TravelTalkOnline

Visit to Lovango Resort

Posted By: RickG

Visit to Lovango Resort - 01/13/2021 01:29 PM

We reserved a mooring ($37) and a 7:30pm dinner seating at Lovango Resort. We enjoyed it, but they are still working out the kinks. Pricing is similar to Pirate's Bight with wine slightly less expensive. It's a novelty for us and certainly worth a first visit. Our St. Thomian server was new to fine dining, but she was so delightful and attentive that it more than made up for it. Some of the remaining staff are from New England.

This morning we are rocking and rolling in the anchorage. It is pretty exposed and there are white caps among the moorings.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Visit to Lovango Resort - 01/13/2021 03:19 PM

Thanks for the update Rick. We have a mooring reserved next month (mid-month) for overnight and dinner. We'll be on a Lagoon 450. Based on the mooring feld conditions would you suggest skipping this? Our guests are newbies......
Posted By: SonOfTheSea

Re: Visit to Lovango Resort - 01/13/2021 04:30 PM

We were there two weeks ago and had a bouncy night on a mooring just off the shoreline. Winds were ENE around 20-25mph but the boat was swinging in multiple directions. Dinghy was making all kinds of noise smacking into the boat lol. I think we woke up more from the noise of that rather than the boat rocking though. I’d recommend it for overnight if winds are a little lighter than what we experienced but it was still okay. As for dinner, we loved the sea urchin gnocchi and fresh catch swordfish!
Posted By: CaptnAndy

Re: Visit to Lovango Resort - 01/13/2021 04:59 PM

We are booked for a mooring ball & dinner in Mid-February. We were told our mooring ball would be
available at 5 pm. Are we allowed to use the pool, etcetera at the resort before or after our dinner?

Re: Visit to Lovango Resort - 01/13/2021 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by MIDiver
Thanks for the update Rick. We have a mooring reserved next month (mid-month) for overnight and dinner. We'll be on a Lagoon 450. Based on the mooring feld conditions would you suggest skipping this? Our guests are newbies......

It was blowing 20 gusting 25 from the East so it was a bit sporty. I would use your judgement and the weather report. It was a nice new stop.

Cheers, RickG

Re: Visit to Lovango Resort - 01/13/2021 05:04 PM

I saw people playing cornhole after dinner. We did not wander about as we were the last to be seated and they were closing up. They are happy to answer questions. Give them a call.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Visit to Lovango Resort - 01/13/2021 09:34 PM

Over the many years of Daysailing I have used the South side of Lovango many times for a snorkel stop.
There were no moorings available in those days so anchoring was always a careful drop for sure.
The Current can really wreak havoc with the way the boat faces with the wind and really demands some attention if staying overnight -- especially in the Eastern most section of the cove.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Visit to Lovango Resort - 01/13/2021 09:54 PM

Have to agree that sometimes the current running between Lovango and the Durloe cays can reach 5k
Posted By: Cleobeach

Re: Visit to Lovango Resort - 01/13/2021 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by RickG
Our St. Thomian server was new to fine dining, but she was so delightful and attentive that it more than made up for it. Some of the remaining staff are from New England.

Cheers, RickG

Isn’t that something how much attitude can make up for something, good for them. I was that experienced server once and remember the kind people. Are you still in the F&B biz?

If the stars align, we will stop by next month. I also want to hit Zozo’s as well.
Posted By: MIDiver

Re: Visit to Lovango Resort - 01/13/2021 11:46 PM

Cleobeach - we're hitting Lovango (wind Gods willing for the overnight) day 1 and ZoZo's day 2 of our adventure around STJ. Counting the days until I can make my 30 day in advance reservation at ZoZo's. I've been communicating with both ZoZo's and Lovango and they both have been super to work with.
Posted By: jphart

Re: Visit to Lovango Resort - 01/13/2021 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by CaptnAndy
We are booked for a mooring ball & dinner in Mid-February. We were told our mooring ball would be
available at 5 pm. Are we allowed to use the pool, etcetera at the resort before or after our dinner?

First paragraph time may be a typo, as I don’t see anybody leaving or taking a mooring at 10pm!

Lovango website
Dinner Moorings at Lovango: Available every night between 5 PM and 10 PM. $35 per mooring. Due to COVID capacity requirements, arrival on Lovango is limited to 20 minutes before your dinner reservation time. Reservations Strongly Recommended

Overnight moorings at Lovango: Available every night between 5 PM until 10 AM the following day. $35 per mooring.

Due to COVID capacity requirements, arrival on Lovango is limited to 20 minutes before your dinner reservation time. Reservations Strongly Recommended
All guests who reserve a dinner or overnight mooring are required to dine at the Lovango Restaurant. We will confirm your dining time 24 hours in advance of your arrival.

Re: Visit to Lovango Resort - 01/15/2021 02:05 PM

Cleobeach, we closed the brewery in 2019 after ten years. I am glad to be out of the business during COVID.

Cheers, RickG

Re: Visit to Lovango Resort - 01/15/2021 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by RickG
Cleobeach, we closed the brewery in 2019 after ten years. I am glad to be out of the business during COVID.

Cheers, RickG

We have family and close friends in the same biz and 2020/2021 to date have been brutal. The family member is already planning on shutting the doors after the summer season.

Zozo's responded to my email but being that we are sailing, I didn't make a reservation. We will likely do the small plates/booze unless we get lucky with a last minute reservation (unilkely)

Re: Visit to Lovango Resort - 01/15/2021 08:21 PM

I am hearing both that people like Zozo's and others think the value is not there. We ate at The Terrace last night and it was an excellent experience. We are hearing very good things about Morgan's Mango this season. But, using the Caneel/Lind Point anchorage you get day boat wakes starting at 9AM. At least the dreaded BVI and Caneel Bay ferry wakes are not posing dangerous life threatening wakes any more. I really wish VIPCA would put in a controlled mooring field in Cruz Bay.

Cheers, RickG

Re: Visit to Lovango Resort - 01/16/2021 01:20 AM

We are trusting the captain to chart the course for the most enjoyable trip. Fingers crossed we can hit at least one. I would love to at least stop by Morgan’s for a Mango Tango. Morgan’s was our first meal of our first STJ trip nearly 26 years ago.
Posted By: CaptainVlad

Re: Visit to Lovango Resort - 01/24/2021 06:26 AM

Based on my experience from just a few days ago, Lavango mooring will be rocky at night. If you are not dining at Zozo - may be consider that instead.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline