TravelTalkOnline

Covid insurance..

Posted By: Manpot

Covid insurance.. - 09/23/2021 06:42 PM

I am getting very mixed info about whether it is still needed or not..judging by the Gov officials statements it is not included..proof of vaxand prrof of neg test five days out only..Anyone??
Posted By: caribbeangirl13

Re: Covid insurance.. - 09/23/2021 07:30 PM

Just heard from Lynette Harrigan. She said that everyone will need medical insurance, so I guess as long as your policy covers you oversees you will be ok.
Posted By: crmoores

Re: Covid insurance.. - 09/23/2021 08:23 PM

Don’t you use travel insurance anyway? Or do some folks actually have private health insurance (at home) that covers them internationally, but without COVID-19 coverage?
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Covid insurance.. - 09/23/2021 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by crmoores
Don’t you use travel insurance anyway? Or do some folks actually have private health insurance (at home) that covers them internationally, but without COVID-19 coverage?

Almost all of our guests last year used a letter from BCBS that indicated their home insurance covers them internationally. No mention of COVID, evacuation, or quarantine coverage.

Re: Covid insurance.. - 09/23/2021 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht

Almost all of our guests last year used a letter from BCBS that indicated their home insurance covers them internationally. No mention of COVID, evacuation, or quarantine coverage.

Ok, thanks, I wondered what folks were using. I know some use MedJet for the extraordinary medivac coverage…
Our home (US) insurance is Secondary coverage when traveling internationally. So we use a trip insurance policy with Primary medical/medivac coverage, and that provides coverage in the event we test positive (asymptomatically) and must do the mandatory quarantine.

Re: Covid insurance.. - 09/24/2021 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht

Ok, thanks, I wondered what folks were using. I know some use MedJet for the extraordinary medivac coverage…
Our home (US) insurance is Secondary coverage when traveling internationally. So we use a trip insurance policy with Primary medical/medivac coverage, and that provides coverage in the event we test positive (asymptomatically) and must do the mandatory quarantine.

I carry a MedJet policy for extreme situations but depend on my US policy to cover BVI expense. I'd have to pay out of pocket and submit a claim but it should cover me in the end. In general, BVI medical costs are pretty low so I'm comfortable paying out of pocket and asking for reimbursement.

Re: Covid insurance.. - 09/24/2021 03:02 AM

Of course, I understand. Just thinking about the dreaded positive test before flying to the US and associated Q and those costs. We haven’t really had that concern during this pandemic since we are spending our time primarily at our Carib place. But for most travelers who are still working and who are spending a week or two in the Carib that is a real concern…so the trip insurance policies like those Allianz provides that cover that scenario are important. With Primary coverage we’ve also been reimbursed during the medical emergency. But secondary can also pick up costs during an extended emergency…
Hoping things continue to improve in the BVI…
Posted By: Sunnykm

Re: Covid insurance.. - 09/24/2021 04:41 AM

Ok here is my dilemma… my group of friends are potentially coming down to charter in mid November (yayyyy!) we would be 5-6 from separate households but all vaccinated. What if one of us tests positive?? Yikes!!

Jason would have to be on speed dial and we would hope he has a villa for one to quarantine in for a week

Sunny

Re: Covid insurance.. - 09/24/2021 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sunnykm
Ok here is my dilemma… my group of friends are potentially coming down to charter in mid November (yayyyy!) we would be 5-6 from separate households but all vaccinated. What if one of us tests positive?? Yikes!!

Jason would have to be on speed dial and we would hope he has a villa for one to quarantine in for a week

Sunny

Mid-November is no problem... Gotcha covered!! Off-season rate, too!

Re: Covid insurance.. - 09/24/2021 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sunnykm

Sunny

That would be potentially terrible for the entire group!
Posted By: Will_L

Re: Covid insurance.. - 09/24/2021 04:50 PM

Hi Mal,

You are likely covered under a supplemental policy if you have one to Medicare. The people at Mutual of Omaha sent us both an email with our policy numbers on it and the portion of a brochure that says you were covered for visits on emergency basis for first 90 days in a foreign country.

They took it fine on our portal application
Posted By: Kiles41

Re: Covid insurance.. - 09/24/2021 06:24 PM

We have a charter booked in December and the travel insurance I purchased for my family covers medical and hospitalizations, but it's capped at $75,000.00 per person. Does anyone know whether that type of insurance will allow us entry?
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Covid insurance.. - 09/24/2021 07:49 PM

If there's no more portal, where are they going to verify your insurance? Are the people doing the quick tests going to review your insurance coverage? Either they won't check, or this is going to be an arrival nightmare.

Re: Covid insurance.. - 09/25/2021 03:41 PM

$75k is a pretty good medical limit and any trip insurance medical policy should qualify anyway. Usually the medivac coverage is much higher. Does the policy cover you for a positive COVID-19 test and subsequent quarantine/test costs?
Posted By: Kiles41

Re: Covid insurance.. - 09/25/2021 08:43 PM

The Medivac insurance is significantly higher. The policy does cover expenses associated with having to quarantine.

Re: Covid insurance.. - 09/26/2021 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kiles41
The Medivac insurance is significantly higher. The policy does cover expenses associated with having to quarantine.

Great! The $75k is one of the better limits. We usually have $50,000 - $100,000 medical and $1,000,000 medivac.
Having coverage for the potential positive test/quarantine expenses also puts your mind at ease. The only thing we can’t insure is the added time away from work, etc…But it’s great that things are improving and we can now make these trips!
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Covid insurance.. - 09/27/2021 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by RatmansWife
If there's no more portal, where are they going to verify your insurance? Are the people doing the quick tests going to review your insurance coverage? Either they won't check, or this is going to be an arrival nightmare.

I'd like to see an answer to this.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline