TravelTalkOnline

USVI Provisioning for BVIs

Posted By: dlatin

USVI Provisioning for BVIs - 08/26/2020 05:52 PM

We'll be renting out the STT for our next charter to the BVIs for the first time. Are there any issues if you provision in STT before heading to the BVIs? From the BVI tourism page i see you can bring up to 40 lbs of meat for consumption during your stay but there is note on import duties charged on food products ranging between 5% and 15%. See wording below.

Visitors coming from the North America with meat products for consumption during their stay will not have to fill out the application if they are bringing less than 40 lbs. of meat. BVI import duties charged on food products range between 5% and 15% of the invoice value.
Posted By: cyclingdoc

Re: USVI Provisioning for BVIs - 08/26/2020 05:55 PM

No issues with this. Provision away!

I’d worry more about the bvi being reopened by the time of your charter. When is it?

Re: USVI Provisioning for BVIs - 08/26/2020 06:05 PM

Next year, late July. I hope it is open, if not, we'll just stay in US waters.
Posted By: FLJim

Re: USVI Provisioning for BVIs - 08/26/2020 06:57 PM

Believe it or not, the only potential problem is when you return to USVI and US Customs asks whether you have any food, even if bought in USVI. Say "only ship's stores for consumption onboard" and usually you get a pass, but twice I've been told to take it immediately to the incinerator in Charlotte Amalie. We, of course, promised to do so, but somehow forgot to do it.
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: USVI Provisioning for BVIs - 08/26/2020 10:40 PM

Provisioning in STT at CostUless Pricesmart, Plaza Extra, Fruit Bowl, Pueblo,any or all will be good places with good prices -- Moes -Food Center are smaller and more expensive.
All provisions aboard will be classified as 'ship stores' when filling out the C&I forms and do not need to be enumerated. This includes alcohol and cigarettes.

Re: USVI Provisioning for BVIs - 08/27/2020 01:06 PM

Awesome all, thanks!
Posted By: ecm56

Re: USVI Provisioning for BVIs - 08/27/2020 03:54 PM

Moe's has a great selection with many specialty items that are hard to find at other stores (and impossible to find in the BVI).
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline