TravelTalkOnline

No diving off moorings boat???

Posted By: tangerine3

No diving off moorings boat??? - 04/30/2024 07:31 PM

We are chartering with moorings on Friday and there is a person that wanted to do a couple of dives and he contacted the dive shop at the base and was told no diving off boat, that sounds odd is that true?

Also just called "we be divin" tank rentals and she said they deliver to the moorings all the time, we are confused, any clarification would be appreciated
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: No diving off moorings boat??? - 04/30/2024 09:51 PM

It must be some kind of misunderstanding... we have had SCD put tanks and dive gear aboard our Moorings boat not long ago, and we see it all the time. "Diving off the boat"... any chance someone was thinking it meant leaping off the bimini?

Re: No diving off moorings boat??? - 04/30/2024 10:49 PM

We think what is happening is he is only diving by himself no buddy diver? But he is a certified dive Master idk they are sorting it out

Re: No diving off moorings boat??? - 04/30/2024 11:32 PM

Does having a moorings captain have anything to do with it?

Re: No diving off moorings boat??? - 04/30/2024 11:51 PM

We did not have one.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: No diving off moorings boat??? - 05/01/2024 12:58 AM

I have SCD put tanks on a Moorings boat every time I go. Go to their website and fill out the dive rental form. They have one just for the Moorings. They will bring the tanks right to the boat. They will want a dive card.
G

https://www.sailcaribbeandivers.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/Moorings-Rental-form-2023.pdf

Re: No diving off moorings boat??? - 05/01/2024 11:56 AM

Georgec1 are you the only diver and do you have a captain or do you sail the boat yourself?
Posted By: Brent

Re: No diving off moorings boat??? - 05/01/2024 12:25 PM

Ahoy Captains,

Maybe they mean no 'Diving' or Jumping off the Hard Bimini.
Maybe the Hard Bimini is cantilevered for protection from the Sun and Rain, not for 1/2 the crew to simultaneously do selfies?
Maybe the Hard Bimini is gently slopped to facilitate water run off and can get slippery with salt water spray.
Bouncing off the deck or lifelines may be entertaining for your neighbors but not for your Captain or VISAR.

The Captains Compass has never had any objections to SCUBA diving off any Yacht in over 25 Years of Chartering.
I do recommend dive tanks be stored in the in-line 4 tank rack, as opposed to the 2x3 rack, to facilitate better movement around the deck, that You check each tank for at lest 2200 lbs of air, and bring your own Mask.
And I do recommend a Rendezvous Dive for the Rhone to maximize the Value and Safety of the dive experience.
And I do recommend You leave One Person on the Yacht that knows how to start the engines, considering the weather and condition of some dive site moorings.

I Need More Quality Cats for Chartering !
Fair Winds, Brent
thecaptainscompass.com Yacht Charters and Management
heatseekerinternational.com 5% Comm and Sales-Tax-Free Yacht Brokerage
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: No diving off moorings boat??? - 05/01/2024 08:32 PM

I sail the boat myself. I have ordered from two to 16 tanks without an issue. I do dive solo now and then but limit the depth to 30 feet if alone.
Posted By: Steve27

Re: No diving off moorings boat??? - 05/02/2024 09:21 PM

Funny because all the new Mooring's boat have tank holders in the railing, We have dove for years off the Moorings boats. Maybe he thought actual diving (Jumping) off the boat? Heck there is even videos from the Moorings talking about diving and they even supply snorkeling gear.

Re: No diving off moorings boat??? - 05/03/2024 12:49 AM

"Moorings base - can we dive off the boat?"

"No!"
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline