TravelTalkOnline

Best trolling lure for fishing the south drop?

Posted By: Twanger

Best trolling lure for fishing the south drop? - 06/07/2021 08:26 PM

We will be bareboating the USVI and are planning to spend a day fishing the south drop. What artificial lure should we get for Cuban yo-yo and rod and reel? Hoping to catch anything ... tuna, wahoo, mahi...
Posted By: BEERMAN

Re: Best trolling lure for fishing the south drop? - 06/07/2021 08:53 PM

I have been using Williamson Tuna rigs for year. They are inexpensive, but great quality. They have a 4 or 5 lure kit with assortment of skirt colors and nice storage bag. I really like the blue/white, especially when flying fish are around! but have caught tuna, mahi etc on all lures. I fish with homemade maui hand line and put a 3 foot steel leader with large swivel on it. Good luck!

Attached picture Rick Mahi Ragnar.jpg
Posted By: RickG

Re: Best trolling lure for fishing the south drop? - 06/08/2021 12:58 PM

Yep, Blue White skirt is the best lure for us. After that, a multi-color skirt. Ballyhoo works great too.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Best trolling lure for fishing the south drop? - 06/08/2021 11:16 PM

Zuker ZF7 blue-white tuna feather. I prefer to rig them with 15 ft of 300 lb mono leader (easier to land fish and will withstand a few barracuda hits and even a wahoo hit) and Mustad 7691S size 8/0 hook.

I find this significantly outperforms my green-yellow or purple lures by 4 to 1, though I did catch a 48" wahoo last week on a purple Zuker tuna feather coming through the Gulf Stream near Cape Hatteras.

Also, I get more hookups on rod trolled about 250 ft back than my handlines that range from 75 to 150 ft.
Posted By: LocalSailor

Re: Best trolling lure for fishing the south drop? - 06/09/2021 03:30 AM

My most productive artificial lure has been a large yellow feather with a big red eye.
Posted By: Twanger

Re: Best trolling lure for fishing the south drop? - 06/11/2021 02:04 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions!
Posted By: TC42

Re: Best trolling lure for fishing the south drop? - 06/11/2021 11:02 AM

We had lines out back in April sailing to and from St. Croix. We had one bite...barracuda.
Posted By: TRIM

Re: Best trolling lure for fishing the south drop? - 06/15/2021 01:51 AM

Taking notes on the suggestions already listed. Does anyone have suggestions for their favorite lure for trolling between islands in the BVI? Cruising to Anegada? I finally have a crew that wants to fish, so will be the first time trolling while cruising in a catamaran.
How far is the north drop off of Anegada?
Thank you for any suggestions. The trip is in Dec, but slowly gathering fishing gear now.
Posted By: cwoody

Re: Best trolling lure for fishing the south drop? - 06/15/2021 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by TRIM
Does anyone have suggestions for their favorite lure for trolling between islands in the BVI?

Looks like folks have reported success with a variety of lures.

I got the most hits on the frozen ballyhoo but I never went out to any of the drops.

Got a couple of hits when passing near an island. When passing near the shore, try and cut from deep to shallower water.

Be sure to train the crew on the "Fish On" drill!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline