TravelTalkOnline

Sailing between St Martin and Antigua

Posted By: ligot

Sailing between St Martin and Antigua - 02/08/2015 07:09 PM

We're thinking of doing a bareboat charter between Antigua and St Martin in Dec 2015. 3 Couples with varying experience.

Looking for guidance on
sail direction
possible charter companies
clearing in information
possible itinerary
great things to do/see
anything we might miss and suggestions for a fun charter

Thanks for any feedback or even direction on where to go for more research.

Thanks!
Posted By: sailbynight

Re: Sailing between St Martin and Antigua - 02/08/2015 10:04 PM

That is a big trip, and very exciting. Are you thinking one-way or out and back?
You definitely want to start upwind, in Antigua.

We will typically do the following:
Falmouth Harbour, Antigua
Barbuda
Nevis
St Barth
Anguilla
St. Martin
St Maarten

These are big sails, so be sure all are interested in that. 3-6 hours depending on the day and the boat.
Provisioning in Antigua is okay, but you have to drive up past St. Johns to the Epicurean. 35-40 minutes each way. Big store with everything you need, but prices are typically 20% higher than Grand Marche in St. Maarten.

That time of year, winds are typically east, with some north. Christmas Winds are common, in the 20's. Otherwise, trades are more easterly, in the mid to high teens.

Clearing in and out of Antigua and Barbuda is straightforward but detailed. Same with St. Kitts & Nevis

St. Barth and French St. Martin are simple and can be done on line.
Posted By: ligot

Re: Sailing between St Martin and Antigua - 02/08/2015 11:09 PM

That's great info. Do you have your own boat or do you charter? We're reviewing Dream Yacht, Sunsail and Horizon but we're wondering about others.

Thx for your help.
Posted By: Ritchard

Re: Sailing between St Martin and Antigua - 02/09/2015 01:31 PM

Sounds like a great sail.

I am counting the days until April 25 when my boat goes back in the water almost as much as I am counting the days until next week's SXM trip. Well, not really.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline