TravelTalkOnline

What if you develop Covid in the BVI?

Posted By: Nibj

What if you develop Covid in the BVI? - 02/15/2021 02:27 AM

Depending on our vaccination status, we are planning a bareboat charter in June. One worry: what happens if we develop Covid in the BVI (say due to exposure on the trip down)? We live in the US and so would have to wait for a considerable time in a Covid hotel before getting a clear report to return I presume (assuming we get better). Is that right?

How good is the hospital in the BVI? Just another worry..... Sorry if this sounds alarmist.

Thanks for helpful comments!
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: What if you develop Covid in the BVI? - 02/15/2021 11:02 AM

If you do manage to get vaccinated prior to the trip the likelihood of getting covid is far less than many other illnesses. The BVI is requiring insurance and my understanding is that will cover the cost of a Quarantine. I am sure the locals can chime in but my understanding is quarantine will be at a hotel not the hospital. It looks like from the Israel that hospitalization for covid after being fully vaccinated drops dramatically.
Posted By: sleepychef

Re: What if you develop Covid in the BVI? - 02/15/2021 11:19 AM

If you return a positive test while in the BVI the insurance is for Hotel accommodation if you need to be hosptilised the insurance is to get you flown home.
Posted By: bailau

Re: What if you develop Covid in the BVI? - 02/15/2021 11:48 AM

The hospital (Peebles) is really good. I had to take a crew member there 2 years ago and the medical staff there was top notch and saved his life. You are not going to get all the frills of a US hospital. The main issue IMHO would be if there would be too many cases and the hospital couldn't handle them

we head out in June as well
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: What if you develop Covid in the BVI? - 02/15/2021 03:44 PM

Not to downplay the concern, but with all the incoming testing and if the endemic prevalence stays low, it's probably a pretty small risk.
Posted By: VirginGordaResident

Re: What if you develop Covid in the BVI? - 02/15/2021 05:02 PM

To answer your question - if you do test positive while in the BVI (on Day 0, Day 4 or exit test) it is a mandatory minimum 14 day quarantine in your accommodations. Then you need to have a negative PCR test to be released.

In some cases where the accommodation has been booked by someone else during those 14 days, alternative arrangements have been made. Moved from a villa to boat, or into a hotel, etc.
Posted By: mbarnett

Re: What if you develop Covid in the BVI? - 02/15/2021 06:33 PM

What if it is a false positive? And do I buy insurance state side or required to buy BVI insurance?
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: What if you develop Covid in the BVI? - 02/15/2021 08:55 PM

If you develop COVID while in the BVI's and need hospitalization, things will be bleak at best. A Medical Evacuation service by ambulance jet, immediately, to Miami MAY save your life. Otherwise the medical facilities in the BVI's are very limited at best.

A friend of ours in French St. Martin, which has better French medical facilities than the BVI's, died after being medevaced to Miami with COVID. The BVI's are not able to deal with COVID emergencies with their limited resources, unfortunately.
Posted By: Will_L

Re: What if you develop Covid in the BVI? - 02/15/2021 09:35 PM

What Steve and Marie said. Being treated for severe Covid is a not something you want to undergo in the BVI. It’s not a matter of frills..it takes expertise and experience in multi organ effects of the disease and very good pulmonary disease care givers. Putting and maintaining someone on a ventilator is not something that will go well without knowledgeable and experienced personnel throughout the process. It’s amazing how much better hospitals that have unfortunately had a ton of Covid cases are in treating then now compared to last spring. Unfortunately there is no substitute for state of the art care in a first world medical facility experienced in your condition when you are seriously in need.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: What if you develop Covid in the BVI? - 02/16/2021 02:29 AM

The OP implied in his post they would only be going if vaccinated. The likelihood of getting covid that would require hospitalization is virtually nil if vaccinated.
Posted By: Nibj

Re: What if you develop Covid in the BVI? - 02/16/2021 02:40 AM

Thanks for all the useful comments. We will obviously have to study the required insurance carefully. And yes: vaccination is a necessary condition (before May) for us to go.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline