TravelTalkOnline

Interline Regatta

Posted By: lisajctx

Interline Regatta - 07/22/2020 02:51 PM

I saw that Moorings just posted the race schedule on Facebook with the start date of October 13th. Maybe they have inside info on a reopening date for the BVI’s?! We can only hope!
Posted By: SusanZ

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/22/2020 08:45 PM

Hahaha. i doubt. watch what's happening on Jost. Do you really think this government is going to reopen?
Posted By: Breeze

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/22/2020 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by SusanZ
Hahaha. i doubt. watch what's happening on Jost. Do you really think this government is going to reopen?

As far as tourism from the US, I really do not expect the BVI government to re-open, not even as < alluded> Sept. 1.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/23/2020 12:10 AM

Actually Jost would have a hard time surviving without US Tourism
Posted By: VirginGordaResident

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/23/2020 02:22 AM

Based upon how we just handled the case on SVG and the subsequent Jost quarantine, I give the Interline Regatta a 5% chance of occurring this year.

Cross your fingers for December 1st would be my best guess
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/23/2020 04:28 AM

The US won’t be allowed in until 2021 is my guess....We are just going to forge ahead with our plan to move our own boat to St. Thomas next year...and move there ourselves....

God knows what I’ll do with the two charters I have in place that I’ll have to keep moving.
Posted By: SusanZ

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/23/2020 07:14 AM

Not will have a hard time, is having a hard time surviving without it... It's just going to get tougher. Not being given any direct information about re-opening is stressful and scary for a lot of people. My point was more - if the current situation on JVD is how the government is dealing with one positive covid test... I just can't see how they possibly have any plans to open to visitors this year. just my opinion.... but i suspect it is what is coming. It's not policy, its a total guess. Maybe I will be wrong.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/23/2020 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by SusanZ
Not will have a hard time, is having a hard time surviving without it... It's just going to get tougher. Not being given any direct information about re-opening is stressful and scary for a lot of people. My point was more - if the current situation on JVD is how the government is dealing with one positive covid test... I just can't see how they possibly have any plans to open to visitors this year. just my opinion.... but i suspect it is what is coming. It's not policy, its a total guess. Maybe I will be wrong.

I agree, it's the unknown that is so frustrating. We are already getting cancellations for January.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/23/2020 04:36 PM

We need a plan..any plan.
Posted By: bailau

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/23/2020 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Manpot
We need a plan..any plan.

Agree...for the life of me I cant figure out the BVI government's silence on even presenting a strategy to open especially in light of most of the rest of the Caribbean presenting an opening plan even if they have to backtrack on it...

I dont see 2020 as happening for outsiders especially for those of us in the states.
Posted By: Latadjust

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/23/2020 07:02 PM

A month ago I was confident about next May.....

That confidence is waning, but I am still optimistic

Of course, I am optimistic by nature, so can't read too much into that!
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/23/2020 07:54 PM

We've conceded that November isn't going to happen. We are desperately praying that things return to "normal" by May '21. I just hope all of our friends on Anegada are able to survive without us for the time being.

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/28/2020 01:15 PM

News article
Posted By: Maggiesheridan315

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/28/2020 01:46 PM

Interesting that the article gives plenty of background on the regatta but no actual news on “how” it is going to happen this year from a logistics perspective...

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/28/2020 04:49 PM

It is almost comical...it's like the Moorings is trying to say "pay no attention to that COVID behind the curtain....the mighty charter company has spoken...."
I can't help but think it's an attempt to keep all their customers from calling and trying to cancel or move bookings that are coming up after the <cough cough> September 1 date....not that there will be a ton for September since it is the height of hurricane season...but there are certainly people who have things booked for late October/November. I am not even going to bother calling BVIYC about our upcoming November booking until an official announcement is made.
Posted By: toast

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/28/2020 09:17 PM

I see omar's cafe is for sale in the advertisements connected to this posting....
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/28/2020 10:00 PM

Omar's Cafe ..or Omar's Fusion. Hopefully he is just parting with the old coffee shop and keeping the former Scaramouche..

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/29/2020 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Manpot
Omar's Cafe ..or Omar's Fusion. Hopefully he is just parting with the old coffee shop and keeping the former Scaramouche..

It's the Cafe that's described in the listing.
Posted By: Fun in the sun

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/29/2020 02:10 PM

It is difficult to understand the lack of communication on the part of the BVI government, with both it's citizens and potential visitors. Maybe there is more communication than I see on the government website.

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/29/2020 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fun in the sun
It is difficult to understand the lack of communication on the part of the BVI government, with both it's citizens and potential visitors. Maybe there is more communication than I see on the government website.

Nope. You're seeing everything we're hearing locally. The govt. is pretty good about keeping the Gazette updated and publishing transcripts of announcements (at least on Facebook, not sure about their website).
Posted By: VirginGordaResident

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/31/2020 03:08 PM

"Limited Tourism could begin as soon as September." This is from Vincent Wheatley, a government official.

Interesting. I wonder what limited tourism means?
Posted By: sleepychef

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/31/2020 05:33 PM

perhaps its the peak of hurricane season and so tourisim is always limited and a good time to begin protocols with far fewer travellers.

Re: Interline Regatta - 07/31/2020 06:29 PM

“Limited tourism” likely translates into needing a negative COVID test within 72 hours of entry, particularly if coming from the US. Just a guess.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline