TravelTalkOnline

99 Steps Hike - Virgin Gorda

Posted By: VirginGordaResident

99 Steps Hike - Virgin Gorda - 06/09/2021 12:54 PM

What's up everybody! For those of you who are unaware, I wanted to let everyone know about a new hike on Virgin Gorda.

Called the "99 Steps" Hike for a set of concrete steps at the beginning of the trail, 99 Steps is an easy to moderate, 45 minute each way, out and back trail. Starting from Long Bay Beach, the trail winds you through the natural features of Virgin Gorda and takes you all the way out to a stunning finish at Mountain Point. Large boulders, flowering frangipanis, air plants and cactus can all be discovered along the way!

To find the trail, head to the Long Bay Beach located off the Nail Bay road, about halfway between SugarCane and Hog Heaven. Then, park in the car park, walk out to the beach, take a right and walk as far as you can until the beach ends, and then you will find the trailhead off to your right.

Although the trail is moderate, I would definitely recommend sunscreen and water.

Made a quick video of the trail here, check it out!

99 Steps Hike - Virgin Gorda
Posted By: bailau

Re: 99 Steps Hike - Virgin Gorda - 06/09/2021 01:06 PM

Thanks...by any chance do you know if the trail to the top of the peak is open? There used to be a wooden stand there that was taken down by Irma.

what other good hikes are in the BVIs? I have some hikers in the crew this year
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: 99 Steps Hike - Virgin Gorda - 06/09/2021 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by bailau
Thanks...by any chance do you know if the trail to the top of the peak is open? There used to be a wooden stand there that was taken down by Irma.

what other good hikes are in the BVIs? I have some hikers in the crew this year

Yes it is. There was a reopening ceremony recently.

EDIT - it appears to still be closed

Re: 99 Steps Hike - Virgin Gorda - 06/09/2021 01:27 PM

Gorda Peak??? Must've missed that. Did they rebuild the lookout tower too?

Other hikes:

Bubbly Pool on Jost (not really that much of a 'hike' more like a walk)
Salt Island - Awesome hike. Easy with gorgeous views. Anchor off the main beach and then head around the right of the Salt Pond
Normal Island - Another awesome hike which starts behind Pirates Bight
Fallen Jerusalem - Not a trail. Closer to bouldering than hiking so only for the adventurous. But SUPER fun.
Scrub Island - has a hike out to Little Scrub

Then there are several on Tortola who others can speak to more knowledgably.

Re: 99 Steps Hike - Virgin Gorda - 06/09/2021 01:37 PM

The Bat Cave hike of Tortola is pretty nice.

I'll try to find the link for the Gorda Peak reopening.

Re: 99 Steps Hike - Virgin Gorda - 06/09/2021 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by VirginGordaResident
Gorda Peak??? Must've missed that. Did they rebuild the lookout tower too?

I must be confusing it with this release about the reopening of the lookouts at Little Bay, Mahoe Bay, and Soldier Bay.

Please ignore my post about Gorda Peak!
Posted By: gordaguy2

Re: 99 Steps Hike - Virgin Gorda - 06/09/2021 01:52 PM

Great Video - thanks for posting

Re: 99 Steps Hike - Virgin Gorda - 06/09/2021 05:21 PM

thank you all for the great list...

Re: 99 Steps Hike - Virgin Gorda - 06/09/2021 06:24 PM

Lol I'll confirm this for everyone but pretty sure the Gorda Peak hike is still "closed". There is just a little chain so you could definitely hop that and hike up. And it is a nice, 20-minute hike up but unfortunately without the tower at the top there is not much of a pay off view

Re: 99 Steps Hike - Virgin Gorda - 06/09/2021 06:50 PM

It says closed on line

didnt know about scrub or norman
Posted By: Aries4

Re: 99 Steps Hike - Virgin Gorda - 06/09/2021 09:04 PM

Where exactly is the trailhead for the Bat Cave? Once I tried finding it using directions I was given. Take the road up out of the north end of Brewers, then it's allegedly there on the left at the first hairpin turn you reach. There was a driveway looking dirt road that I went down and passed a few houses but couldn't find anything. This was before Irma and I was told there was a small green staircase on the right when you find it. But that may not be there anymore as far as I know. Just asking in advance of a future (soon!) trip! Thanks!

Re: 99 Steps Hike - Virgin Gorda - 06/09/2021 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Aries4
Where exactly is the trailhead for the Bat Cave?

I think you actually turn left at the switchback to the right and follow that road along until it ends or very close to the end. There are 2 entrances. The first one is a set of wooden green stairs right along the road.

For avid hikers, this book is a great book to pack and has pretty good directions.

You can order the download version here.
Posted By: DanS

Re: 99 Steps Hike - Virgin Gorda - 06/10/2021 02:13 AM

Thanks for the cool video, and to everyone for the great info!

What is Little Scrub?

Dan cheers
Posted By: Ptarmigan

Re: 99 Steps Hike - Virgin Gorda - 04/27/2023 08:50 PM

Just confirming the 99 Steps Trail is in good condition (April 2023) with the vegetation cleared. We took a couple hours including photo stops and exploring the beach on the Saddle Bay side of Mountain Point. Shade is minimal.

For what it's worth I counted 112 steps/stairs but "99" is a more concise name for the trail.
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: 99 Steps Hike - Virgin Gorda - 04/27/2023 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Just confirming the 99 Steps Trail is in good condition (April 2023) with the vegetation cleared. We took a couple hours including photo stops and exploring the beach on the Saddle Bay side of Mountain Point. Shade is minimal.

For what it's worth I counted 112 steps/stairs but "99" is a more concise name for the trail.

Did we meet you at BEYC breakfast? Thanks for your work on the trail!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline