TravelTalkOnline

Provisioning

Posted By: johncerq

Provisioning - 10/12/2021 05:02 PM

We will be provisioning before we get underway on November 3 from BVI Yacht Charters in Roadtown. On past trips we found it convenient to do a less extensive re-provisioning at the store in Leverick Bay. I thought I read somewhere that you are not able to just walk into a local store due to Covid. True? If so any suggestions on how to re-provision?
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Provisioning - 10/12/2021 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by johncerq
We will be provisioning before we get underway on November 3 from BVI Yacht Charters in Roadtown. On past trips we found it convenient to do a less extensive re-provisioning at the store in Leverick Bay. I thought I read somewhere that you are not able to just walk into a local store due to Covid. True? If so any suggestions on how to re-provision?

Not true. You just need to wear a mask and sanitize your hands as you enter. Some stores also require a temperature check.
Posted By: xrayman67

Re: Provisioning - 10/12/2021 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by johncerq

We did some provisioning at Leverick in May. They were very well stocked. We will be down again next week and plan on stopping there again. I will try to give you an up to date report after our visit there.
Posted By: johncerq

Re: Provisioning - 10/12/2021 08:49 PM

Awesome! Thanks so much.
Posted By: Sailinggolden

Re: Provisioning - 10/13/2021 04:16 PM

We will be chartering for 10 days over the Christmas holidays. This will be our first time. Do you find the provisions less expensive on the smaller islands?
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Provisioning - 10/13/2021 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sailinggolden
We will be chartering for 10 days over the Christmas holidays. This will be our first time. Do you find the provisions less expensive on the smaller islands?

Exactly the opposite.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Provisioning - 10/13/2021 05:21 PM

Do you find the provisions less expensive on the smaller islands?

Virtually everything used or consumed in the BVI is shipped to Tortola, where it goes through Customs and duty is assessed. From there it is barged (or flown) to the outer islands. So everything (except maybe booze) is more expensive than the US mainland, or even the USVI. Away from Tortola it is even more expensive. Some produce is grown locally. It is probably fresher, but not cheaper.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Provisioning - 10/13/2021 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht

Exactly the opposite.

By a significant margin!
Posted By: Sailinggolden

Re: Provisioning - 10/14/2021 10:26 AM

Excellent info. Thank you all so much. This is our first time so we will be searching here often
Posted By: xrayman67

Re: Provisioning - 10/23/2021 07:56 PM

At Leverick today. Provisioning store is well stocked with the exception of the meat freezer.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline