TravelTalkOnline

Planning an April trip

Posted By: BlackSeal

Planning an April trip - 01/18/2021 03:28 PM

Hi All,

We have a trip planned for 4 couples to bareboat in late April. Unfortunately we can't do a 10+ day trip and therefore quarantining under the current protocols and being able to sail for a reasonable period won't work.

What do you folks think the chances are that the government will relax quarantine protocols by the third week in April.

Thanks for your help and stay safe.

Mark
Posted By: gordaguy2

Re: Planning an April trip - 01/18/2021 04:00 PM

A lot depends on whether the vaccines arrive at the end of Feb.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Planning an April trip - 01/18/2021 04:43 PM

I will be shocked if they relax them. Our house has sat vacant for ten months and it would be great to check on it, but I'm not optimistic.
Posted By: scottlyn

Re: Planning an April trip - 01/18/2021 04:43 PM

We also have a bareboat trip for late April, with quite a few people rotating in and out over 20 days. So we are watching this very closely. We are all praying that the vaccines arrive in February, because we really do not want to postpone our trip again.
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: Planning an April trip - 01/18/2021 06:11 PM

Scott - if you have people rotating in and out...won’t you need to do new tests for every group?

I have pondering this as well since my husband and I have back to back boats booked for June. We will be on a very nice 44 mono for the first week by ourselves - then we move to a cat for 10 days with (hopefully) four more people. I know we will have to quarantine with them but will we need to retest??
Posted By: scottlyn

Re: Planning an April trip - 01/22/2021 11:16 PM

Winterstale, Yes, we will have to do new tests for each group UNLESS they lighten the restrictions. Fingers crossed!!
Posted By: CaptainJay

Re: Planning an April trip - 01/23/2021 11:48 AM

If Biden's seven-day quarantine for reentry goes into effect this is going to add some additional complications.
https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...l-traveler-to-quarantine-upon-arrival-to
Posted By: sail445

Re: Planning an April trip - 01/23/2021 01:48 PM

It did say for international travelers entering the states. VI and PR being territories should be exempt. But who knows.
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: Planning an April trip - 01/23/2021 03:40 PM

USVI and PR are exempt.
Posted By: WillM

Re: Planning an April trip - 01/23/2021 04:45 PM

The last thing I want to be is negative - for sure - especially as an owner of a Charter PowerCat in the BVI - like, the BVI NEEDS to open, from a business stance!

But - let's think about this. IMHO - I think that the US would need to reach "heard immunity" level before other countries relax covid guidelines - same would go for non US citizens visiting the US.

When would that happen? Great Question

Vaccines are a cluster in the US. I personally don't think this will be completed until maybe Q4 of 2021 - maybe - and this needs to a "global" accomplishment before you see restrictions at the borders start to diminish.

With all that context - I don't think the restrictions will diminish any time soon in the BVIs

We are going down to BVIs arriving on 2/11, departing on 2/22. It's just my family that will be going.

But - let's think about this from a cup half full stance. You have to 4 day quarantine upon arrival, which can be done in 12 different areas of the BVIs. You can't go ashore, stay close to the boat. But - you are in the BVIs, with a beverage of your choice, books, games and the opportunity to ask family/friends - how are they doing and be able to actually talk about it. Let's be real. That doesn't suck.

Then on day 4 with negative test - make the most out of it! Even if you need to leave on day 7 guess what? Your day 4 test checks the box to get back into the US.

Again - I really need the BVI's to get back to where folks can do a 1 week charter/vacation and it make sense logistically. Big time!

But, reality is reality.

just my .02 on sale today for .01

Will
Posted By: Husker

Re: Planning an April trip - 01/24/2021 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by WillM

Then on day 4 with negative test - make the most out of it! Even if you need to leave on day 7 guess what? Your day 4 test checks the box to get back into the US.

Again - I really need the BVI's to get back to where folks can do a 1 week charter/vacation and it make sense logistically. Big time!

WillM - Excellent point! Something in the plus column for the 7-day trip.
Posted By: BlackSeal

Re: Planning an April trip - 01/26/2021 05:24 PM

Thank you all for your input. We've postponed the trip until the third week of June. Hoping everyone stays safe.

Cheers,
Mark
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Planning an April trip - 01/27/2021 03:56 PM

We moved our trip to the USVI’s. We are more concerned about someone in our group of 8, getting a false positive. They happen too often. If that happens we would all have to quarantine for 14 days. Just not a risk we wanted to take. Our trip is mid April.

If by some miracle, the restrictions lighten, we could possibly go to the BVI’s on the boat. But we are not counting on this happening.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline