TravelTalkOnline

3 day test window by ferry?

Posted By: captmonk

3 day test window by ferry? - 06/28/2021 07:30 PM

Have been told today that the USVI is now requiring covid test be within 3 days not 5 if entering by ferry.
Has anyone else run into this today?
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: 3 day test window by ferry? - 06/28/2021 07:38 PM

Just came home yesterday. No issues getting approval for granddaughter off a 5 day test. Here is what the website states from 5 minutes ago.

a COVID-19 molecular (e.g., RT-PCR, viral or nucleic acid amplification) test from a nasal or throat or saliva swab sample taken and NEGATIVE result received (both within five days of commencement of travel to the Territory)

I suspect someone is confusing the arrival by air rules. If you fly to STT you will need a test within 3 days. This is to comply with CDC rules and has nothing to do with the USVI portal.

G
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: 3 day test window by ferry? - 06/28/2021 08:01 PM

Their portal is pretty clear. Honestly, I think I'd make a new submission and see what happens.

Re: 3 day test window by ferry? - 06/28/2021 08:29 PM

I agree with George but the mom has spoken with multiple people including a supervisor and they have all told her the same thing. They are telling her that since he is traveling from a foreign country the 3 day rule applies.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: 3 day test window by ferry? - 06/28/2021 08:42 PM

You could send him over to Penn Medical and have him retested. They are saying 24 turn around.

Re: 3 day test window by ferry? - 06/29/2021 01:05 PM

Heads up...we finally got this sorted. Seems the boy's mom put on his portal application that he was flying into STT from BVI instead of taking the ferry.
Even after talking with manager at USVI Portal they would not accept the change so resubmitted and was approved within minutes.
Posted By: VirginGordaResident

Re: 3 day test window by ferry? - 06/29/2021 01:27 PM

So, just to confirm, if I am taking the ferry to St. Thomas on Friday and was tested on Monday this test will be accepted?

Re: 3 day test window by ferry? - 06/29/2021 03:43 PM

Yes.
Posted By: maytrix

Re: 3 day test window by ferry? - 06/29/2021 04:04 PM

So the requirements for testing are a shorter window for air travel and a longer window for ferry? Why is there any difference at all?
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: 3 day test window by ferry? - 06/29/2021 04:21 PM

If you are traveling by air from BVI to the USVI you are subject to the CDC regulations for international air arrivals as the USVI is your first port of entry into the US. These are separate from and supersede the USVI regulations. The US does not have the same regulations in place for international arrivals via sea therefore the USVI regulations apply for sea arrival from BVI.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline