TravelTalkOnline

Boatyball

Posted By: Memphré

Boatyball - 12/20/2019 02:07 PM

Hello evrebody, I am new on this forum an old timer sailor. I notice this morning that the number of Boatyball buoys in Great Harbor went from 5 to 13...
´
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Boatyball - 12/20/2019 07:00 PM

It just gets worse!
G
Posted By: sail445

Re: Boatyball - 12/20/2019 08:07 PM

The whole BVI scenario is slowly going to the dogs, but then it has been for the last 20 years regardless of tariffs and corrosive service.
As long as people tip ridiculously when the server ignores them and then kisses up to the server things won’t change.
Posted By: Breeze

Re: Boatyball - 12/20/2019 10:23 PM

Sailors who have no issue setting an anchor or two don't need to be concerned with BoatyBall. Might take a couple tries in GH to get a good set, but that extra hour or so on the boat means cheaper beer or boat drinks, and no mooring bill. Make sure your depth finder is calibrated ( and that you know to what it is calibrated).

Always a choice.

Re: Boatyball - 12/20/2019 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Breeze
Sailors who have no issue setting an anchor or two don't need to be concerned with BoatyBall. Might take a couple tries in GH to get a good set, but that extra hour or so on the boat means cheaper beer or boat drinks, and no mooring bill. Make sure your depth finder is calibrated ( and that you know to what it is calibrated).

Always a choice.

Not always a choice when the mooring fields are full.
The charter companies don’t supply enough chain averaging about 125’. Most places require two anchors so you can set your boat where it won’t swing into a moored boat.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Boatyball - 12/21/2019 11:05 AM

We were in great harbor on Jvd yesterday. About half of the balls at great harbor are now boaty balls. People are reserving the white fcfs balls with dinghies kayaks and paddle boards. These white fcfd balls are gone very quickly. By around 4pm around half of the bb were still vacant. Hence anyone arriving late in the day either had to go elsewhere or were forced to use boaty ball. Around 4 or 5 balls were reserved in the hour or so before sunset.

I thought that people were choosing to use boatyball for peace of mind that they would get a ball for the night.

Obviously that's not the case anymore. You want to go to this anchorage, you better arrive earlier or plan on using a red ball as you likely have no choice.

I wonder who owns the boat balls here?

Sopers hole now has some boaty balls.
Posted By: CaptainJay

Re: Boatyball - 12/21/2019 12:06 PM

All of our CYOA boats have 250 feet or more of anchor chain. :-) This also is not an issue in the National Park in St John :-)
Posted By: trueblue

Re: Boatyball - 12/21/2019 02:21 PM

My memory may be foggy, but I thought anchoring in the National Parks in St. John was not permitted unless all moorings were occupied.

Re: Boatyball - 12/21/2019 02:23 PM

I think he means there is no boatyball in the parks and Moorings are usually available at a reasonable price.
G

Re: Boatyball - 12/21/2019 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainJay

All of our CYOA boats have 250 feet or more of anchor chain. :-) This also is not an issue in the National Park in St John :-)

CYOA has always been one step ahead:-))

Re: Boatyball - 12/21/2019 06:52 PM

All the Moorings boats should have 230 feet of chain. I have anchored for diving in 80 feet and it held the boat well. The interesting thing is that at greater depths the weight of the chain provides some scope relief. In open water with 15 knots of wind the last 50 feet of the anchor chain was basically on the bottom which surprised me.
G

Re: Boatyball - 12/21/2019 08:23 PM

Wow, Well I wouldn’t trust it for an overnight in 80’
Posted By: mcevog

Re: Boatyball - 12/21/2019 10:57 PM

Pretty sure the factory standard fit for a Lagoon 450 is 85meters of chain... so it would be unusual for a Cat of that size to have less than 230/250ft in the locker...

Re: Boatyball - 12/21/2019 11:14 PM

I would not even trust it for a dive except we kept a qualified skipper onboard. Still surprised me so much chain was on the bottom.
G

Re: Boatyball - 12/22/2019 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
I would not even trust it for a dive except we kept a qualified skipper onboard. Still surprised me so much chain was on the bottom.
G

One heck of a lunch hook smile
But back to the crowded mooring fields,in some cases the waters where you can anchor are 40’+- and a second anchor to keep you in one place (Bahamian Moor) is needed.
Boaty Ball suits the owners so they don’t have the hassle to send someone to collect but like most people say there are day boats that want to have lunch or cocktails and move on to another island and this Boatyball restricts it and the restaurants lose more then the cost of a mooring.
Merry Christmas
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Boatyball - 12/22/2019 02:00 PM

Not sure that a lot of charter sailors realize what a Bahama Moor looks like.

https://www.sailingtoday.co.uk/practical/set-bahamian-moor/
Posted By: SusanZ

Re: Boatyball - 12/23/2019 12:32 AM

So i always read the boatyball controversy on this site with interest.

To answer a previous question about great harbour - 10 balls belong to Foxy, 10 balls belong to Rose & John (Cool Breeze Bar & Restaurant) and 10 balls belong to Sherman and Camilla (North Latitude Marina). I believe all have some number of Boatyballs (as of this past week) and David Blyden (Foxy's Taboo) also has about 5.

I've been on both sides-- stuck trying to find a ball and from the side of collecting and/or being asked/called by guests if there is any way to reserve balls.

Is boatyball actually the problem or is the problem that some of the anchorages just need more mooring balls?
Posted By: SusanZ

Re: Boatyball - 12/23/2019 12:33 AM

I'm always interested to read the debate on here about boaty ball. I had a private ball in Great Harbour which we labeled with an additional buoys that said private. In seas, almost every time we would take guests out we would return to find someone on the ball. I often had to get in the dinghy and go bar to bar while the captain circled the harbour.

I know the frustration of not getting a ball and have also had to annual field calls from people begging for me to find a way to reserve a ball for them for Old Years Night.

Re: Boatyball - 12/23/2019 03:52 AM

The main problem is that there are less fcfs balls. Less choices, people are forced to use boatyball. Boatyball does not solve the problem of not enough balls. It makes the problem far worse.
Posted By: bailau

Re: Boatyball - 12/23/2019 06:44 PM

Agree with my friend Warren...more mooring balls aren't necessarily the answer since the fixed cost on these balls to a business has to be amortized through a 365 day year even when the field isnt fully utilized. More balls also crowd out those who would use a hook and many of these fields are crowded already. In fact on my Feb visit to GH JVD a boat anchored improperly swung around and hit us as we were on a mooring ball.

Boaty Ball is a "cure" that is worse than the disease...

From a business perspective BB are the last balls that most people use as evidenced by the "boatyball hole" when you come to field and see all the FCFS balls full yet the BB ones empty so a business is at a disadvantage to use them when there are FCFS alternatives in a field. I would imagine the goal of Foxys is to drive as many customers in the door so it really doesn't matter at a high level how they get there or what type of ball they are on.

Re: Boatyball - 12/23/2019 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by LocalSailor
Not sure that a lot of charter sailors realize what a Bahama Moor looks like.

https://www.sailingtoday.co.uk/practical/set-bahamian-moor/

For an overnighter you can tie off the kedge anchor to a bow cleat which makes it simpler.
Posted By: Breeze

Re: Boatyball - 12/23/2019 09:52 PM

Boaty Ball wants boaters to think that BB is the best and only right choice in a mooring field.

It is a lot like Driver's Ed doesn't want to teach students about Emergency Brakes, or clutch and shift standard transmission cars. There always seems to be an " easier way".

When boaters realize that BB actually reduces their choice, while charging them extra for the privilege of doing so, there will be a light bulb moment.
Posted By: NotquiteCapnRon

Re: Boatyball - 12/24/2019 12:14 AM

"Light bulb moment" should have occurred when the first post ever troll named after a lake monster suckered you all in to pissing and moaning about BB in yet another tiresome BB thread.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Boatyball - 12/24/2019 12:15 AM

I would expect to arrive and find the FCFS balls taken and the Boaty Balls empty! That's why they paid for BB, so they could sail, snorkel, hang out on a beach, whatever and arrive late to find a ball. You wouldn't pay for a BB if you planned to arrive early.

The elephant in the room is the size of the boats in today's fleets. Some mooring fields were laid out when a 40' mono was a BIG boat. Now there cats above 60'. I am most familiar with MC, and I can tell you things can get very interesting when the winds and currents have the monos and cats laying in different directions.
Posted By: TomSW

Re: Boatyball - 12/24/2019 04:33 AM

Pretty good catch on the lake monster name.
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Boatyball - 12/24/2019 05:48 AM

I don't know if Boaty Ball has anything to do with the spacing and layout of the mooring balls, but I do know that we touched another boat on a mooring (40' and 42' cat) for the very first time in 15 trips to the BVI and lots elsewhere. Anegada mooring field.
Posted By: Kirk

Re: Boatyball - 12/24/2019 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by NotquiteCapnRon
"Light bulb moment" should have occurred when the first post ever troll named after a lake monster suckered you all in to pissing and moaning about BB in yet another tiresome BB thread.

I could be mistaken, but I believe thread participation is still optional.

Re: Boatyball - 12/25/2019 02:16 AM

Ratmanswife, My point was that all fcfs balls were taken and less than half of the bb were booked.

Anyone arriving late was forced to either leave or use bb.
Posted By: xrayman67

Re: Boatyball - 12/25/2019 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by warren460
Ratmanswife, My point was that all fcfs balls were taken and less than half of the bb were booked.

Anyone arriving late was forced to either leave or use bb.

Great point!!! So far we've been able to avoid BB. Hope the same this May!
Posted By: wizoc

Re: Boatyball - 12/26/2019 01:55 PM

Is anchoring really that much of a lost art? When the FCFS balls are full if people anchored maybe boatyball would slowly disappear.

Re: Boatyball - 12/26/2019 03:14 PM

The oft-repeated solution is for the addition of mooring balls. Of course there is limited suitable space. The mooring field owners need to maximize their revenue from the space available.

One way to do that would be to space the moorings according to the size and type of boats: smaller boats on more closely spaced balls; big ones on balls set further apart. Moorings could be priced accordingly: $25 for a 35' mono; $60 for a big cat.

BoatyBall could facilitate that by showing you moorings appropriate for the boat you are on. This would maximize both the number of moorings and the revenue to the ball owners.

Re: Boatyball - 12/26/2019 04:14 PM

More mooring balls is not a practical business solution...and my prior point was that the boatyballs were empty all night, not just until someone showed up (i.e. boatyball hole). Given excess supply, FCFS are preferred over BB and the BB owners at a disadvantage relative to the other suppliers of FCFS balls in the field. So BB hurts the maximization of revenue in less than full fields relative to your other players in that field ceteris parabus.

Re: Boatyball - 12/26/2019 05:36 PM

BoatyBall doesn't own any balls: they manage reservations for the ball owners, who are the same people who own the fcfs balls.

The owner sends out an attendant to collect the fees in cash, has to track that cash and take it to a bank - on another island - and wait in line for over an hour to deposit it. Or it shows up in his bank account.

The mooring owners choose to associate with BB, and they are in the best position to choose the system that maximizes their financial success.
Posted By: sleepychef

Re: Boatyball - 12/26/2019 05:40 PM

Boaty Ball has come due to the fact that less than 10% of people come in and pay for their moorings, FACT. I am considering using an App, not boatyball for the front 10 balls as no one wants to take a short dinghy ride to pay $30....

Re: Boatyball - 12/26/2019 05:47 PM

We have been spoiled by friendly people coming out to collect the mooring fees.

Re: Boatyball - 12/26/2019 05:56 PM

I recognize boatyball doesn't own the mooring balls...when I refer to "owners" I am referring to whomever owns the balls (e.g. Wonky Dog).

The collections and deposit system is truly an issue and probably the "only major issue" recognizing if no one is on your mooring to start with collections issues don't matter.

I think Peter's idea is excellent and solves the direct problem without creating others. I would submit this solution "maximizes their financial success" far greater than a solution that drives boaters to other mooring balls and other owners when those captains have a "choice"
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Boatyball - 12/26/2019 06:49 PM

The mooring fields have gotten very crowded with the size of the new cats. After hooking to a mooring at Leverick in March we were only 25’ from the boat behind us. This was a FCFS balls. Uncomfortably close. We had a consistent wind so the boats all stayed in line but I could see a tangled mess on a windless night. This was our first trip down post-Irma. I don’t recall being this close before but we were on a 48’ cat as the result of an upgrade so maybe that had something to do with it.

Re: Boatyball - 12/26/2019 07:45 PM

NCS, sorry they only upgraded you to a kitten! Now the cats are 58', some of them look to be over 60'. And fat cats, too. Nearly as wide as they are long!

Re: Boatyball - 12/27/2019 01:21 PM

The concept of online payment for balls is a good idea. It’s the reservation part that has people upset. Boatyball promised FCFS balls when they announced their plans. When are they coming?
G

Re: Boatyball - 12/27/2019 03:14 PM

The concept of online payment for balls is a good idea. It’s the reservation part that has people upset. Boatyball promised FCFS balls when they announced their plans. When are they coming?
G

Wonder why they don't reply....the dude is always logged in here whenever I look in.

Re: Boatyball - 12/27/2019 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kirk
G

Wonder why they don't reply....the dude is always logged in here whenever I look in.

Boats Ball is a business and the last thing they want is more FCFS.
In actuality they’re going to acquire all the mooring balls little by little.

Re: Boatyball - 12/27/2019 08:27 PM

BB has been exploiting a post Irma market where moorings are limited in high season. This high demand situation won’t last forever. I don’t see BEYC paying BB $10 to rent their balls. They will develop an app to rent FCFS so they they don’t have to handle the cash pickup. Wonky says it is going that way. There is no need for a middleman to rent moorings. The sophisticated owners will buy the app from some smart guy for a nominal price. The less sophisticated will still send a a guy out to collect as making one job into three keeps the BVI economy running at the low level it had been at for years.

Re: Boatyball - 01/15/2020 08:51 PM

Hmmmm....

The 24 hour advanced reservation feature will be made available to the first 6 users that sign up for this feature through this form for any given week. We are limiting the number of users to ensure that anyone with this feature has access to the bay of their choice and to ensure that 90% of all moorings in the program are available to members with our basic membership.

Your submission will not be considered unless the start of your travel is within 30 days of this submission.

Once submitted we will send out an invoice and you will have 24 hours to pay for this feature. If not paid in 24 hours the slot will be opened back up for another user.

The 24 hour advanced reservation feature is $423.00 for seven consecutive days. You can add additional days for $53.00 per day.

By upgrading your membership you will have the ability to reserve moorings 24 hours before users with the basic membership. The upgraded membership also allows you to reserve the same mooring ball for consecutive nights if you would like to stay on the same mooring.

The subscription fee does not include the nightly rate of the moorings. Members with the advanced feature are still limited to one mooring reservation per night.

If you meet the above criteria and would like to upgrade your membership then please fill out the form below and submit.

https://survey.zohopublic.com/zs/nd...BlOndRWDr75xXTl-AA3ZF-80_NgzCOlasL10FGWs

Re: Boatyball - 01/15/2020 10:03 PM

Hmmmm....

The 24 hour advanced reservation feature will be made available to the first 6 users that sign up for this feature through this form for any given week. We are limiting the number of users to ensure that anyone with this feature has access to the bay of their choice and to ensure that 90% of all moorings in the program are available to members with our basic membership.

Your submission will not be considered unless the start of your travel is within 30 days of this submission.

Once submitted we will send out an invoice and you will have 24 hours to pay for this feature. If not paid in 24 hours the slot will be opened back up for another user.

The 24 hour advanced reservation feature is $423.00 for seven consecutive days. You can add additional days for $53.00 per day.

By upgrading your membership you will have the ability to reserve moorings 24 hours before users with the basic membership. The upgraded membership also allows you to reserve the same mooring ball for consecutive nights if you would like to stay on the same mooring.

The subscription fee does not include the nightly rate of the moorings. Members with the advanced feature are still limited to one mooring reservation per night.

If you meet the above criteria and would like to upgrade your membership then please fill out the form below and submit.

https://survey.zohopublic.com/zs/nd...BlOndRWDr75xXTl-AA3ZF-80_NgzCOlasL10FGWs

Wow you have a chance for Advanced parking throughout the BVI. with only a credit card.
I’m sure the charterers who tip tip $50 to an expert line handler who grabs one of your dock lines are in seventh heaven.

Re: Boatyball - 01/15/2020 10:39 PM

423.00 dollars for 7 nights and you still get to pay 50.00 a night. Total charge 773 dollars or only 101.00 per night. Wow what a deal. I warned when boatyball started this would be coming.
George
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Boatyball - 01/15/2020 11:26 PM

423.00 dollars for 7 nights and you still get to pay 50.00 a night. Total charge 773 dollars or only 101.00 per night. Wow what a deal. I warned when boatyball started this would be coming.
George

I thought they were $40/night.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Boatyball - 01/15/2020 11:34 PM

With the addition of the advance reservation concept, it reminds me of the Fast Lane concept at many amusement parks. I dock very near Cedar Point amusement park in Ohio so I never saw the advantage to me of buying the Fast Lane pass at a premium because I can just go to the park on a quiet day. If I traveled a long distance to get there once a year I think I'd invest the $ in the Fast Lane to be sure I rode everything I wanted to. This seems like the same idea.

If I vacationed 1 week a year and spent $10k on a charter with a group of 8, I don't think I'd hesitate to guarantee my mooring choice for $12.55/person/night. Definitely a pricey option but I think it will sell and there is still the sharp heavy thing on the bow of all charter boats as an option.

Re: Boatyball - 01/15/2020 11:43 PM

If I'm not mistaken, BB isn't available at every harbor, so you're paying g for nights that you aren't using it, no?
Posted By: NoelHall

Re: Boatyball - 01/16/2020 12:19 AM

Perhaps a 'Christmas/New Year's' offering? It doesn't seem to make much sense otherwise.

Re: Boatyball - 01/16/2020 12:38 AM

Only when the business's of the BVI are hurt by this will it end...Cooper is off our list.

Always hate opening this Forum and seeing the word "boatyball" in a thread.

Re: Boatyball - 01/16/2020 12:54 AM

$773 per week is $110 per night for the advantage of booking 24 hours early. The cost goes up if you choose to spend a night in an anchorage that doesn't have BB. That is beyond ridiculous.

Re: Boatyball - 01/16/2020 01:12 AM

I feel bad for those that get up early to enter the boaty ball rat race. They had trouble getting balls before this. Now it will get harder to get a bb reservation. So, even more people will waste more holiday time.

Why bother with bb? IIf nobody uses them, bye bye bb and fcfs returns.
Posted By: sleepychef

Re: Boatyball - 01/16/2020 01:30 AM

at least on the 8th day it goes down to $93 for the night , bargain really...
Posted By: SoggyDollarScott

Re: Boatyball - 01/16/2020 04:53 AM

What about White Bay ?? What’s the status of BoatyBall there ??
Posted By: Nibj

Re: Boatyball - 01/16/2020 10:45 AM

I know this opinion will draw some fire.... But I think BoatyBall is a comfort. We like to sail and go to intermediate stops like the Dogs on the way. BoatyBall gives us peace of mind that we will have a mooring at the end of the day.

Two issues did arise on this charter
1) the weather was bad over the weekend and we wanted to stay on a ball for a second night. It took some fast click work to get the same ball for a second night. It would be helpful if BB had an option for extended stay.
2) we arrived at a mooring field to find someone on our BB. They had broken down (the charter company got them going later in the afternoon). So we took an FCFC ball. Nothing to be done about this unfortunate event except work with the situation.

No BoatyBalls at White Bay presently.

Re: Boatyball - 01/16/2020 12:34 PM

You won the lottery. Next trip you will not be as happy unless of course you pay the 473 dollar early booking fee.
G

Re: Boatyball - 01/16/2020 01:34 PM

You won the lottery. Next trip you will not be as happy unless of course you pay the 473 dollar early booking fee.
G

Exactly. Every time I read about BB, something new has come up making it harder to win the BB lottery. Previously it was preferential reservations for booking your charter through them (or something along those lines.) Now we hear this one...pay double and get to book a day ahead. All this takes inventory out of the 7:00am race to reserve a ball.
Wonder who all this new advance money goes to?
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Boatyball - 01/16/2020 03:12 PM

G

Wonder who all this new advance money goes to?

Not sure where the new money ends up BUT I do know where it is coming from, the BVI boaters willing to pay those prices.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline