TravelTalkOnline

Store featuring local crafts on Front Street

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Store featuring local crafts on Front Street - 06/08/2015 12:25 PM

Daily Herald story Sounds like a neat place to check out.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Store featuring local crafts on Front Street - 06/08/2015 12:37 PM

I love this! I have no interest in the jewelry stores, but love to purchase locally-made items when I travel!
Posted By: JimCandD

Re: Store featuring local crafts on Front Street - 06/08/2015 09:20 PM

We also like locally made crafts. It is hard to find now with a lot of what is sold at Marigot market as well as other places is not made on the island. We bought a couple of baskets from Reality (a local that was selling on the beach)on Orient beach a few years back and always remember him making them while we talked to him. It is nice to know that the money goes to local people than the larger businesses.

Re: Store featuring local crafts on Front Street - 06/08/2015 11:52 PM

Who's the guy who paints the coconut shells with a map of the island? They're cut in half and on a string, to be used as a bird feeder. I have one of those, and have bought them for gifts as well. He clearly makes them the day he sells them, because you can smell the fresh varnish.
Posted By: biglar

Re: Store featuring local crafts on Front Street - 06/09/2015 12:35 AM

There are so many great artists on the island and it's great they have a central location to display and sell their work. We will put it on our list of places to stop next year.
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Store featuring local crafts on Front Street - 06/09/2015 12:45 AM

Nice idea. I hope they are successful in this new endeavour. Looking forward to shopping there on my next visit.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Store featuring local crafts on Front Street - 06/09/2015 02:27 AM

GaKaye said:
Who's the guy who paints the coconut shells with a map of the island? They're cut in half and on a string, to be used as a bird feeder. I have one of those, and have bought them for gifts as well. He clearly makes them the day he sells them, because you can smell the fresh varnish.

Do you mean Rasmo?
In 2013 I posted about the things I purchased from him, and this was one of the comments on that thread:

Quote:

jazzgal said:
Another very enjoyable installment. What is Calabash tree art and who is Rasmo?

Thanks for posting the great pictures.

Lol...THIS is Rasmo! (Mislabeled by the guy who posted).
Rasmo has a spiel, and "it's a Christmas decoration, it's a purse, it's a bird feeder, it's a lunch box, keeps your treasures" "hand painted by Rasmo".
Cool dude. I bought 3 of varying sizes, and suggested he get smaller ones in Christmassy colors this time of year! He'd really do well.
I like the island map or sailboats.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BXFrX1bKYvs&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBXFrX1bKYvs

http://djeddieo.wordpress.com/tag/portishead/
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Store featuring local crafts on Front Street - 06/09/2015 02:53 AM

I usually avoid downtown Pburg like the plague but have just put this on my list to check out before I leave. Thanks for posting the link!
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Store featuring local crafts on Front Street - 06/09/2015 02:57 AM

Next to Antoine's...totally looking forward to checking it out in 24 days.
Posted By: beechbumms

Re: Store featuring local crafts on Front Street - 06/09/2015 04:03 AM

We are just like you, but I agree, this is definitely a place we want to check out!

Re: Store featuring local crafts on Front Street - 06/09/2015 10:33 AM

YES! That's the guy! It's a very unique item and is definitely handmade on the island.
Posted By: kdskis2

Re: Store featuring local crafts on Front Street - 06/10/2015 01:00 AM

Great to know! We shop local. This is a boon to the island!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline