TravelTalkOnline

Official release from BVI

Posted By: xrayman67

Official release from BVI - 09/30/2021 01:27 AM

https://bvi.gov.vg/media-centre/covid-19-protocols-travellers-enter-virgin-islands-october-1
Posted By: NWsailor

Re: Official release from BVI - 09/30/2021 05:19 AM

So, Healthcare insurance is no longer enough, as it says they require medical repatriation & quarantine accommodation costs.
Looking at a number of travel insurance policies, I don't see any of them covering quarantine accommodation costs. Where do you go to get that?
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Official release from BVI - 09/30/2021 10:26 AM

It looks like they are trying to keep the insurance moneymakers going - those policies that they recommend have those costs included.
Posted By: ecm56

Re: Official release from BVI - 09/30/2021 12:47 PM

That was the way the requirement, as stated in the Statutory Instrument, was originally written. They have been very loose about re-stating it in other locations as well as enforcement.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Official release from BVI - 09/30/2021 02:08 PM

I don't think any of my guests this year had medical repatriation or quarantine accommodation costs coverage. I know they were supposed to but most just used the BCBS coverage and got approved anyway.

Should be interesting.
Posted By: caribbeangirl13

Re: Official release from BVI - 09/30/2021 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by NWsailor
So, Healthcare insurance is no longer enough, as it says they require medical repatriation & quarantine accommodation costs.
Looking at a number of travel insurance policies, I don't see any of them covering quarantine accommodation costs. Where do you go to get that?

This has always always been the requirement but we were able to just use our Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance. When they say repatriation, they really don't mean true repatriation (which is returning your body to your home country) it means that you are insured for medical evacuation if the country where you got sick can't accommodate your needs. Our medical insurance covers this but not true repatriation and it was accepted. As far as quarantine accommodation costs they just want to make sure you can afford to pay for your accommodation if you were to have to be quarantined. If you have a 10-14 day charter already booked, they accepted this because you can quarantine on the boat. If you are simply getting travel insurance to comply with what they are asking, I would first check your medical insurance to see if it covers you abroad and includes medical evacuation.
Posted By: DiveBVI

Re: Official release from BVI - 09/30/2021 02:40 PM

https://www.bviaacloud.com/covid-19-protocol/covid-19-travel-insurance

"Travel Insurance is mandatory for all non-resident visitors arriving in the British Virgin Islands. If you do not have travel insurance you may purchase one from the list, which has been provided for ease of convenience, below:

Caribbean Insurers Limited (CIL)
Insubuy
Travelex
Seven Corners
Tripmate
HTH World Wide
Travel Guard
Travel insured international
By providing links to websites of insurance providers or insurance companies, the British Virgin Islands Government and the British Virgin Islands Airports Authority do not guarantee, approve, or endorse the information, products or services available from any of these insurance providers or insurance companies and or on their sites."

But they don't provide links (at least not that I can find), so it's up to visitors to go and find these policies and make sure they meet the minimums required (which I also haven't been able to find). Good luck travelers!

Re: Official release from BVI - 09/30/2021 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by caribbeangirl13

As far as quarantine accommodation costs they just want to make sure you can afford to pay for your accommodation if you were to have to be quarantined. If you have a 10-14 day charter already booked, they accepted this because you can quarantine on the boat.

It's more than that because if you test positive on your exit test you will be subject to quarantine beyond your original reservation dates.
Posted By: caribbeangirl13

Re: Official release from BVI - 09/30/2021 03:19 PM

[/quote]
It's more than that because if you test positive on your exit test you will be subject to quarantine beyond your original reservation dates.[/quote]

True...Didn't think about the exit test being positive! They never asked for proof of travel insurance for quarantine accommodations for us, just took our Blue Cross/Shield insurance but we did arrive before you had to test to go back to the US (although it changed during our trip) and we are owners so maybe the assumption was made that our accommodations could be extended. Anyway, we plan to just use our BCBS insurance coverage again. We will keep people posted on how that goes.

Re: Official release from BVI - 10/01/2021 12:08 AM

There was a video announcement tonight. USVI charter boats and USVI daytrip boats are allowed back into the BVI if everyone onboard is fully vaccinated.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Official release from BVI - 10/01/2021 12:26 AM

Do they need proof of insurance?

Re: Official release from BVI - 10/01/2021 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
Do they need proof of insurance?

Yes but I don't know how that's going to work. They did call out the same 3 insurance items that are publicized.
Posted By: Sunnykm

Re: Official release from BVI - 10/01/2021 06:25 AM

This will be interesting to watch...
Posted By: cwoody

Re: Official release from BVI - 10/01/2021 11:52 AM

I don't see any of them covering quarantine accommodation costs. Where do you go to get that?

I saw one and it was mentioned under the "Trip Interruption" section along with being locked up in jail.
Posted By: xrayman67

Re: Official release from BVI - 10/01/2021 12:17 PM

An additional statement released last night. It seems that "day trippers" do not need travel insurance.

https://bvi.gov.vg/media-centre/sta...le-natalio-wheatley-protocols-travellers
Posted By: marisol

Re: Official release from BVI - 10/01/2021 03:05 PM

I am happy to hear all this news for those of us who want to return to the BVI's. But if I read between the lines here, could it be so that cruise ships can easily stop in Roadtown?

Re: Official release from BVI - 10/01/2021 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by marisol
I am happy to hear all this news for those of us who want to return to the BVI's. But if I read between the lines here, could it be so that cruise ships can easily stop in Roadtown?

Absolutely. I believe that is planned to start in the next week or 2.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Official release from BVI - 10/01/2021 05:16 PM

I saw one policy that listed quarantine along with being hijacked.

So, the day trippers don't have to do the USVI portal to get back in ?

Re: Official release from BVI - 10/01/2021 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by tradewinds
I saw one policy that listed quarantine along being hijacked.

So, the day trippers don't have to do the USVI portal to get back in ?

I would assume they do since they have to clear immigration and I'd guess that's why the BVI requirement for testing is within 24-48 hours. This allows the same test to be used for entry back in to the USVI.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Official release from BVI - 10/01/2021 06:29 PM

Thanks, Jason. I get that part, but what about doing the USVI portal like we have to do to go back to STT.

Re: Official release from BVI - 10/01/2021 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by tradewinds
I get that part, but what about doing the USVI portal?

Sorry, that's what I was referring to. They will no longer have to do a BVI portal if fully vaccinated but will most likely have to do a USVI portal to clear immigration on their way back to the USVI.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline