TravelTalkOnline

Advice - Croatia..

Posted By: FrenchLaundry

Advice - Croatia.. - 05/23/2023 02:59 PM

I know this is not related to the BVI.. I have sailed a lot in the BVI. I am curious if anyone has sailed out of Dubronik and how hard it is to sail in those waters?

Troy
Posted By: jphart

Re: Advice - Croatia.. - 05/24/2023 03:45 AM

The sailing is fantastic, though we chartered from Split/Marina.
Crystal clear water, fantastic people, fabulous food.
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: Advice - Croatia.. - 05/24/2023 07:59 AM

Haven't been yet but I'm going from Split in September. May get down to Dubrovnik as we have two weeks. Big difference I'm expecting is the wind. The Med is usually 3 weeks of calm followed by a week of storms.
Posted By: Husker

Re: Advice - Croatia.. - 05/24/2023 08:18 PM

We did a week out of Agana (near Split) about 5 years ago. Fantastic!! Nothing like BVI or Caribbean generally, but just as excellent. Definitely different winds...much influenced by the coastal mountains. We bare-boated but decided to hire a captain and were very glad we did. Mostly bc he was a great tour guide, got us the choice spots along the town quays, but also he knew where to go when the wind and weather got crazy. The extra was cost very reasonable and well worth it.
Have fun.
Posted By: snmhanson

Re: Advice - Croatia.. - 05/24/2023 10:57 PM

We chartered one-way from Split to Dubrovnick over three weeks last year. We've sailed pretty much the entire Caribbean chain over the past 20+ years and Croatia is by far my favorite charter to date. Perfectly clear water, great culture, and some very cool sights to see. Also easy to find good pizza if that's your thing.

There was enough breeze to be able to raise the sails every day, but winds were generally on the light side for us with only a few days of 15+ knots. That said, it is common knowledge that things can get pretty intense when the Bura blows. My friends got hit with a Bura a week before we were there and ended up dragging their anchor during the night. You just need to be aware of what to look for and plan ahead. A couple of other things to consider is that you will have to med-moor with lazy lines so you should be comfortable with that concept, and when anchoring you will often have to be stern to shore with a line or two tied off to a tree or rock. If you've sailed the BVIs a few times and are comfortable with that then you should be fine in Croatia.
Posted By: CaptainJay

Re: Advice - Croatia.. - 05/26/2023 02:41 PM

I sailed out of Trogir/Split with Ultra sailing. I had a great time. You should do two weeks minimum. You sail longer distances. I would spend two days in every port sail every other day if I did it again.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline