TravelTalkOnline

Orion's Belt

Posted By: Latadjust

Orion's Belt - 01/02/2021 05:56 AM

My favorite place in the world to be at this time of year is generally in the BVI and specifically moored at Anegada, after a day of beach combing and bar socializing at Cow Wreck and a wonderful lobster dinner ashore before retiring to the cockpit to gaze in amazement at the incredible views of the stars and particularly Orion's Belt. Tonight, its clear here in California and I look up at Orion's Belt, lower in the sky by about 20 degrees than my favorite place, dreaming of the day we return.
Posted By: 706jim

Re: Orion's Belt - 01/02/2021 06:00 AM

Yes it's lovely to view Orion when it's warm.

Here in Canada there are never any problems with bugs when viewing this constellation.
Posted By: DanS

Re: Orion's Belt - 01/02/2021 05:42 PM

A buddy of mine took this shot while we were docked at the Bitter End. It's from 2003, but I don't believe the view has changed much since then. smile

Betelgeuse, at the left side, is a red giant star. I love that you can see it's a different color from the rest of the stars, even in a photo taken with an ordinary camera.

Dan cheers

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kneafseym

Re: Orion's Belt - 01/02/2021 06:18 PM

When overhead, the arrow (use your imagination and look at the photo) points due North.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Orion's Belt - 01/02/2021 06:58 PM

Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse...UH OH
Posted By: Time Will Tell

Re: Orion's Belt - 01/03/2021 03:31 PM

When I was doing the delivery for Time Will Tell I effectively had 2 night watches a day (sunset and middle of the night) and Orion was there the entire trip like an old friend - watching for the emergence of the Milky Way, shooting stars, and in the early watch satellites. It was great.

Here at home I see him rising up when I take an evening stroll - still the travel companion.

Thanks for bringing a fabulous memory to the fore!

Fair Winds!
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Orion's Belt - 01/04/2021 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by sail445
Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse...UH OH

Fantastic movie! Michael Keaton absolutely nailed that role.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline