Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Interesting reading - 04/30/2022 09:33 AM

Interesting indeed.
Posted By: PEDCO

Re: Interesting reading - 04/30/2022 12:12 PM

Following , Hoping to get some updated information soon
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Interesting reading - 04/30/2022 01:08 PM

Wow, for those who haven't read the charging affidavit, it is something.
Posted By: Marie

Re: Interesting reading - 04/30/2022 02:16 PM

Triple Wow! Fascinating and scary. Thank you George for posting. I read the whole charging affidavit and would love to have been a fly on the wall when Fahie was arrested. He was very paranoid and was correct to be paranoid! Obviously, the US and the UK coordinated this So that Fahie and Maynard would be out of the country when the UK dissolved the BVI government.

I am a subscriber with Substack but with a different journalist. Loose Cannon looks very interesting. Thanks again George!
Posted By: Sunnykm

Re: Interesting reading - 04/30/2022 02:25 PM

The affidavit is like a movie plot no one would believe could be true!
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Interesting reading - 04/30/2022 05:07 PM

So..with "alleged" corruption running deep in Customs and allegedly Immigration...the equipment needed to upgrade the charter boats gets"held up" at the dock by customs and then armed officers swoop down and seize charter boats because they haven't complied..because the equipment is sitting on the docks held up by Customs? I can smell the rat all the way over here in California..what a way to direct attention away from this "alleged" activity by the "Head Coach" and the upcoming COI reveal.
Posted By: Will_L

Re: Interesting reading - 05/01/2022 04:45 PM

It was also a way to increase money into treasury to "use". I notes a while back the Premier and Finance Minister , a cause for concern combination, had said they needed to borrow some funds from the BVI equivalent of Social Security accounts. They were doing the same thing shaking down local for hire boats for compliance.

I believe the drug deal was just a part of the ripoff involved. Those big payments to "farmers and fisherpeople" I would guess came only with kickbacks. When the COI is released I'd bet you see a lot of there has been a lot of the Islanders money diverted to rascals in government.

I notice the interim prime minister is screaming that there is not a need to clean house and have a 2 yr custodial period for the UK. There has to be so much to clean out, and prosecute that I surely hope he is not listened to.

Re: Interesting reading - 05/01/2022 05:52 PM

Wonder why he's screaming so loudly? If he has clean hands he has nothing to worry about.Let the UK clean house and he could come back as the Premier in two years....if he has clean hands. I think there are a great deal of worried politicians, heads of Gov departments and even the police ( its alleged that certain cops were under the criminal influence of Fahie and his cronies). If criminal acts are revealed lets hope for trials and punishment where due jail terms are handed dowqn..enough to make any future BVI powerbrokers think long and hand before they get greedy.
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Interesting reading - 05/01/2022 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Manpot
So..with "alleged" corruption running deep in Customs and allegedly Immigration...the equipment needed to upgrade the charter boats gets"held up" at the dock by customs and then armed officers swoop down and seize charter boats because they haven't complied..because the equipment is sitting on the docks held up by Customs? I can smell the rat all the way over here in California..what a way to direct attention away from this "alleged" activity by the "Head Coach" and the upcoming COI reveal.

Yet there were no shortage of folks ready to convict Moorings of shirking safety regulations for "corporate greed". I did notice that there were now two water buckets aboard my boat. 🙄

Re: Interesting reading - 05/01/2022 08:37 PM

The acting Prime Minister is whining that there is no need for UK to take over even though the charging documents for those in custody and the preview of the COI says there is a lot of corruption left in place.

This guy who is very active in politics also was quick to hit the airwaves to claim it was wrong for UK to take over +ot roll.

https://www.bviplatinum.com/news.ph...sVoZAoSUMStEruSpmas4rpjRkM0sQb_6Aq4uatDU

Reading his appearance at the COI and the large sum of monies he was receiving for very ill defined contracts would give lots of $$reasons for not wanting any changes in governances.

https://www.bvibeacon.com/skelton-cline-dodges-many-coi-questions/

Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Interesting reading - 05/01/2022 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by MrEZgoin
Originally Posted by Manpot

Yet there were no shortage of folks ready to convict Moorings of shirking safety regulations for "corporate greed". I did notice that there were now two water buckets aboard my boat. 🙄

Hey, you got cheated! I got a water bucket and a hacksaw!
I do wonder if maybe the right palms were not greased.
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: Interesting reading - 05/02/2022 07:54 AM

Forgive me if this link has already been posted but the full COI report has been released... COI Report Just reading the Summary of Recommendations section will show you how badly the people of the BVI have been treated by the people they elected.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Interesting reading - 05/02/2022 12:13 PM

As I recall, Moorings sent out a letter a couple weeks ago where it cited, inter alia, lack of financial and administrative resources for failing to get its boats in compliance. It seems they cut back during Covid, weren't able to get the boats ready, and didn't anticipate enforcement. Many other companies did comply.

Whatever else may have happened, Moorings did accept responsibility on their part.

Re: Interesting reading - 05/02/2022 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jeannius
Forgive me if this link has already been posted but the full COI report has been released... COI Report Just reading the Summary of Recommendations section will show you how badly the people of the BVI have been treated by the people they elected.

Found it, Thanks Mike. It sure tells you why the Acting Premier and the Reverend who received huge amounts of $$ in no bid contracts of dubious merit are on the record screaming like mashed cats at ending the game.:)
Posted By: jagmansr

Re: Interesting reading - 05/02/2022 10:02 PM

Latest article at BVInews

“Disgraced Premier Andrew Fahie has requested immediate release from United States detention claiming diplomatic immunity.

A representative from the United States District Court, Southern District of Florida confirmed with our news team that Fahie, accused of drug trafficking and money laundering, filed a “Notice of Invocation of Immunity” earlier today at federal court in Miami.

Edit by Carol Hill--Please do not copy and paste in full copyrighted material. Please post a link. Thanks..
Posted By: TomGarvey

Re: Interesting reading - 05/03/2022 01:51 AM

I'm guessing that any defense attorney worth his/her salt would claim diplomatic immunity, but I doubt that will do anything more than temporarily muddy the waters.

Re: Interesting reading - 05/03/2022 01:17 PM

Link

"“Diplomatic immunity doesn’t protect you if you’re on your own private boondoggle,” said Dick Gregorie, a former federal prosecutor in Miami who in the 1980s indicted the prime minister of Turks and Caicos, another British colony, on drug charges and the then Panamanian strongman Gen Manuel Noriega."
Posted By: Time Will Tell

Re: Interesting reading - 05/03/2022 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Link

"“Diplomatic immunity doesn’t protect you if you’re on your own private boondoggle,” said Dick Gregorie, a former federal prosecutor in Miami who in the 1980s indicted the prime minister of Turks and Caicos, another British colony, on drug charges and the then Panamanian strongman Gen Manuel Noriega."

Prosecutors - former or current - can claim anything they'd like, just as all attorneys seem to. IF Fahie qualifies for diplomatic immunity - far from a certainty - then only his home country (the UK in this case, I believe) can waive it. Plenty of outrageous conduct has been acted out by people covered under diplomatic immunity - including by Americans - that could not be prosecuted because their home country stood by their citizens, refused waive immunity, and they had to be released. They're usually PNG'd, but they don't go to jail.

It is definitely entertaining, though.

Re: Interesting reading - 05/03/2022 04:03 PM

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but one would think that perhaps the UK was consulted before he was arrested. Or not..

Re: Interesting reading - 05/03/2022 04:44 PM

With the corruption up and down the BVI government that the UK COI uncovered it would seem a huge stretch for them to bail out the head of the rotten bunch.

The biggest issue facing the UK is the corruption has many benefiting from it and some party politics that is normal. There have been relatively small demonstrations against the UK takeover. There have been several articles by politicians who obviously want no ovrrsohht. Then there was a lady who testified about her real estate deals with the fahe government but couldn't recall amounts or find any documents. The reverand and radio personality, Clone, who had large contracts the COI seemed to think were under the table payments has vociferously opposed the takeover.

Other carribean countries chimed in this morning saying they didn't think the UK should suspend parliament. You can read all the above on BVI Platinum News. And as was posted you can read the COI now. It seems there is a great desire to inject race into this. So far it doesn't seem to be getting a great deal of support. People in general are disgusted and embarrassed by their government and seem to want to clean house. The UK people are going to have to be firm and yet sensitive to the situation.
Posted By: bviicatter

Re: Interesting reading - 05/03/2022 04:58 PM

Thank you for this information- the blog Loose Cannon including the charging docs. A real eye opener.
Posted By: CGB

Re: Interesting reading - 05/04/2022 03:13 AM

Wonder if this will get twisted in reverse. Fahie was doing a sting of his own, with witnesses in St.Martin etal. Get the popcorn popping... sit back and watch this unfold
Posted By: duckfat

Re: Interesting reading - 05/04/2022 02:36 PM

We that live here have known that Fahie has been in the drug trade for many years. He was accused years ago of drug trafficking, but no charges were laid. "Untouchables" here are never charged.

Why do you think that the radar barges were contracted at $17,000 per day on Fahie's behalf without consent of Cabinet to guard the exclusion zone instead of letting the Royal Navy do the job for free? Could it be that the Royal Navy might not know to allow passage by certain boats?

Fahie's involvement in crime and corruption had to have been known by others in the VIP. Yet, they elected him as Premier. (Premier is not elected by direct ballot, but by vote among the elected majority party representatives.) What did Fahie have on them?

You have only seen Episode 1. There are far more things coming. The cast is larger than you think...

Re: Interesting reading - 05/04/2022 02:43 PM

Here's the latest on Fahie's attempt of immunity just printed on BVINews.

The United States (US) Attorney’s Office has rejected Premier Andrew Fahie’s “so-called Notice of Invocation of Immunity” that he filed to get released from detention.

Fahie has been in US custody on charges of drug trafficking and money laundering since last Thursday and later sought to file a notice to the court claiming he was protected by ‘diplomatic immunity’ as the BVI’s political head.

But in a response to Premier Andrew Fahie’s notice, the US Attorney’s Office, Southern District of Florida indicated that the US does not recognise Fahie’s claim to head-of-state immunity.

EDITED BY CAROL HILL--Again, please do not copy and paste in full copyrighted material. Please post a link. Thanks

Re: Interesting reading - 05/04/2022 03:22 PM

Looks like Head Coach not coming back for a while.

https://www.bvibeacon.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/5-4-22-US-motion-for-pre-trial-detention.pdf

Re: Interesting reading - 05/04/2022 03:23 PM

https://www.bvibeacon.com/us-seeks-to-detain-fahie-maynard-for-pre-trial/
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: Interesting reading - 05/04/2022 04:56 PM

If they are allowed to post bond they will never be seen again. I sure hope the court is smart enough to heed the "flight risk" warnings. Nothing would surprise me at this point.

Re: Interesting reading - 05/04/2022 05:34 PM

skipdastraw--read the link that duckfat posted with a copy of the motion to hold him without bond. Provided the court doesn't buy the diplomatic immunity deal, I cannot imagine the Judge will grant bond.

Re: Interesting reading - 05/04/2022 05:52 PM

I read it and saw the flight risk plastered all over it. I cannot imagine the judge granting it either but like I said, nothing would surprise me in the US these days.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Interesting reading - 05/04/2022 06:06 PM

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/article261076237.html

Released on bond.

Re: Interesting reading - 05/04/2022 06:10 PM

OMG
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Interesting reading - 05/04/2022 06:11 PM

that is very disappointing. And stupid unless they really don't care about prosecuting him.

Re: Interesting reading - 05/04/2022 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht
that is very disappointing. And stupid unless they really don't care about prosecuting him.

Or unless he agreed to do some singing.

Re: Interesting reading - 05/04/2022 06:45 PM

Hopefully the federal agents tasked with catching him when he runs are authorized to use deadly force. He's way too cocky to stay put in his daughter's apartment.

Re: Interesting reading - 05/04/2022 06:55 PM

Hmmmm...what did I just say? Nothing surprises me anymore.
So stupid.

Re: Interesting reading - 05/04/2022 07:15 PM

The Prosecutors said they would appeal the decision. Doubt if an ankle bracelet will keep him in the States

Re: Interesting reading - 05/04/2022 07:23 PM

OK, interesting, re the appeal.

Re: Interesting reading - 05/04/2022 07:55 PM

Methinks this all reeks....

Re: Interesting reading - 05/04/2022 09:35 PM

Holy cow. Just when you think you know what the outcome will be ..there is a courtroom. Well I would love to know who signed the petition in the bvi for his release. That's one guy/gal that needs some serious scrutiny.

Can't believe the Judge is serious about this guy having to be released so he can deal with the COI . I actually don't know how it works in a parliament but there should be no part for that known crook (not yet convicted) in discussing BVI's future in any forum. In all the people in his party I've heard words like disappointed but not anger at Fahe. That makes you wonder how many fear saying anything about the guy or have their own extra gig going.

And obviously there is much more likelihood he can get word to fellow crooks to cover other parts of their operations than would be the case in jail. Kinda like the o.j. trial but it has wasted millions of dollars and hurt many citizens that have worked hard and been through a lot the last 5 years..

Re: Interesting reading - 05/04/2022 10:28 PM

I hope they are tapping his phones.
Posted By: tpcook

Re: Interesting reading - 05/05/2022 01:18 AM

The lady you refer to is drug dealer and has spent time in prison for same. She owns lots f of real esatte, all drug money from her husband ,who eventually was gunned down. Cline is a thief and a con man. Had to flee Detroit because the mayor was found to be dishonest and went to prison . Came to the BVI and contined his crime spree.
Posted By: tpcook

Re: Interesting reading - 05/05/2022 01:23 AM

Will;
My thought is Foy gets to stay at the daughters house. Gets shot and killed by drug lords. USA gets to keep the 500k, bail bondsman gets to sell all Foys assets in the BVI.
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Interesting reading - 05/05/2022 12:33 PM

IMO Fahie is a dead man walking. He knows too much.

Did Maynard get bail too?
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Interesting reading - 05/05/2022 01:10 PM

I always found it odd that Head Coach needed the BVI taxpayer to cough up for security. He said he had information that he was a target. Really, a bunch of islands with 30,000 people? Much clearer now.

Re: Interesting reading - 05/05/2022 01:35 PM

The Judge said that the reason why she was setting bond was so that he could continue his duties as Premier

"While Judge Otazo-Reyes sidestepped the immunity issue, she seemed convinced by Van Vliet's argument that Fahie's continued detention would make it impossible for him to carry out his official duties at a critical juncture for the islands, as officials weigh suspending the territory’s constitution in an attempt to clean up rampant corruption." Seriously???

Link
Posted By: TomGarvey

Re: Interesting reading - 05/05/2022 01:52 PM

A summary of the UK Foreign Office Minister’s three-day visit: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...british-virgin-islands-uk-minister-visit
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Interesting reading - 05/05/2022 03:20 PM

According to the acting Premier, Natalio Wheatley, the BVI govt. doesn't want Fahie back.

Re: Interesting reading - 05/05/2022 03:32 PM

That's what I had read, which makes it even more curious why the Judge used that as her reasoning for releasing him on bond.. The US attorney said they were going to appeal the granting of bond. Any news on that?

Re: Interesting reading - 05/05/2022 03:51 PM

If Wheatley is acting Premier because Fahie was detained (and he is no longer locked up), does that mean that until there are decisions made regarding the Govt structure and/or Fahie is sentenced, that techincally Fahie can still be making decisions for the territory??? That is what it sounds like the judge is saying.

Re: Interesting reading - 05/05/2022 03:57 PM

The Premier is not an elected position, I would think the party could simply remove him an appoint someone new.

Re: Interesting reading - 05/05/2022 04:43 PM

I , like many others, would like to see the UK take over and straighten this heavy listing, extremely corrupt, ship.But, I dont believe that will happen. It seems to me they will go for a new Gov mix of all the parties with, hopefully, the Govenor having a BIG say in what happens and is involved in all decisions , policy making and $$ spent. Not what I would choose but it might appease the Anti UK lobby, some of whom are already trying to play the race card..and we dont want that PLEASE!

Re: Interesting reading - 05/05/2022 06:18 PM

Removal in progress
https://www.284media.com/local/2022...e-fahie-as-premier-to-be-voted-on-today/
Posted By: dlparch

Re: Interesting reading - 05/05/2022 06:52 PM

These two articles gives some more background about the BVI and it's relationship with the EU and Great Britain in general. The long and short of it is that the EU is fed up with the BVI and its tax haven status, and are pressing to make it clean up it's act. So with the Premier getting busted, the EU, the COI, general fiscal shenanigans/malfeasance, somethings gotta give.

First article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-as-outgoing-governor-decries-corruption

Second article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...sh-virgin-islands-to-tax-haven-blacklist

Re: Interesting reading - 05/05/2022 06:53 PM

for anyone who wants to watch live.
Posted By: gordapeak

Re: Interesting reading - 05/05/2022 07:37 PM

So, if he is removed, does that not also eliminate the reason he was granted bail? As such, I am guessing the prosecutors could move to revoke it.

Re: Interesting reading - 05/05/2022 08:25 PM

Passed.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Interesting reading - 05/05/2022 09:07 PM

https://www.tiktok.com/@itz.tjaay/video/7093333206732131590?_t=8S133wNBEBB&_r=1&fbclid=IwAR2Nw2eVPoZAphllAbko8iaBT83tEoVLzqJJ4Gspmd5ceuTb-vHUZ4ENxPU

You have to cut & paste it

Re: Interesting reading - 05/05/2022 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by tradewinds
https://www.tiktok.com/@itz.tjaay/video/7093333206732131590?_t=8S133wNBEBB&_r=1&fbclid=IwAR2Nw2eVPoZAphllAbko8iaBT83tEoVLzqJJ4Gspmd5ceuTb-vHUZ4ENxPU

I can't get enough of these!
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Interesting reading - 05/06/2022 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by tradewinds

Awesome. Thanks!

Re: Interesting reading - 05/10/2022 12:59 PM

It looks like federal prosecutors have appealed the bail decision, so Fahie is still in jail, is that correct?

Link
And my feeling is that he probably couldn't meet Nebbia conditions anyway?

Re: Interesting reading - 05/10/2022 01:40 PM

The big income maker that has fueled the government is the corporate domicile formation in the bvi associated with their opaque banking structure. Though there has been some reported cracks in the system due to international pressure it remains a goto for wealthy of the world of all stripes.

British takeover would likely involve quick changes in transparency and regulation. While it should be argued that's a great policy for the world at large , it will devastate the banking industry and the largest source of income, hurting the people that corrupt government officials have been cheating. Those corporate entities would move to the Caymens,Bahamas etc along with the associated fees .

I would imagine besides many politicians not wanting to lose their power, there are some who know the impact this would have and something less than a total British take over might preserve a good deal of the revenue.

Will be hard to weed out the corruption without a takeover one would think. However I really dread seeing a much higher level of poverty hit those islands.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline