TravelTalkOnline

On Boat!

Posted By: GeorgeC1

On Boat! - 06/19/2021 10:39 AM

Just woke up and sitting on the boat in Roadtown! Great to be back. We took American from CLT to STT. Flight arrived early and Stanley from Love Cab had us to the ferry dock by noon. Went to Hook, Line, and sinker for lunch. Server unenthusiastic but food was good other than a 2” chunk of fried safety wire in the French fries. Staff could care less. The 2pm ferry is actually at 2:30. The government gave them a 2PM slot but they plan 2:30 to catch more people. We actually left about 2:50. The Roadtown Fast Ferry had no AC so waiting at the dock not fun. Boat had about 60 people on board. The clearing process in Roadtown was a non event. Get your temp checked, fill out a short form with your entry approval number and present it with vaccine cards at covid desk and off to customs. No complaints at all on the process. Fast and efficient by island standards.
Boat looks good and check in with the Moorings was easy. Riteway arrived about a hour late. A few items missing from the order but they did not charge us for them so no issues. Boat briefing in 20 minutes. Will add more as we go.
G
Posted By: Manpot

Re: On Boat! - 06/19/2021 11:57 AM

The Elm on Sunday George??
Posted By: RickG

Re: On Boat! - 06/19/2021 01:03 PM

Hook, Line, and Sinker has gone way down hill. Petit Pump Room or French Quarter Bistro are better options. Have fun!

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: bailau

Re: On Boat! - 06/19/2021 02:42 PM

congrats buddy...we are up at Anegada now.

lots of balls waiting for you...
Posted By: ecm56

Re: On Boat! - 06/19/2021 02:51 PM

Sorry to hear that about Hook, Line and Sinker.
Posted By: maytrix

Re: On Boat! - 06/19/2021 06:56 PM

Have a great trip! We're looking forward to our trip late July. Just waiting on my sons passport!
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: On Boat! - 06/19/2021 08:28 PM

Hey Bailau - we see you up there close to the dinghy dock smile. Had a fantastic ball and came back from adventuring today to find a big cat with a cheater just about sitting right on top of us. Like he didn’t have tons of other balls to choose from. Ughhhhh.

Re: On Boat! - 06/19/2021 08:31 PM

sorry to hear...which boat are you?

Once again we find ourselves the only powercat in a field of sailors...

Re: On Boat! - 06/19/2021 08:37 PM

We are on Moon Dance - L40 directly behind you. The Voyage cat is the one right on our bow. Figured you might be the only PC in the field 😎 Trying to decide whether or not to relocate......

Re: On Boat! - 06/19/2021 08:45 PM

ok...not hard to find the Griswold boat (us)

Any Moorings boat in Anegada have an extra pair of medium fins?

Re: On Boat! - 06/19/2021 09:09 PM

I would love to do the ELM on Sunday but not sure I can make that work with the 4 day test we have to get done. Will look at it. Will be back 5 to 12 July.
G

Re: On Boat! - 06/19/2021 09:14 PM

We are at Cooper Island tonight. The place is packed and happy hour was busy. A few balls still left however. Wishing for a bit of sun but still having fun. Dove the WillyT earlier. Nice dive but visibility was terrible. Not sure about tomorrow. We have a rookie onboard we need to get to the baths but forecast is not promising. Should get better on Monday.
G

Re: On Boat! - 06/20/2021 06:59 PM

Really nice day today despite the bad forecast. Wind down to about 15 knots. Headed to the dogs from Cooper to dive and snorkle. 3 of the 6 balls at Great Dog missing. Nice dive at Bronco Billy and better vis. Heading to Norman now and dinner on the WillyT. Great harbor on Peter has 10 boats there at 3 pm. Loving the M5000. They really nailed the design!
G
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: On Boat! - 06/20/2021 10:20 PM

The ferries are all scheduled for 2:30 in June

Re: On Boat! - 06/20/2021 10:42 PM

At the bight for the night. Snorkeling at the caves was excellent with great vis. Will dive angelfish reef in the morning and lunch at Soggy dollar. Really miss that Roti! 50 boats in the bight tonight. Had a great dinner at the WillyT. It was packed and the locals start arriving soon after a race in the N sound.
G

Re: On Boat! - 06/21/2021 07:19 PM

Snorkeled the Indians this morning. Great fish life with decent visibility. 4 or 5 balls appear to be missing but only a few boats there. Sailed over to JVD for lunch at Soggy. Roti as good as ever! About a dozen boats in White Bay. Not having the day tripper boats from the USVI transforms the place. Probably go to great harbor for the evening as we have a 8 am covid test for the granddaughter.
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: On Boat! - 06/21/2021 10:37 PM

Glad to hear that you are finally able to enjoy your boat!

Re: On Boat! - 06/21/2021 11:03 PM

Great George...hope we cross somewhere out here...lots of boats heading to Anegada as we were heading down and Ann said it was her best Sunday yet...

Re: On Boat! - 06/22/2021 12:11 AM

Will probably do Guana tomorrow and then Anegada Wednesday. North Sound on Thursday. Maybe Oilnut bay.
G

Re: On Boat! - 06/22/2021 12:16 AM

we may see you at Monkey Point. At Scrub will do Diamond reef then Monkey Point

Re: On Boat! - 06/22/2021 12:18 AM

We will probably get there in the afternoon.
Posted By: steve74

Re: On Boat! - 06/22/2021 01:35 AM

We watched a boat go down today on the reef by the airport. It was a large sailing catamaran, and as we approach from Guana, the mast went down and the boat rolled over. We called VISAR and they confirmed that the crew was safe, but it was such a sad situation!

We were headed to Oil Nut Bay, but when we got there it was too rough for the night. We turned around and ended up in Leverick. We had dinner upstairs and it was fantastic. I can’t get the sight of that boat and the nightmare that crew went through out of my head!

Re: On Boat! - 06/22/2021 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by steve74
We watched a boat go down today on the reef by the airport. It was a large sailing catamaran, and as we approach from Guana, the mast went down and the boat rolled over. We called VISAR and they confirmed that the crew was safe, but it was such a sad situation!

We were headed to Oil Nut Bay, but when we got there it was too rough for the night. We turned around and ended up in Leverick. We had dinner upstairs and it was fantastic. I can’t get the sight of that boat and the nightmare that crew went through out of my head!

Here is a video of it sinking. Heartbreaking...

Re: On Boat! - 06/22/2021 04:48 PM

That is terribly sad. Any idea if it was private or charter?
Posted By: LauraTheTshirtGal

Re: On Boat! - 06/22/2021 04:50 PM

yikes, how horrible glad all are safe...how did it roll over from that point in the video?

Re: On Boat! - 06/22/2021 04:56 PM

I am not sure it ever rolled over. For sure both engine rooms are flooded. Might have hit the reef fast enough to rip both rudders out.
G

Re: On Boat! - 06/22/2021 05:00 PM

Oh my!!!

Re: On Boat! - 06/22/2021 05:04 PM

Isnt that area redlined?

Re: On Boat! - 06/22/2021 05:14 PM

It is for TMM.

Re: On Boat! - 06/22/2021 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by MIDiver
That is terribly sad. Any idea if it was private or charter?

Looks like a Navigare charter vessel.

Re: On Boat! - 06/22/2021 06:21 PM

That area is redlined for all charter companies as far as I know. This is a demonstration of why. You could go through there 5 times without a issue. This would be the sixth!
G

Re: On Boat! - 06/22/2021 06:30 PM

are you at Monkey Point George?

Re: On Boat! - 06/22/2021 06:50 PM

Still at Cane Garden Bay, leaving in 5 minutes. Might pass you!
G

Re: On Boat! - 06/22/2021 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by lauraandrex
yikes, how horrible glad all are safe...how did it roll over from that point in the video?

Looks like the port side filled more and pulled it farther under. More pics here

Re: On Boat! - 06/22/2021 08:45 PM

sad...glad they are safe.
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: On Boat! - 06/22/2021 09:14 PM

I don't have facebook so can't see that video. Was it the reef that is marked by one of the 2 cardinal marks that the BVI has in place? How the $#$@#$ can you miss something that obvious?

Re: On Boat! - 06/23/2021 12:07 AM

Yes...and it is marked clearly...

https://www.284media.com/local/2021...k-are-safe-vessel-struck-submerged-reef/

Navigare Charter

Re: On Boat! - 06/23/2021 12:51 PM

Spent the night at Marina Key. The balls appear in reasonable shape but did not appear to be maintained. Wind stayed in the 18 to 20 knot range. Watched several grossly over canvased boats trying to sail upwind. Reefing is based on apparent wind. The boat will sail much better reefed and the rig will appreciate it. Takes a extra 2 or 3 minutes to put a reef in hoisting the main. I also saw the interesting technique of rolling out the jib and then trying to hoist the main. Not sure how much life was left in the jib after they finished!
We are at the baths now. 3 boats here at 8:45. Seems like 25 years ago! I am guessing half the balls are missing. In general all the day use balls appear to be in terrible condition and no one servicing them. Oil nut bay is the plan for the night.
Posted By: VirginGordaResident

Re: On Boat! - 06/23/2021 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
Spent the night at Marina Key. The balls appear in reasonable shape but did not appear to be maintained. Wind stayed in the 18 to 20 knot range. Watched several grossly over canvased boats trying to sail upwind. Reefing is based on apparent wind. The boat will sail much better reefed and the rig will appreciate it. Takes a extra 2 or 3 minutes to put a reef in hoisting the main. I also saw the interesting technique of rolling out the jib and then trying to hoist the main. Not sure how much life was left in the jib after they finished!
We are at the baths now. 3 boats here at 8:45. Seems like 25 years ago! I am guessing half the balls are missing. In general all the day use balls appear to be in terrible condition and no one servicing them. Oil nut bay is the plan for the night.

Let me know if I can help you out with anything regarding Oil Nut Bay George!

Re: On Boat! - 06/23/2021 06:08 PM

We are sitting on the dock at Oil nut now. Heading over to the main resort in a bit. As mentioned before current special is 2 dollars a foot plus 50 for 50 amp electrical. Dock people extremely helpful and assured me the food at the beach club is outstanding!

Re: On Boat! - 06/23/2021 06:27 PM

We are sitting on the dock at Oil nut now. Heading over to the main resort in a bit. As mentioned before current special is 2 dollars a foot plus 50 for 50 amp electrical. Dock people extremely helpful and assured me the food at the beach club is outstanding!

It looks beautiful from the water. Anxious to hear how you like it!

Re: On Boat! - 06/23/2021 10:41 PM

I am not sure it ever rolled over. For sure both engine rooms are flooded. Might have hit the reef fast enough to rip both rudders out.
G

Spoke to them today at SDB...apparently they were trying to avoid traffic and went to far West and port pontoon hit reef hard. Sails were down. They said it was like hitting a wall. One girl sprained ankle and another girl cut her achilles slightly and is in boot. They were able to get some stuff out and then after raised at Nanny Cay were able to go back in and get most stuff which was dry. They are celebrating a bday and continuing by land.

They said Navigare has been great and it was 2nd boat to hit reef this month

Lots of new captains out now...we have seen more sketchy boating than normal.

My takeaway is know where the channel is here...relatively new bareboat captain

Bought them painkillers...

Re: On Boat! - 06/23/2021 11:04 PM

That was nice of you! We saw her walk by in the boot when we were at Ivan’s. Second the sketchy behavior out here. As an owner with a boat in charter, makes me a bit sick to my stomach........

Nice having you as a neighbor tonight smile

Re: On Boat! - 06/23/2021 11:58 PM

Oil Nut Bay was great. Daughter and Granddaughter are still at the pool watching the movie. The service was simply outstanding. Every employee we encountered was helpful. The Pizza was great as well. We are off to Anegada in the morning.
On the boat accident I am curious where this actually occurred. Anyone have the exact location?
G

Re: On Boat! - 06/24/2021 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by MIDiver
That was nice of you! We saw her walk by in the boot when we were at Ivan’s. Second the sketchy behavior out here. As an owner with a boat in charter, makes me a bit sick to my stomach........

Nice having you as a neighbor tonight smile

Likewise my friend...have a great dive and thanks for the drone video. Your new boat is stunning.

they are actually getting another boat (same type) with a captain tomorrow...

Re: On Boat! - 06/24/2021 12:16 AM

George-

News reports had it off of Long Bay so you are already west of Little Camanoe. New bareboat captain and my guess he overshot or didn't know about the correct passage between the Camanoes. We had traffic both ways going through and no issues but of course we have done it many times. They seem to have taken it in stride and fortunately nobody was hurt.

Re: On Boat! - 06/25/2021 12:30 AM

Easy sail today from the N sound to Anegada. Probably about 20 boats in the anchorage. Great day at Cow Wreck and a nice dinner at Wonky Dog. Two nights left. Will decide in the morning where we are going!
G

Re: On Boat! - 06/25/2021 05:18 PM

Near perfect weather today. 13 knot wind out of the North. Great sale from Anegada to Long Bay JVD. Reaching over to Ginger Island now to snorkle a bit. Simply great day!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline