TravelTalkOnline

Buck Island Reef National Monument

Posted By: AustinRincon

Buck Island Reef National Monument - 06/09/2021 05:46 PM

Has anyone overnighted at Buck Island recently? Website says special permit is required to overnight at West Beach, which I was aware of, but NPS office emailed saying day use only.

NPS office response:

"The 2012 anchoring permit application is still valid. There is no overnight anchoring at Buck Island. It is day-use only. Please fill out the application and email it back to me. I'll need a copy of a valid ID and registration of the vessel. Let me know if you have any more questions. No notarized letter needed."

Thanks for any insight.
Posted By: Swifty

Re: Buck Island Reef National Monument - 06/09/2021 07:35 PM

We were there at the end of April and were under the assumption that our anchor permit allowed for an overnight stay. But the park police came by at 4:30 and kicked us out so we headed back to Christiansted. When I looked at the email from the park service again, I realized that it did say no overnight anchoring.
Posted By: TC42

Re: Buck Island Reef National Monument - 06/10/2021 11:38 AM

Agree with Swifty. No overnight stays as of April.
Posted By: AustinRincon

Re: Buck Island Reef National Monument - 06/10/2021 02:31 PM

Well dang. Thanks for the reply.
Posted By: TC42

Re: Buck Island Reef National Monument - 06/10/2021 10:30 PM

Go there for the day and stay in Fredericksted (that's what we did). Admittedly, it isn't as nice but is acceptable.
Posted By: Swifty

Re: Buck Island Reef National Monument - 06/11/2021 12:54 AM

The pier in Fredericksted is very cool to snorkel. And we really enjoyed hanging out at The Fred for happy hour!
Posted By: jandreas

Re: Buck Island Reef National Monument - 06/12/2021 02:38 PM

Interesting... I see boats overnighting off west beach @ Buck Island nearly every night. DPNR is/was allowing overnight anchoring just south of Buck at Coakley Bay which is a LOT calmer than anything around Buck.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline