the Cat Fight and it was business as usual. You wouldn't know anything had happened.

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/31/2019 08:40 PM

glad to hear...

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/31/2019 09:52 PM

Seems the guy in the interview with Foxy is being deported and Tessa is back in control. Things are back to normal at Foxy’s? Not sure what that is but it’s also none of my business. We stop in for a beer but don’t hang around too long. Service and food have been inconsistent for a long time.
Posted By: cbinparadise

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 10/31/2019 11:00 PM

Back in late June, while we (7 of us) were staying on St. John, we did a charter over to Jost and went to Foxy's 1st. I didn't see him anywhere. We stood at the bar for a good 20 minutes while the bartender waited on everyone sitting at the bar and ignored us. It was around 11am on a Tuesday and the place was not busy...except for the folks sitting around the bar. It was just bizarre. We finally left and went around to White Bay and proceeded to feed the economy for several hours. I never did figure that out. And I've been going to the VI for 40 years (lived in the USVI for 10) and know to say "good morning"...LOL
Posted By: shiloh8912

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 11/10/2019 05:17 PM

Foxy’s was up and running last Wednesday when we were in Great Harbour. We went upstairs and he was sitting and singing as usual. Wednesday night there was a good crowd there, heading off the dock someone told us not to waste our time, service and food were mediocre, so we walked down to Corsairs instead.

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 11/10/2019 05:45 PM

The service and food has been mediocre for a long time. I will grab a beer while the wife hits the gift shop then onto better places with smiling faces.

Re: Ummm...Foxy's is closing for good? - 11/10/2019 07:31 PM

We were there 2 weeks ago for the Cat Fight and the service and food were excellent. Foxy was downstairs mingling with the crowd and everyone was having a great time.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline