TravelTalkOnline

New ferry operator

Posted By: DanS

New ferry operator - 03/05/2022 05:10 PM

Looks like there's going to be a new ferry operator servicing Road Town, Red Hook, and St. John:

https://www.virginislandsnewsonline...new-ferry-operator-for-roundtrip-to-usvi
https://www.aquaticrentalsvi.com/ferry-service-tortola-stt

Dan cheers
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: New ferry operator - 03/05/2022 05:52 PM

The times they have listed will be a fantastic option!
G
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: New ferry operator - 03/05/2022 06:33 PM

Great for folks hopping off on St John. I prefer a Charlotte Amalie ferry when heading back to STT. The taxi from Red Hook is not high on our list of preferred options.

Re: New ferry operator - 03/05/2022 06:50 PM

The ride from Redhook to the airport is not bad and runs about 20 per person. It will be interesting to see their pricing. The 9AM departure out of Roadtown allows charters to return early and make that ferry. 10 would have been better but I will take 9!
Maybe this will restore some pricing power to the consumer for the other ferries. It was not that long ago the roundtrip fare was 60 dollars with free bags. Now it’s something like 180 with two bags each way.
Posted By: tpcook

Re: New ferry operator - 03/05/2022 10:33 PM

I suspect thatif the ferry goes to St John firast you will have to do customs in St John. Never a favorite of mine,.

Re: New ferry operator - 03/06/2022 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
The ride from Redhook to the airport is not bad and runs about 20 per person. It will be interesting to see their pricing. The 9AM departure out of Roadtown allows charters to return early and make that ferry. 10 would have been better but I will take 9!
Maybe this will restore some pricing power to the consumer for the other ferries. It was not that long ago the roundtrip fare was 60 dollars with free bags. Now it’s something like 180 with two bags each way.

George - we are on St. John often. We avoid Red Hook like the plague - lol. Private taxi OK at $90 but that ride to the airport is a pain. We take the Charlotte Amalie run whenever we can. Like you I wish there was better timing on the morning run from Roadtown to CA. Enjoying the water taxis for the time being smile

Re: New ferry operator - 03/06/2022 02:59 AM

I have liked the water taxi also but they drop you in Redhook.

Re: New ferry operator - 03/06/2022 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
I have liked the water taxi also but they drop you in Redhook.

Yes, that is rhe drawback although they do pick us up at our boat 😎
Posted By: Manpot

Re: New ferry operator - 03/06/2022 12:04 PM

I thought Red Hook now had C and I?
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: New ferry operator - 03/06/2022 01:43 PM

They did, but it’s closed now.
Posted By: Husker

Re: New ferry operator - 03/06/2022 01:50 PM

I know at least a couple of the water taxi companies will take you all the way to CA for an extra fee. When I checked into it last year I think it was +$35pp.....so $15 delta over the Red Hook + land taxi route.

Re: New ferry operator - 03/06/2022 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by tradewinds
They did, but it’s closed now.

I wonder if it will reopen with the start of Ferry service?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline