TravelTalkOnline

Spring Bay vs. The Baths or all the same

Posted By: tangerine3

Spring Bay vs. The Baths or all the same - 05/20/2023 01:17 PM

We are staying on VG for 4 days and will have a rental car. I have only been to the baths by boat. If we wanted to spend some time at Spring Bay that looks separate from The Baths how do we get there by car? Also does Spring Bay and The Baths connect in anyway by a trail?

Which road would be turn down to park and get to Spring Bay. Thank you.

Attached picture the baths and spring bay.jpg
Posted By: skipdastraw

Re: Spring Bay vs. The Baths or all the same - 05/20/2023 01:26 PM

Both are well marked. The entrance to Spring Bay has a big sign at the entrance and The Baths is pretty much the end of the road.
No, you cannot get to the Baths from Spring Bay.
Posted By: Kmon

Re: Spring Bay vs. The Baths or all the same - 05/20/2023 04:05 PM

The entrance to the Spring Bay dirt parking area is about 50 yds up from the top of your map on the main road. From the parking lot there is
an approximately 200 yd trail down to an area known as "The Crawl" which is next to Spring Bay.

The only way to get to the Baths from Spring Bay is to climb over and through some difficult rocks.

BTW: The Crawl got its name from the locals using it as a fish corral in the past to catch fish. The name The Corral morphed into The Crawl over the years!

Re: Spring Bay vs. The Baths or all the same - 05/20/2023 05:06 PM

Kmon-interesting history! The crawl is still part of Spring Bay National Park though. Since there is only one trail in, OP should know that access to the smaller protected cove as well as the bigger bay area is all via that one parking lot and trail.
Posted By: tangerine3

Re: Spring Bay vs. The Baths or all the same - 05/21/2023 05:39 PM

thanks yes I see a road that I cut off just above the top one, we will look for sign. Is there any snorkeling at Spring Bay? I seem to remember the water is pretty rough at least getting to the baths from a dinghy it was . . . . it will be next week. If not any places on Virgin Gorda we can get to by car and do some snorkeling from the shore, thanks again.
Posted By: Sandsailsun

Re: Spring Bay vs. The Baths or all the same - 05/22/2023 01:12 PM

We are also here now and spent a few days on Spring . If the swells are down there is a bit of snorkelling in the crawl area but be careful of surge around the boulders. I am a scaredy cat swimmer tho .
Have fun
Posted By: macaroni

Re: Spring Bay vs. The Baths or all the same - 05/22/2023 01:31 PM

Go to Savannah bay for snorkeling….
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Spring Bay vs. The Baths or all the same - 05/22/2023 02:17 PM

The water at the Baths/Spring Bay can vary from rough to dead calm. It’s a combination of wind speed/direction and swell. Ideally you want zero swell and a ENE wind direction.

Re: Spring Bay vs. The Baths or all the same - 05/22/2023 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by macaroni
Go to Savannah bay for snorkelling….

Agree - headed there in a few hours . Awesome snorkelling there and much calmer
Posted By: VirginGordaResident

Re: Spring Bay vs. The Baths or all the same - 05/22/2023 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by tangerine3
thanks yes I see a road that I cut off just above the top one, we will look for sign. Is there any snorkeling at Spring Bay? I seem to remember the water is pretty rough at least getting to the baths from a dinghy it was . . . . it will be next week. If not any places on Virgin Gorda we can get to by car and do some snorkeling from the shore, thanks again.

You can definitely snorkel off the beach at Savannah Bay, but I prefer two other places -

1.) Nail Bay Beach - Located close to the Sugarcane restaurant. Head to the beach, and then snorkel out to the rocks to the right. Great coral, decent marine life

2.) Long Bay Beach - Located at Mountain Point, between Sugarcane Restaurant and Hog Heaven. Best snorkeling is on the beach, then snorkel the rocks to the left. If you are up for a longer swim, you can also head all the way to the right of the beach, and then snorkel out to Mountain Point, which is great snorkeling. But a significantly longer swim as well
Posted By: Kmon

Re: Spring Bay vs. The Baths or all the same - 05/22/2023 03:41 PM

Spring Bay is usually fairly calm this time of year. The big swells are more common December-April.

Re: Spring Bay vs. The Baths or all the same - 05/22/2023 05:52 PM

I'm going to be the outlier here and encourage you to hop on an excursion for the best snorkeling. The reefs aren't what they once were and shore snorkeling is underwhelming IMHO but I guess it depends on expectations too.

Re: Spring Bay vs. The Baths or all the same - 05/23/2023 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by VirginGordaResident

You can definitely snorkel off the beach at Savannah Bay, but I prefer two other places -

1.) Nail Bay Beach - Located close to the Sugarcane restaurant. Head to the beach, and then snorkel out to the rocks to the right. Great coral, decent marine life

2.) Long Bay Beach - Located at Mountain Point, between Sugarcane Restaurant and Hog Heaven. Best snorkeling is on the beach, then snorkel the rocks to the left. If you are up for a longer swim, you can also head all the way to the right of the beach, and then snorkel out to Mountain Point, which is great snorkeling. But a significantly longer swim as well

Thank you so so much for this info - will be checking this out !
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline