TravelTalkOnline

Fuel Dock accessibility

Posted By: louismcc

Fuel Dock accessibility - 07/11/2021 05:07 PM

Would there be any issues for a monohull that draws 5'9" getting to the Great Harbour JVD fuel dock?

The one here at CGB gave a "wait until high tide" answer which plus the fact there is no one around to help has me looking at alternatives. We'll probably go to Scrub Island tomorrow but wanted a backup.
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Fuel Dock accessibility - 07/11/2021 05:34 PM

If you go past Nanny Cay, there are no issues at their fuel dock and their turnaround is very high so you will be guaranteed good fuel.
Posted By: Nate C

Re: Fuel Dock accessibility - 07/11/2021 06:36 PM

Nanny Cay is definitely a good bet. We had the unenjoyable task of circling on front of it this morning on a 41' mono with a PC hovering over stern also waiting to fuel. We arrived at exactly 8am but there were a few ahead of us and some fuel dock slips seem to be permanently occupied by large crewed cats who are not refueling... At least it appeared that way this past week. Regardless once tied up we were easy in and out.

Re: Fuel Dock accessibility - 07/11/2021 07:17 PM

We're in CGB and have decided to go tomorrow to Scrub island so we'll grab fuel there. The electronic gauge says 30% of what according to specs is a 106 gallon tank. We have 3 more nights where we definitely will run the generator as well as some during the hot part of the day so we're probably ok.
Still I'd rather toss some diesel in there and not worry about running out before our turn-in on Thursday.
Posted By: pk5352

Re: Fuel Dock accessibility - 07/11/2021 07:20 PM

Double check on Fuel at Scrub Island- not sure there is any...
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Fuel Dock accessibility - 07/11/2021 07:26 PM

Have never seen fuel at Scrub, but Loose Mongoose has a nice new fuel dock.
Posted By: Will_L

Re: Fuel Dock accessibility - 07/11/2021 07:34 PM

For those that haven’t been here in a while Da Loose Mongoose is nothing like you remembered. A huge restaurant and fuel dock. We only got water there this trip but I was amazed at the transition from the old bar/cafe of same name.
Posted By: bailau

Re: Fuel Dock accessibility - 07/11/2021 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by louismcc
We're in CGB and have decided to go tomorrow to Scrub island so we'll grab fuel there. The electronic gauge says 30% of what according to specs is a 106 gallon tank. We have 3 more nights where we definitely will run the generator as well as some during the hot part of the day so we're probably ok.
Still I'd rather toss some diesel in there and not worry about running out before our turn-in on Thursday.

LOL...we were milking our fuel in and ended up on fumes. Not used to 14 days on a 514 powercat. Took a few days to fix the fuel transfer switch or else we would have to filled up

No fuel at Scrub but nice provisions and fun day there. Some white knuckle docking for us so if you aren't staying you may want to go elsewhere

Re: Fuel Dock accessibility - 07/11/2021 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by bailau
... Some white knuckle docking for us so if you aren't staying you may want to go elsewhere

Hope it isn't too white knuckle because we plan on getting a slip. Not up to another tough docking after backing into Oil Nut Bay with 20 knots about 30 degrees off our bow. The Moorings 46.3 we're on has twin (small) rudders which made backup up different and difficult in those winds.

Re: Fuel Dock accessibility - 07/12/2021 06:03 PM

My son checked twice yesterday with Scrub Island and was told by 2 different people that they had fuel. I told him everything I read said they didn't so he called again and was told they did not have fuel.

So we rearranged things and went to Great Harbour and the North Latitude Marina where Sherman and another gentleman helped us into the T dock where we got fuel and water. Nice folks, nice store with some provisions so keep it in mind if you need fuel or water.

Our fuel gauge said we were into reserves so we weren't interested in pushing our luck and got some. It turns out either the boat spec sheet was wrong (it said we had a 96 gallon tank) or the gauge was wrong because it topped out after 40 gallons.

Now in Little Harbour and having takeout lobster dinners from Abe's.

Re: Fuel Dock accessibility - 07/12/2021 07:16 PM

How are the conditions there? If I'm lucky I'll get permission to leave the BVI tomorrow and I might want to anchor closer to Road Town than then North Sound on Virgin Gorda. If I get permission I could anchor in CGB and take a taxi into town to finish my paperwork. I've always anchored in Diamond Cay, but my chart says that Little Harbour should accomodate my draft (8.5 feet)

Re: Fuel Dock accessibility - 07/12/2021 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Zanshin
How are the conditions there? If I'm lucky I'll get permission to leave the BVI tomorrow and I might want to anchor closer to Road Town than then North Sound on Virgin Gorda. If I get permission I could anchor in CGB and take a taxi into town to finish my paperwork. I've always anchored in Diamond Cay, but my chart says that Little Harbour should accomodate my draft (8.5 feet)

I didn't pay real close attention to the depth of the channel in Great Harbour or in front of the fuel dock, but believe it was at least 12 feet as quoted in the Cruising Guide to the VI. Great Harbour would be a tough place to anchor because of the mooring ball spread. I suspect your boat could grab a ball in a deep enough spot.

We're in Little Harbour tucked in the corner by Abe's on a ball with 12 feet below the keel. We're the only ones here so there would be lots of room to anchor or grab a ball. Once again I didn't pay close attention to the depth coming in but it was easily 12 feet. The middle is pretty deep.

Re: Fuel Dock accessibility - 07/12/2021 08:16 PM

I've anchored in Great Harbour many times - way outside in 40-50 and bad holding but those mooring balls are spread like a bad case of acne and don't leave much good anchoring. I meant Little Harbour and am debating weighing anchor and moving out of the North Sound. If I get an e-mail tomorrow with permission to leave then I want to be closer to Road Town; but I just got information from someone at Moorings that they have many boats waiting for the same permission and it doesn't look like anything is getting processed... so I might just remain here.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline