TravelTalkOnline

Private Water Taxi in Dec: STT to Tortola (Scrub Isl)

Posted By: metalinker

Private Water Taxi in Dec: STT to Tortola (Scrub Isl) - 10/14/2021 11:24 AM

We are a party of 3 adults and 2 children (9 and 12) chartering Dec 10-18 and flying in and out thru STT, chartering from Scrub Island. Concerned about the ferry both ways on Fridays so looking at private water taxis. Dolphin seems like the best choice but they are all pricy. However, they would help with all the transfers and eliminate various land taxis between STT the ferry and Trellis bay.

Anyone know where I can post to look for others who might want to share the water taxi with us? They want to fill the boat so the pp cost goes down with more people.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Private Water Taxi in Dec: STT to Tortola (Scrub Isl) - 10/14/2021 12:37 PM

Facebook groups "BVI Alive" and "BVI Abroad" often have those posts.

FYI - I expect the November/December ferry schedule to have 3 or 4 daily boats from St. Thomas. Native Son is already showing a 9am and 4:30pm departure from Charlotte Amalie to Road Town. Someone will surely have the existing 2:30 trip assigned to them. Also, the 4:30 departure may shift to 5:30pm when Daylight Savings time ends. I've also heard the capacity already increased from 65 to 100 passengers.

If you can swing the cost, Dolphin is still a better option!
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Private Water Taxi in Dec: STT to Tortola (Scrub Isl) - 10/14/2021 12:45 PM

If you are going to pay the cost of a water taxi and Scrub Island is your charter point I think you will find flying directly into EIS is cheaper and far less hassle.
Posted By: Husker

Re: Private Water Taxi in Dec: STT to Tortola (Scrub Isl) - 10/14/2021 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
If you are going to pay the cost of a water taxi and Scrub Island is your charter point I think you will find flying directly into EIS is cheaper and far less hassle.

I agree, George. We used Island Times Water Taxi this last July. Great experience. I've also just gotten a quote from Chill Out Water Taxi that was a little less expensive.
Posted By: caribbeangirl13

Re: Private Water Taxi in Dec: STT to Tortola (Scrub Isl) - 10/14/2021 04:11 PM

We are using Chill Out Charters in November for both ways. The quote was $900 if we leave from Red Hook and $1110 from Charlotte Amalie for 6 or less people. We opted to go from Red Hook seeing as the cab there is about $20 per person as opposed to taking a cab from airport to Charlotte Amalie ($10 per person) and then paying the extra $35 per person for pick up in Charlotte Amalie. Saved us $25 per person and we have a private taxi (Kevin) picking us up so don't have to share the ride.

Re: Private Water Taxi in Dec: STT to Tortola (Scrub Isl) - 10/15/2021 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by caribbeangirl13
We are using Chill Out Charters in November for both ways. The quote was $900 if we leave from Red Hook and $1110 from Charlotte Amalie for 6 or less people. We opted to go from Red Hook seeing as the cab there is about $20 per person as opposed to taking a cab from airport to Charlotte Amalie ($10 per person) and then paying the extra $35 per person for pick up in Charlotte Amalie. Saved us $25 per person and we have a private taxi (Kevin) picking us up so don't have to share the ride.

Hey CaribGirl - I'd like to arrange for a private taxi from STT. Who is Kevin and could you provide contact info?

Re: Private Water Taxi in Dec: STT to Tortola (Scrub Isl) - 10/15/2021 06:16 PM

[/quote]
Hey CaribGirl - I'd like to arrange for a private taxi from STT. Who is Kevin and could you provide contact info?[/quote]

Kevin is the taxi driver who will pick you up at the airport and take you anywhere you need on St. Thomas. His number is (340) 643-0025. You can book Chill Out Charters by emailing them at chilloutchartersbvi@gmail.com

Re: Private Water Taxi in Dec: STT to Tortola (Scrub Isl) - 10/15/2021 08:10 PM

Sadly, flying to Tortola is not an option from Boston. 12 hours, $200 more pp each way than to STT and dont arrive until after 7pm which means flying the day before. Sigh..

Re: Private Water Taxi in Dec: STT to Tortola (Scrub Isl) - 10/15/2021 08:18 PM

Dolphin quoted me 169pp from STT airport for 5. Included is $150 pp water taxi + 19 pp land taxi to Red Hook.
Total $845 vs Chill Out

Re: Private Water Taxi in Dec: STT to Tortola (Scrub Isl) - 10/15/2021 08:19 PM

We probably will use Dolphin but if there were others needing a water taxi the same day, they would reduce the pp cost. Just asking if others are looking on the same days.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Private Water Taxi in Dec: STT to Tortola (Scrub Isl) - 10/15/2021 08:56 PM

Metalinker, we have a number of neighbors who fly from Boston to EIS. On Jet Blue/Seaborne it's under 7 hours and you get in at 2:40. Or buy Cape Air coupons. Taxi/ferry/taxi to Scrub will take several hours, and water taxi won't save you money.

Re: Private Water Taxi in Dec: STT to Tortola (Scrub Isl) - 10/15/2021 10:26 PM

[/quote]
Hey CaribGirl - I'd like to arrange for a private taxi from STT. Who is Kevin and could you provide contact info?

Kevin is the taxi driver who will pick you up at the airport and take you anywhere you need on St. Thomas. His number is (340) 643-0025. You can book Chill Out Charters by emailing them at chilloutchartersbvi@gmail.com[/quote]

Do you typically arrange it with Kevin ahead of time or call when your flight arrives? Can he take 8 people? Thanks CG13.
Chris.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Private Water Taxi in Dec: STT to Tortola (Scrub Isl) - 10/15/2021 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Husker

Kevin is the taxi driver who will pick you up at the airport and take you anywhere you need on St. Thomas. His number is (340) 643-0025. You can book Chill Out Charters by emailing them at chilloutchartersbvi@gmail.com[/quote]

Do you typically arrange it with Kevin ahead of time or call when your flight arrives? Can he take 8 people? Thanks CG13.
Chris.[/quote]
Arrange in advance for sure!

Re: Private Water Taxi in Dec: STT to Tortola (Scrub Isl) - 10/16/2021 12:01 AM

[/quote]

Chris.[/quote]

So it's 2 different people you book through. Kevin isn't associated with Chill Out. Yes, book with Kevin ahead of time. I'm not sure how many he can take but I will reach out to him.

Re: Private Water Taxi in Dec: STT to Tortola (Scrub Isl) - 10/16/2021 12:23 AM

Chris,

He says he can take up to 11 with luggage.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline