TravelTalkOnline

FYI for those travelling

Posted By: CaptainJay

FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 12:10 PM

The governor of the USVI is set to make an announcement today about further travel restrictions from the BVI's.

VI Constortium Article about Travel Restrictions
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 01:16 PM

Jay--Please post an update when you know. And can't believe the BVI is still pushing prayer and fasting, after 5 deaths in a week.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Jay--Please post an update when you know. And can't believe the BVI is still pushing prayer and fasting, after 5 deaths in a week.

Great idea, right? Take a bunch of sick people and tell them not to eat for 12 hours/day.

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 01:24 PM

Right.
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht

Great idea, right? Take a bunch of sick people and tell them not to eat for 12 hours/day.

Don't forget that they are supposed to congregate and pray together...
Posted By: Manpot

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 03:01 PM

I got out just in time..again..but this makes me sick to my stomach. This is so shamefjul and avoidable and I feel so sorry for all my great VI pals who have been vaccinated and stuck to the rules to be punished by idiots who refuse..shame on them. Fasting and praying is not the answer..roll up your sleeves BVIslanders!
Posted By: Sunnykm

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 03:32 PM

Fast and pray while you are in line to get the vaccine. Doing all three would be effective.

God helps those who help themselves.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 04:38 PM

Arriving in Heaven the BVI resident said “God, we prayed and fasted hoping for your help against covid yet you did nothing! God replied, “I did do something, I sent you 30,000 doses of vaccine”.

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 04:41 PM

Perfect George..perfect..

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 04:47 PM

Plus another 3000 just underway right now from U.K. smile

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Zanshin
Plus another 3000 just underway right now from U.K. smile

So pointless. The vaccination numbers have barely changed. 13,719 1st doses on 7/3. 13,999 on 7/14. 280 doses administered in 11 days. At that pace, we need about 400 days to get to 80% vaccinated.

People here who are going to take it, already have. They should implement a lockdown for unvaccinated residents. Checked vax cards at stores, offices, and restaurants just like checking an ID at a bar. Stop paying unvaxxed people to stay home and not work. Many will break the lockdown rules, get infected, and help the herd immunity. Hopefully the pace will be slow enough for the hospital to keep up. Overtime, nature will take care of itself.

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 05:14 PM

Starting Monday, 7/19, travelers must have a negative COVID test within 48 hours or a positive antibody test to enter USVI from BVI.
Posted By: louismcc

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 05:20 PM

I assume that doesn't affect us since we have usvi approval based on the previous 5 day rule.

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by louismcc
I assume that doesn't affect us since we have usvi approval based on the previous 5 day rule.

when are you traveling?
Posted By: picaflores

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 05:23 PM

Starts as of Monday July 19th.

https://fb.watch/6Ma1l3e5NW/

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 05:26 PM

The positive antibody test is the way to go because its valid for four months. Get it before you head down to get you in and out of the USVI's.

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 05:28 PM

Agreed, I don't know how this will work for travelers otherwise since test results can't be expected within 48 hours in the BVI...
Posted By: captmonk

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 05:30 PM

Does this include an antigen/rapid test?

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by captmonk
Does this include an antigen/rapid test?

He didn't specify. Hopefully we'll see it in writing soon.

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 05:37 PM

284 media states that he said PCR test:

https://www.284media.com/local/2021...tk03LqLJMaDJtrwO6qiqJxl7_af6KYp1OYv3VLqk

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by picaflores

I saw that article, but I also listened (and just relistened) he didn't say PCR. In fact, he first said 24 hours, then he repeated but said 48 hours. The other confusing part is he said "anyone traveling between the BVI and USVI must submit a test within 48 hours of departure" so that can be interpreted several ways. It will be best to see the written rule before worrying too much.

Anyone really interested can interpret for themselves by listening here. You can fast forward to 8:50.

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 05:47 PM

This is going to be fun (...not...) with the current testing backlog and test response times going outside of 72 hours --- somewhat over the specified 48-hour timeframe. I applied for a travel PCR test last Friday and have yet to get an appointment. Effectively, this shuts down people going from BVI to the USVI as of next week.

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 05:49 PM

Yes, I realized that after I posted it, thanks Jason.

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by picaflores
Yes, I realized that after I posted it, thanks Jason.

it was almost as vague as the typical BVI govt. announce.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 07:00 PM

Only possible way to work it is to use the antibody test. Valid for 4 months but how long will antibodies test as present? We had our tests done 2 weeks after second dose and teated positive (in late May). Wonder if they would still be detected today? Going to be an interesting situation. Not returning til January and who knows where we will be then. Grateful we were able to be there so seamlessly in June.
Posted By: Time Will Tell

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 07:46 PM

I got my second vaccine shot Valentine's weekend and had a positive antibody test (the long term antibodies) this past weekend - basically 5 months. And it was pretty evident way before the 10 minute timer was done. Of course, they say everyone is different, and that not having a positive result doesn't mean that you don't actually have antibodies, so..... But that at least gives you a real world example.

Personally, I would do it as soon as possible - 4 months before your return home. Naturally, if you do that, the rules to the game will change before you go!

Keep Smiling!!!

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 08:36 PM

Please keep in mind that ONLY the USA accepts the antibody test for travel. Anyone here in the BVI from outside the USA has to provide a current RT-PCR test from an accredited laboratory where the test is no older than 72 hours prior to departure in order to travel. And with scheduled appointments difficult to get and test results taking over 72 to be returned it means that Europeans or Asians are currently effectively prohibited from traveling back home. I'm still waiting for a test appointment that I requested last Friday. Even the gentleman I'm dealing with at Customs in order to get my pre-clearance for leaving by sailboat admits that it is unlikely for me to get a test appointment in the near future. I'm effectively quarantined on the boat, and have ample food and beer supplies, so am not desperate to leave but I feel really bad for those stranded tourists here who believed in "BVI Love".
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 09:15 PM

Do we know that the antibody test will still be accepted? Different rules for vaccinated and unvaccinated? And all this will likely change before most of us go back.
Posted By: ecm56

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/15/2021 11:26 PM

"Because of the ongoing aggressive increase of COVID-19 cases in the BVI, Governor Bryan has shortened the time period for legitimate COVID-19 test results to enter the USVI from the British commonwealth from 5 days.

Until further notice, persons traveling from the BVI into the USVI must present test results obtained within 48 hours of traveling that show a negative COVID-19 for those who are not vaccinated or a positive antibody test for those who are vaccinated."

New Travel Testing Requirements for travel from BVI to USVI

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/16/2021 12:43 PM

Some additional clarity was provided from USVI. The new requirement is a PCR test taken within 48 hours of travel. The antigen test is no longer accepted so all the eMed tests people are planning to use are invalid starting on Monday. Antibody test is still allowed but must be within 3 months for air arrivals or 4 months for sea arrivals.

Attached picture USVI requirement.jpg

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/16/2021 01:11 PM

Jason--so, is there anywhere in the BVI where one can get a PCR test within 48 hours?
Posted By: mfringsley

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/16/2021 01:36 PM

I've read on FB BVI Community Board page of multiple people using a concierge covid testing where they meet you at your location and do the test. They then walk it through lab for quick turnaround. The people all seemed to have success with it. Also, one person had a positive test come back from Peebles and they wouldn't let them retest. They called the concierge and did a retake and came back negative. Probably worth a phone call if someone is stuck due to testing.

PCR: US $225
Raptid: US $125
Phone: 284-440-3070

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/16/2021 01:47 PM

Wow, that's a lot of money, but if it's your only way to get out, guess you have to pay it.. PCR tests in Sint Maarten are readily available, at around $125 and antigen tests (which I realize aren't acceptable to the USVI) are $60-$70. Surprised the USVI isn't accepting antigen tests, as, as far as I know, they are still acceptable to enter the continental US.

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/16/2021 01:49 PM

Jason--so, is there anywhere in the BVI where one can get a PCR test within 48 hours?

The best bet is to call the Private clinics on this list.

I had a guest leave 7/3 and used Penn Medical with very good success. The had an actual appointment system and results promised in 24 hours and actually returned in about 30 hours.

Could be harder now, but probably still doable.

Attached picture exit test locations.jpg

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/16/2021 02:28 PM

Jason--thanks
Posted By: maytrix

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/16/2021 02:35 PM

The new requirements actually seem quite reasonable. Only issue seems to be getting the test results on the BVI end in the 48 hours. I imagine that will change. Hopefully for the better, but possible for the worse in the short term.

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/16/2021 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by maytrix
The new requirements actually seem quite reasonable. Only issue seems to be getting the test results on the BVI end in the 48 hours. I imagine that will change. Hopefully for the better, but possible for the worse in the short term.

It's going to be tough. The BVI Health Services team recently (July 10) announced that results should not be expected in less than 72 hours.

Attached picture bviHSA announce.png

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/16/2021 02:45 PM

I sent my filled-in document to the BVIHSA last Friday with a request for a test appointment. They still haven't gotten back to me...
Posted By: Husker

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/16/2021 02:45 PM

Agree, Jason. The 48 hour turn around is tight just to get results. Then one has to submit and get USVI approval which has been running 12 to 24 hours. Antibody test is the easiest way when possible.

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/16/2021 02:50 PM

Zanshin--I am perhaps confused, but you can't use a private company, like Jason suggested??
Posted By: bailau

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/16/2021 02:51 PM

Maybe this has been discussed (and I apologize if so) but if flying from EIS to SJU under current rules is it still PCR within 72 hours?

Trying to figure best extraction method for December land trip...maybe i can sail back with Zanshin as he still might be there then?

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/16/2021 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by bailau

Trying to figure best extraction method for December land trip...maybe i can sail back with Zanshin as he still might be there then?

I really hope by December we're back to more normal travel procedures. We're thinking of a trip for the holidays given that we aren't making the BVI this trip.
Posted By: bailau

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/16/2021 02:56 PM

i hope so too my friend if for no other reason than the great friends we all have down there that count on tourism to eat...

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/16/2021 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by bailau
Maybe this has been discussed (and I apologize if so) but if flying from EIS to SJU under current rules is it still PCR within 72 hours?

To travel to SJU, a PCR or Antigen test within 72 hours is acceptable.

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/16/2021 03:40 PM

Interesting article here: https://bvinews.com/bvis-main-hospital-the-only-authorised-covid-testing-facility/

Are they implying that the private labs doing testing aren't delivering valid results? Or are the private facilities just taking samples and then expediting them through Peebles?

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/16/2021 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Zanshin
Interesting article here: https://bvinews.com/bvis-main-hospital-the-only-authorised-covid-testing-facility/

Are they implying that the private labs doing testing aren't delivering valid results? Or are the private facilities just taking samples and then expediting them through Peebles?

I do think the hospital has the only equipment for processing PCR tests.
Posted By: NoelHall

Re: FYI for those travelling - 07/16/2021 06:17 PM

Apparently our Abbott eMed test kits were a waste of money, unless something changes. All of our adults are vaccinated and have 'positive' antibodies test results, it is the three young kids. It makes no sense to make mom's take their kids into the general population to obtain tests. It seems counter to the mitigation they are attempting to achieve. Anyway, I guess we will 'scurry around' our last 48 hours in BVI attempting to obtain PCR test results and get them into the portal for returning to St. Thomas. Ugh!
Posted By: dholley

Re: FYI for those travelling - 08/11/2021 09:40 PM

Does anyone know of a COVID testing site in Tortola that does pre-departure tests on Sundays?

Re: FYI for those travelling - 08/11/2021 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by dholley
Does anyone know of a COVID testing site in Tortola that does pre-departure tests on Sundays?

Check on these but I think almost all currently do.

Attached picture exit test locations.jpg

Re: FYI for those travelling - 08/12/2021 11:54 AM

Are you testing to go through STT or leave from EIS and go through PR? I just did the trip back last Saturday from EIS to SJU to IAH. We had a group of 12 including 3 kids. The emed tests worked for all of us without any issue.

Re: FYI for those travelling - 08/12/2021 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by mfringsley
Are you testing to go through STT or leave from EIS and go through PR? I just did the trip back last Saturday from EIS to SJU to IAH. We had a group of 12 including 3 kids. The emed tests worked for all of us without any issue.

Just curious, did you fill out the PR Portal or just show your test results to the ticket counter at EIS? Did anyone from PR ask to see the results?

Re: FYI for those travelling - 08/12/2021 04:00 PM

Jsaon, I don't think you need to do anything with the PR portal if you aren't leaving the airport. I'm not sure how connecting flights work because I do recall in the past you had to get your bags? But we did leave the airport and that was when they check the QR code we got from the portal.

As far as testing, going to the US, the Ellume home test is another that is accepted for entry. We ended up using that for the PR portal and it worked fine there too.

Re: FYI for those travelling - 08/12/2021 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by maytrix
Jsaon, I don't think you need to do anything with the PR portal if you aren't leaving the airport. I'm not sure how connecting flights work because I do recall in the past you had to get your bags? But we did leave the airport and that was when they check the QR code we got from the portal.

As far as testing, going to the US, the Ellume home test is another that is accepted for entry. We ended up using that for the PR portal and it worked fine there too.

Agreed, you SHOULD not need the portal if you are in-transit. I always like to ask because some of the airlines at EIS have been requiring it to check in even though it's not required. Had several guests get surprised by this and have to navigate the portal on their phones while trying to check in at EIS.

My real question is whether anyone in PR asked to see the test results. I thought maybe immigration or customs might ask. Just want to be prepared.

Re: FYI for those travelling - 08/12/2021 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht
Originally Posted by mfringsley

Just curious, did you fill out the PR Portal or just show your test results to the ticket counter at EIS? Did anyone from PR ask to see the results?

I only had to show the negative test result at the Cape Air counter in EIS. Nobody asked another question for the remainder of the trip.

Re: FYI for those travelling - 08/12/2021 06:00 PM

Just for clarification of how the entire entry/exit worked for us. Going to EIS: We flew from IAH on a 2:30p fight and landed in SJU at 8:30. We collected our bags and proceeded to stay the night at the SJU Airport Hotel. This is when the PR Portal QR code came into play. Before we could exit the airport, there were two officials asking to see the QR codes. They did a quick scan of the QR with a handheld device and off we went. Fairly decent hotel for a one night stay and extremely convenient for the next morning as there are no taxis required. Be prepared that no food was available at the airport at that hour. We had to use Uber Eats to get some McDonald's (haven't eaten it in 20 yrs and it was just as bad as I remembered). The next morning we woke up and headed to the Cape Air ticket counter. This is where the BVI Portal letters were needed. There was no getting past this gate without them. Once we were checked in we proceeded through security which was painless.....got on the Cape Air flight and off we went to BVI. Once we arrived at EIS, the Cape Air representative walked us to the other end of EIS Airport into a nice A/C building. There we had to connect to their wifi and fill in a USA website that was collecting the results of the test we were about to take. Once we were in the system (instantly) we were called back to another room a couple at a time to take our arrival tests. We were all given the BINAX NOW test except the children which had a throat swab PCR test. We were directed to a waiting area and about 15 min later someone came out in a HAZMAT Space Suit and said we were all clear to go. The Cape Air rep then took us out another door and we passed through BVI Immigration. At this stop they wanted to see our vaccine card and approval letter. Once through this gate, our luggage was waiting immediately on the other side and we got our taxi and went to TMM.

For the way home, we all used (12 including unvaxxed children) the emed tests. The wait time was awful and after several phone calls someone from emed directed to the spanish site instead which had a wait time of 5 min max. We took these tests on a Friday morning and left for the airport Saturday morning. The Cape Air rep checked our negative covid test letters for exit and off we went. When we arrived in SJU we gathered our luggage and followed the cap air rep through customs. They took our picture and off we went. She walked us back to the Cape Air counter where we left our luggage and Cape Air took care of getting it over to United on the correct flight. We went through security and home we came.

Re: FYI for those travelling - 08/12/2021 06:07 PM

Awesome info. Thanks!

Re: FYI for those travelling - 08/12/2021 06:38 PM

Thanks for the update.

For what its worth, we used the Ellume home test (also FDA approved for entry into the US) I bought ours on Amazon a few days before our trip and got them day we left - almost left without them since the package hadn't arrived and we were heading to spend the night at the airport. Amazon truck pulled up as we were leaving so we grabbed them. Scheduled the test for our son online a couple days before we needed to take it. Day of the test, I realized it would be easier to get it done a little earlier, still within our 72 hours for PR requirements. Rescheduled it for 10 mins from current time. Got on the app, did the video call and took the test. 15 mins later we had our results. Very easy. Only thing that would have saved a little time was watching a video ahead of time. But the Azova rep (proctor company) just sent me the link and called us back 5 mins later. Seems like their wait time is much better - probably helps with scheduling the appointment.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline