TravelTalkOnline

Moving charter yachts out of the BVI?

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/27/2020 05:13 PM

One of the comments on one of the newspaper stories said that they had been told by their charter company in the BVI that the charter company was moving all their yachts out of the BVI to the Bahamas? I'm thinking this is BS, but wondered if anyone has heard anything about such plans by yacht charter companies?
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/27/2020 05:16 PM

I have heard this as well, for crewed charter yachts. This from an undisclosed source who is very knowledgeable and to be trusted.
Posted By: Breeze

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/27/2020 05:19 PM

For crewed charter yachts and their owners, moving the yachts may be the only possible way to have a revenue stream.

What a great time to be an attorney in the BVI.
Posted By: WillM

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/27/2020 05:19 PM

can you say which company?

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/27/2020 05:28 PM

I can't state which company or companies are doing this. The Bahamas is a good choice for boats that are not US-Flagged, since those cannot be chartered out of the USVI.

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/27/2020 05:43 PM

Thanks, Zanshin. I understand your reluctance to state the source.
Posted By: kerry

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/27/2020 06:05 PM

I would hazard a guess at Dream Yacht Charters. But who the heck knows
Posted By: Andiamo

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/27/2020 06:23 PM

Why would they be legally bound to keep their boats in the BVI's? Just curious, but it would seem that they're all owned by individuals and then leased to the charter companies in some fashion. If I had a charter boat down there I'd want it moved as well. I'd think the USVI would likely benefit and become a bigger charter base for the future. There are a ton of boats in the BVI's, too many to just sit unused for the next year. After moving our Dec charter to the USVI I'm starting to think that's the way to go for the future, easy flight in for us and then if we want to sail between both countries we'd just need to clear customs and be off.

I just hope the charter companies can survive.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/27/2020 06:36 PM

It would be great to have more cats in the USVI - especially Lagoons.

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/27/2020 07:15 PM

Andiamo - only U.S. flagged vessels can be chartered out of U.S. waters. The majority of BVI-based charter boats have a different flag and thus cannot be chartered from the USVI.
Posted By: fromaway3774

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/27/2020 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Zanshin
Andiamo - only U.S. flagged vessels can be chartered out of U.S. waters. The majority of BVI-based charter boats have a different flag and thus cannot be chartered from the USVI.

I was wondering if I could use my credit with Sunsail by requesting them to deliver a boat to STT where we could board and do a USVI charter. Is that even possible under these rules?
Posted By: sisterblysse

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/27/2020 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by fromaway3774

I was wondering if I could use my credit with Sunsail by requesting them to deliver a boat to STT where we could board and do a USVI charter. Is that even possible under these rules?

I asked that of them today. Big fat no.
Posted By: bagsarepacked

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/27/2020 08:20 PM

The thought of this sickens me. If the boats pull out how many other business will sadly fail

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/27/2020 08:49 PM

It's a matter of survival. I wouldn't blame any business that pulled out of the BVI because they couldn't earn a living.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/27/2020 08:54 PM

The big crewed yachts bring high dollar spenders to the BVI who often combine the trips with shore stays.
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/27/2020 09:47 PM

This is not unlike Irma except there is no insurance coverage for the loss of income. The BVI govt is weighing the possible deaths a small number of people against the destruction of their economy. Its their country and their choice.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/27/2020 09:54 PM

Economic destruction also comes with increased death rates. Where to find the balance is the problem.
G

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/27/2020 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
Economic destruction also comes with increased death rates. Where to find the balance is the problem.
G

Yes, unemployment will lead to increased substance abuse, depression, lack of medical care, malnourishment, etc. The US economy is resilient and still functioning at a high level despite Covid. The BVI economy is two dimensional. Tourism is now dead and the the financial services are dying. Covid is not going away anytime soon. The BVI politicians have their heads in the sand once again. I feel terrible for the good people I have met over the years who are suffering without incomes.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/28/2020 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by NCSailor
Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
G

Yes, unemployment will lead to increased substance abuse, depression, lack of medical care, malnourishment, etc. The US economy is resilient and still functioning at a high level despite Covid. The BVI economy is two dimensional. Tourism is now dead and the the financial services are dying. Covid is not going away anytime soon. The BVI politicians have their heads in the sand once again. I feel terrible for the good people I have met over the years who are suffering without incomes.

They really don’t care they can fish and not have to work anymore. It’s a good thing for most.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/28/2020 04:05 PM

Maybe all the hundreds of cab drivers will return to farming and fishing? Nice idea...anyone wanna buy a cheap safari bus?
Posted By: ecm56

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/28/2020 07:42 PM

Not so soon Mal. I am sure that somehow the government will work out a way that the cruise ships can come to Tortola.
Posted By: BVIslander

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/28/2020 07:51 PM

Actually, the USVI is outside the purview of the Jones Act, which covers domestic shipping and passenger carriage in the US (but not the USVI). So non-US-flagged vessels may engage in commerce in the USVI. They still have to meet US Coast Guard rules and regs.
Posted By: captmoby

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/29/2020 11:04 PM

What I don't understand is that I don't see where the BVI people are stepping up and asking the government to come up with a better solution. Am I missing something?
Posted By: ecm56

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/29/2020 11:18 PM

BVI CCHA has been on the media for several days saying they have drafted plans and have been trying to meet with the government representatives but have had no luck. They say they have been trying for months.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/30/2020 07:56 PM

People complained about the NDP after Irma..cant imagine what they feel about the VIP now.

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/30/2020 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Manpot
People complained about the NDP after Irma..cant imagine what they feel about the VIP now.

Read the comments. There is no support.

https://bvinews.com/govts-travel-protocols-impractical-and-an-overkill/
Posted By: jphart

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/31/2020 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by BVIslander
Actually, the USVI is outside the purview of the Jones Act, which covers domestic shipping and passenger carriage in the US (but not the USVI). So non-US-flagged vessels may engage in commerce in the USVI. They still have to meet US Coast Guard rules and regs.

Jones Act regulates cargo. The Passenger Vessel Service Act of 1886 governs passenger cabotage.
See Wikipedia Wikipedia here

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/31/2020 06:20 PM

The USVI are a special and complicated case for charter boats. Bareboating I think that the flag doesn't matter, but chartered boats the crew cannot be US citizen but foreigners with the correct visas and that would be legal.
Posted By: Husker

Re: Moving charter yachts out of the BVI? - 10/31/2020 06:56 PM

The USVI are a special and complicated case for charter boats. Bareboating I think that the flag doesn't matter, but chartered boats the crew cannot be US citizen but foreigners with the correct visas and that would be legal.

@Zanshin - I think the opposite may be the case. US flagged boats with US crew are going to have an easier time in the USVIs. I think captain also has to have a US charter license....might be easier to get for 6 or fewer PAX. That's what I recall after checking into it a few years ago. The rules and regs might be different now.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline