TravelTalkOnline

the future of STT to BVI ferries

Posted By: BPT

the future of STT to BVI ferries - 06/14/2022 07:01 PM

Planning our New Years trip to VG. Last year we flew to SJU and took Cape Air to VG. Wonderful. Easy. But expensive!! For our return this year, I'd love to avoid the $2k Cape Air flights and take ferries from STT. My concern is if we can trust the ferry system & schedule to run and/or even kind of fit into our schedule? Our dates are Dec 26, which is a Monday and Jan 3 which is a Tuesday. Would you bite the bullet and spend the money for the sure thing (Cape Air) or wait and risk it with the ferries and hope all is well in December? Pre-covid, this would be a non-issue!! Today, I'm unsure.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: the future of STT to BVI ferries - 06/14/2022 07:27 PM

That is also a holiday (Boxing Day) which might influence ferry schedules to a degree. What does it cost if you lose a night of accommodations on VG, have to buy a new hotel in STT, get extra taxis, tips, and meals in STT?

I'm a sure thing guy, especially on vacation; that said, my last 3 Cape Air flights all cancelled in the last 4 weeks and I had to buy charters; so that didn't really work out.

The ferries are currently more reliable than the local air options due to staffing.

Good luck.
Posted By: mfringsley

Re: the future of STT to BVI ferries - 06/14/2022 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht
That is also a holiday (Boxing Day) which might influence ferry schedules to a degree. What does it cost if you lose a night of accommodations on VG, have to buy a new hotel in STT, get extra taxis, tips, and meals in STT?

I'm a sure thing guy, especially on vacation; that said, my last 3 Cape Air flights all cancelled in the last 4 weeks and I had to buy charters; so that didn't really work out.

The ferries are currently more reliable than the local air options due to staffing.

Good luck.

Certainly don't like those odds on Cape Air considering we are supposed to use them this upcoming Saturday from SJU to EIS! They did cancel our previous flight for this itinerary about 2 months ago but we got on a different flight and it seems to be sticking at the moment. Maybe it helps that it's with a United codeshare. Finger's crossed!
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: the future of STT to BVI ferries - 06/14/2022 07:42 PM

Where are you flying into STT from? Arrival time?
We have been flying into STT and using the ferries for 20 years. While we have had a few hiccups along the way, we have never experienced a nightmare or been out any money. It has always been my thought that the more connecting flights you add and the more legs of the journey, the more potential there is for problems. Especially now with so many airline issues.
We are also arriving on Dec 26th and heading to VG. We always plan on the first ferry possible and leave a backup plan. Luckily for a VG arrival, plan B includes later options out of Trellis. It is always a long day but I much prefer to get there in one travel day. I am usually on the ferry drinking a Carib by 2:45.
Posted By: Husker

Re: the future of STT to BVI ferries - 06/14/2022 07:49 PM

According to FlightAware for SJU to EIS:
Monday (6/13) - Cape Air was 6 for 6 (no cancellations)
Tuesday - Cape Air has completed 2 flights, cancelled 2 and the 5:00 flight is scheduled.

InterCaribbean has been averaging 2 for 3 for the last couple months....by my casual observation.

We came down in May (on IC and Silver) and didn't have any issues. Had some luck on our side, I guess. But, we had some flexibility so weren't too stressed about it.

I would definitely ferry (or water taxi) to STT for the return trip home....less chance screwing up your connecting flight(s)
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: the future of STT to BVI ferries - 06/14/2022 09:15 PM

The ferries tend to be very reliable just late often. If they do have a mechanical one of the other companies fills in. There is a surplus of ferries. Cape Air is a excellent airline however they are losing pilots like crazy and that is going to accelerate rapidly with the newly announced regional pilot pay rates. Your odds of getting there are much higher with the ferry.
G
Posted By: Ifeltlikeagringo

Re: the future of STT to BVI ferries - 06/15/2022 10:30 PM

Honestly, unless everything is truly closed down, there will be ferries from Saint Thomas to Tortola. Maybe not Virgin Gorda, but Tortola. It's how the economy operates and they're always busy enough to justify the trip. We had a long but trouble-free trip in February that involved a connecting flight, a taxi to the ferry dock, a ferry to Tortola, a taxi to Trellis Bay, and a ferry to Virgin Gorda. A delay anywhere might have messed it up, but we had time for a convivial dinner with people doing the same thing at Trellis Bay--and once you're there, you're on Virgin Gorda, one of the most relaxing places anywhere.
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: the future of STT to BVI ferries - 06/16/2022 01:10 PM

The Virgin Gorda ferries have always been reliable since many locals depend on getting to and from Tortola for work.
Posted By: TomGarvey

Re: the future of STT to BVI ferries - 06/16/2022 01:50 PM

Aquatic Rentals is back up & running, and yesterday I was on their 9:00 ferry from Road Town to Red Hook. It's a very nice boat, very good onboard customer service - free bottles of water - and they left RT a few minutes early. That said, there were only seven passengers on board. I hope they stick with it, they're a very good new option.
Posted By: BSer

Re: the future of STT to BVI ferries - 07/28/2022 08:18 PM

I was down there in June and it was impossible to make the last ferry from Native Son, and Smith's was sold out. So I would book that last 5:00 ferry from Smith's if possible next time. But I chimed in mostly to add that I was lucky enough that aquatic rentals vi was operating one at 6:00 pm out of Red Hook. See link below.

https://www.aquaticrentalsvi.com/
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: the future of STT to BVI ferries - 07/29/2022 12:30 PM

The ferry schedules may get closer to normal with the Covid restrictions having been lifted.
Posted By: Shifty

Re: the future of STT to BVI ferries - 08/09/2022 03:54 PM

I just browsed Native Son's website to search ferry availability from St. Thomas to Tortola on our date of travel (Jan. 6, 2023). There was a notice indicating that all passengers will require a valid negative covid test to board the ferry. Can anyone advise whether that is, in fact, the case, or whether the website isn't updated?
Posted By: Manpot

Re: the future of STT to BVI ferries - 08/09/2022 04:03 PM

I believe that is out of date. I travelled back on Smith's last week and no test required. I think someone earlier contacted Native Son and they said they had to update their website.
Posted By: Shifty

Re: the future of STT to BVI ferries - 08/09/2022 04:22 PM

I assumed that was the case. Thanks much.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: the future of STT to BVI ferries - 08/09/2022 06:15 PM

thru march

Attached picture ferry august 2022.jpg
Attached picture ferry september 2022.jpg
Attached picture ferry october 2022.jpg
Attached picture ferry november 2022.jpg
Attached picture ferry december 2022.jpg
Attached picture ferry january 2023.jpg
Attached picture ferry march 2023.jpg
Attached picture ferry february 2023.jpg
Attached picture ferry april 2023.jpg
Posted By: cbf

Re: the future of STT to BVI ferries - 08/10/2022 12:29 AM

Thank you for posting
Posted By: TRIM

Re: the future of STT to BVI ferries - 09/01/2022 02:28 AM

Jason, where do you find these schedules with all of the companies shown? I can’t find any updated schedules and wanted to see if anything has changed for Nov.
Posted By: TomGarvey

Re: the future of STT to BVI ferries - 09/01/2022 11:42 AM

Hi Jason, thanks for posting this! What are your thoughts about why Aquatic is not included on the schedules?
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: the future of STT to BVI ferries - 09/01/2022 01:01 PM

10 AM ferry is back from Roadtown in November!! In related news water taxi bookings drop in half in November.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline