TravelTalkOnline

Nick Willis

Posted By: tradewinds

Nick Willis - 01/27/2021 04:58 PM

Nick Willis passed away yesterday after a brief battle with cancer. Godspeed, my friend.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Nick Willis - 01/27/2021 05:10 PM

Wow, our condolences to Monica and their friends and family.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Nick Willis - 01/27/2021 05:21 PM

No words..just farewelll to a gentle, funloving, kind and generous human being. What great memories from " The Duck N Dive" to "Foxy's". All love to Monica.
Posted By: DaveZ

Re: Nick Willis - 01/27/2021 05:32 PM

Very sad to hear that. Nick always had a kind word and treated us well whenever we landed at Leverick. RIP.
Posted By: RickinAtlanta

Re: Nick Willis - 01/27/2021 05:43 PM

Very sorry to hear of Nick's passing! Always was kind and welcoming to Belinda and I. I hope he took his favorite drink glass with him to heaven. Our condolences and love to you Monzie!
Posted By: salica

Re: Nick Willis - 01/27/2021 05:50 PM

We are raising a glass to Nick at 8pm this evening wherever in the world you are. Join us in celebrating his life and the wonderful friendships he made.
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Nick Willis - 01/27/2021 06:05 PM

How very sad - I have so many memories of great times with Nick and Monika and only 2 pictures (that I can show)

Attached picture Nick.jpg
Attached picture Nick-2.jpg
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Nick Willis - 01/27/2021 06:27 PM

Terrible news to hear. I always hoped he would come back to Leverick!
G
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: Nick Willis - 01/27/2021 06:34 PM

Can't believe it. Such awful news. So many great times with Nick and Monica. So sorry Monica.
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: Nick Willis - 01/27/2021 06:35 PM

Would be lovely to do a memorial for him there at some point when we can all get down....
Posted By: Breeze

Re: Nick Willis - 01/27/2021 06:40 PM

What a bloody waste of a damn fine retirement ! On the wings of the wind, Nick, may the Universe show you a rockin' good time in all your next adventures. Monica, I'm sorry as i can be, but we don't get to refuse the last call. I hope you give us a few words now and then just so we know how you're getting along.
Posted By: Will_L

Re: Nick Willis - 01/27/2021 07:43 PM

Sad news in a year with lots of sadness. We missed Nick and Monica as well. Godspeed.
Posted By: LauraTheTshirtGal

Re: Nick Willis - 01/27/2021 08:26 PM

such a beautiful human being, will be greatly missed
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Nick Willis - 01/27/2021 08:52 PM

Nick was always so kind opening his arms and home to so many. He will be deeply missed
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Nick Willis - 01/27/2021 09:05 PM

We are sad to learn of Nick's passing. We send our condolences to Monica and their friends.

Calvin & Pam
Posted By: Dirichlet

Re: Nick Willis - 01/27/2021 09:57 PM

I haven't been on here in years, but I must pay my respect here to Nick.
When we first met he knew me from nowhere but TTOL, yet welcomed me into his home as if I was a family member that he hadn't seen in a few years.
The love, kindness, and humor of that man will be missed by all that knew him, and are a loss for all who didn't.

.... until we meet again, old friend.
Posted By: DanS

Re: Nick Willis - 01/27/2021 10:22 PM

I am shocked and saddened. I met Nick only one time, for about 10 seconds, on the dock at Leverick. Even that brief encounter left me with a fun memory.

Dan
Posted By: Cleobeach

Re: Nick Willis - 01/28/2021 12:43 AM

We had the pleasure of meeting Nick several times over the years when we rented houses in Mahoe. Nick always took care of our Leverick reservations and would swing by to check in on us and say hello at the Jumbie, MB’s shows and when dining upstairs. I feel like I “know” him from reading this forum for years.
Posted By: 706jim

Re: Nick Willis - 01/28/2021 02:15 AM

Got to meet him about ten years ago at Leverick. A fine fellow who will be missed by many.
Posted By: bagsarepacked

Re: Nick Willis - 01/28/2021 02:11 PM

Very sad to hear of his passing. I had the pleasure of staying at Leverick for a week on a land based trip. He was so kind and helpful. Always enjoyed our overnights there while on charter and saying hello and having a some laughs. Heaven gained a good soul that will be missed by many here.
Posted By: lindakay

Re: Nick Willis - 01/28/2021 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Winterstale
Would be lovely to do a memorial for him there at some point when we can all get down....

Totally agree, Bridget.

Re: Nick Willis - 01/28/2021 05:37 PM

If there was ever a reason to revive the TTOL Flotilla? This would be it......
Posted By: marisol

Re: Nick Willis - 01/28/2021 06:41 PM

This is such sad news. I had been hoping that Nick would return to Leverick Bay at some point. He did a fabulous job making the resort such a success. He was always such a welcoming presence there and always so kind to my kids! A great loss for his family.

Re: Nick Willis - 01/28/2021 07:14 PM

I cant help but imagine Saildoggie greeting Nick at the Pearly Gates..now that would be something to behold!
Cant stop thinking about dear Nick and just how amazingly kind and generous he was to friends and strangers alike. I am hoping Richard Branson who was very close to Nick is reaching out to Monica.Love the idea of a celebration for Nick at Leverick but I dont think we could all fit in the red phone box at the end of the dock!
Posted By: RickinAtlanta

Re: Nick Willis - 01/28/2021 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Manpot
I cant help but imagine Saildoggie greeting Nick at the Pearly Gates..now that would be something to behold!
Cant stop thinking about dear Nick and just how amazingly kind and generous he was to friends and strangers alike. I am hoping Richard Branson who was very close to Nick is reaching out to Monica.Love the idea of a celebration for Nick at Leverick but I dont think we could all fit in the red phone box at the end of the dock!

We could damn sure try! smile
Posted By: DavidS

Re: Nick Willis - 01/29/2021 01:33 AM

Spot on, we only met Nick & Monica once while spending a few days in a slip at Leverick a dozen years ago and he made us feel beyond welcome.
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Nick Willis - 01/29/2021 02:33 AM

Sad to hear - my thoughts and condolences to family and all his friends everywhere. As a Caribbean resident for many decades I always respected his honest helpful attitude - he took care of sailors! A stalwart of the Caribbean host community.
Posted By: Swifty

Re: Nick Willis - 01/29/2021 05:02 PM

I took this photo last night in memory of Nick. He certainly made Leverick a special place for so many.

Attached picture IMG_5470.jpg

Re: Nick Willis - 01/29/2021 05:04 PM

Mal - a celebration at Leverick would be amazing.
Sir Richard was on CBS yesterday morning - live from Leverick - talking about the hyperloop. I believe Bruce reached out to Gumption when we found out Nick was so sick to let Richard know - I am sure someone has given him the news by now.

Anybody for a dinghy poker run in his honor??? June 2022 might be realistic??? Better later than never???

Re: Nick Willis - 01/29/2021 10:06 PM

I'm in..
Posted By: DanS

Re: Nick Willis - 01/29/2021 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Swifty
I took this photo last night in memory of Nick. He certainly made Leverick a special place for so many.

Very fitting, and a helluva good photo.

Dan
Posted By: NoelHall

Re: Nick Willis - 01/29/2021 10:30 PM

I suspect a good way to memorialize Nick is to conduct ourselves like Nick. Big smile and great attitude. Rest in peace my friend.
Posted By: JCnNC

Re: Nick Willis - 01/29/2021 11:04 PM

I have not logged in for many moons but had to jump in here. I did not know Nick well like many of you did. He was always such a pleasure to interact with, and I have to imagine that Nick touched so many people in positive ways that left a smile on their faces. Rest in peace, Nick, and condolences to his family and loved ones.
Posted By: jphart

Re: Nick Willis - 01/30/2021 02:46 PM

Nick helped my crew and me several times with great overnight visits at Leverick.
At my last stay, he came down to the dock to specifically see us away in the morning. A great guy and he will be missed.

I don’t know if it was his idea, but I always thought it was great marketing to give away a free bag of ice with a stay for us TTOL folks. A $3.00 bag of ice for free usually resulted in a couple of hundred dollars of spend.

Godspeed Nick!
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Nick Willis - 01/30/2021 03:09 PM

He also kept his dock rates very reasonable which resulted in full docks and lots of shore spending.
G

Re: Nick Willis - 01/30/2021 03:37 PM

Let's face it....Nick and Monica were the ENTIRE reason we all loved Leverick Bay.....God knows it wasn't the onshore showers.....
Posted By: ScottW

Re: Nick Willis - 01/30/2021 04:28 PM

And for us land based vacationers, Nick offered a TTOL discount for villas in Mahoe. One email and he took care of everything. Villa, car, grocery delivery, jumbies reservations.

Scott
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Nick Willis - 01/30/2021 04:55 PM

I have to admit that the main reason for me to dock and stay at Leverick was the hospitality of Nick (and Monika). The place changed once they left and I cannot think of a better host than Nick. I will miss him sorely!

Re: Nick Willis - 01/30/2021 08:45 PM

I have heard from several friends of Nick's and we all seem to find it hard that this jovial force of nature has gone. The world would be a much better place with many more Nick and Monicas..
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Nick Willis - 01/30/2021 09:32 PM

Sad to hear about Nick.
Posted By: BEERMAN

Re: Nick Willis - 01/30/2021 10:45 PM

Terrible news. He was a good generous man, RIP. Our hearts go out to Monika.
Posted By: TomGarvey

Re: Nick Willis - 01/30/2021 10:57 PM

I'm looking forward to a great party in remembrance of Nick. Let's plan to fly Monica in for it.
Here's a pic of Nick at the 2010 (I think) Cat Fight party, doing what he was an expert at: bringing laughter and joy to whomever he was with.

Attached picture Nick Cat Fight party.jpg
Posted By: Pvgreg

Re: Nick Willis - 02/01/2021 05:34 AM

I have not been on TTOL in sometime and am so sad to read about Nick’s passing. He was loved by so many because he was a man that truly cared about others. I moored at Leverick for my 50th Birthday in early November 2013 and celebrated with the most amazing meal at the restaurant all thanks to Nick. They were reopening for the season the week following our arrival in the Sound. So I contacted Nick prior to our departure to the BVI and he was so gracious to offer and arrange to open for my Birthday and arranged a custom menu with me just for my dinner. I will forever remember that night and a great and kind man named Nick Willis.
Posted By: Warlock

Re: Nick Willis - 02/01/2021 02:41 PM

Nick was a gentleman who never met a stranger...Rest in Peace Nick the world is a little kinder and better place because of you.
Posted By: BEERMAN

Re: Nick Willis - 02/03/2021 01:19 AM

I've been searching through pics trying to find one that really shows Nick as we remember (just told my daughter). I have posed pics at the dock, Leverick bar and Duck and Dive, but this night at CocoMaya was a great time! I can hear his voice while photobombing the girls. Damn nice guy. You'll be remembered and missed.

Attached picture Nick.JPG
Posted By: UncleLuff

Re: Nick Willis - 02/11/2021 01:45 PM

Sorry to hear about Nick's passing. I didn't know him well but had the opportunity to meet him and Monica a couple of times at the Friday night BBQ. Deepest condolences to Monica and family. Will toast his life and memory next time we pass through Leverick Bay.
Posted By: msdj69

Re: Nick Willis - 03/21/2021 11:33 PM

I was just checking out some personal pictures when I ran across some old pics of Leverick Bay. Nick came to mind immediately. My heart is still heavy over the loss. He had a beautiful child-like spirit that simply cannot be replaced. I’m looking forward to an open and vibrant BVI in the future but it won’t be the same without Nick.

Re: Nick Willis - 03/22/2021 01:06 AM

No....it won’t.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Nick Willis - 03/23/2021 02:43 PM

I know we will miss him the next time we go back. How old was Nick?
Posted By: Refuse1

Re: Nick Willis - 03/23/2021 07:13 PM

I just caught this. I've been guilty of not keeping up with TTL often enough, and usually just lurk. (sorry) I had the good fortune to meet and visit with Nick several times over the last decade or so and I am saddened and stunned to hear of his passing. Fair winds and following seas to Nick and Family.
Posted By: uncleclew

Re: Nick Willis - 03/23/2021 11:15 PM

Condolences indeed. All the best joints, especially the ones that aren't too fancy, have a guy or gal who makes the magic happen. We'll always have Leverick, at least in our memories. Thanks to Nick and Monica. That's more than most of us can hope to leave on this earth.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline